• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Dutch Invasion of England....

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
471px-William_III_of_England.jpg

True historians know that there was more than just one invasion of England besides King William I the Conquerer's invasion from Normandy and the subsequent Battle of Hastings in 1066 - The Norman Conquest. Most folks don't know about the others however....

On this day in 1688, the Dutch Stadholder Prince William of Orange-Nassau invaded England.

Landing at Torbay, the English were shocked by the massive size of Williams fleet and the thousands of troops streaming up to the shores in countless boats there. William had assembled a fleet of 463 ships and an Army of 40,000 men (most of whom were hardened Dutch, Danish and German veteran professionals who had learned their trade fighting the French). This force was over double the size of the Spanish Armada and Parma's Army that attempted invading a century before.

The Dutch met a token English resistance force initially but found their way mostly unhindered on their march to London. Several small bloody battles and skirmishes did occur against King James' troops throughout the rest of the month and into December. Even after London was occupied and most of its inhabitants had fled - including the King and court, two more small battles occurred on the 5th and 9th of December, before peace was achieved.

With James now successfully deposed and many of the English nobles (against Catholic James from the beginning) endorsing the invading Protestant Dutchman's bid for kingship. Dutch King William III whose mother was King Charles I's eldest daughter, was crowned King of England with Mary Stuart (the daughter of King James) as his Queen.

James did mount a resistance and raised an Army of primarily Irish peasants, to attempt to take back his throne. James and the Stuart (Jacobite) cause were finally utterly crushed by the primarily professional Dutch and Danish troops near Drogheada, Ireland at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

This historic event has often been called “The Glorious Revolution” of 1688. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution Many English historians labeled it “The Bloodless Revolution”, but that is obviously a known myth that has survived because of the event's original preceding and subsequent propaganda.

Some would even say this is one of the first true historical examples of the skillful manipulation of public opinion and psy-ops. Indeed, some powerful English lords did approach William with the idea of invasion as early as February, but the Stadholder had no ambitions to be the King of England. His reason for invading England and accepting Kingship was to simply bring Britain into the strong alliance he had formed against his powerful enemy the “Sun King” Louis XIV and the French.

Interestingly James was warned numerous times of the Dutch preparations to invade by both Papal spies and French envoys as early as September, but payed them no mind and simply thought they were exaggerating. Some amazing political maneuvering was at work on the continent and Louis the XIV was busy helping the Emperor in his fight against the Turks on Germany's eastern frontier. In fact the Emperor had just retaken Belgrade in a bloody battle and siege. Meanwhile King Louis plotted to invade the weak west German states at the same time while the Emperor was occupied in the east.

William in a brilliant stroke of strategic statecraft and diplomacy signed treaties with many of the German Elector Princes and brought their combined armies into Holland to guard both their own and the Dutch borders against the French while he used the vast majority of his troops to invade England.

William and his advisors were clearly worried by possible English resistance and knew if the country was so inclined it could quickly raise a formidable force that outnumbered the Dutch. Because of this a large amount of polemics and flyers were written in English and distributed before the invasion praising William as being the Champion of the Protestant cause bravely opposing the warmongering French king and power hungry Papacy. Even after the country had been subdued these polemics continued to be circulated to pacify the population that deposing a bad Catholic English King in favor a a righteous Protestant Dutch one was the best way forward for the country. William himself completed the ruse by quartering his own personal standards and the Dutch Army's colors with the English flag in the upper right corner.

The reign and Era of William and Mary had began and didn't end until 1694 when Queen Mary died. King William ruled on until his death in 1702. His reign had some particularly interesting consequences for England. Many have attributed Charles II and the “Restoration” with finally bringing Britain into Empire and while that's true in many ways, England was extremely disorganized and fiscally a disaster. Britain suffered economically year after year largely because of out of control and unregulated free capitalist policies. William brought with him fiscal organization and Dutch economists.

Taxation and revenues, the stock market, venture capital, and the insurance industry saw their rise and began thriving under William's administration with smart centralized managed fiscal policy and regulation while still allowing a free market system.

In addition, the subsequent Declaration and Bill of Rights allowed for numerous additional freedoms for the English people and forever abolished the church from dominating their future.

William had achieved what he had set out to and the French were put in check. However with a future where the destinies of Holland and England were closely tied in alliance - and England's prosperity and growth the result – the Dutch Republic's decline was imminent from there after.

William also marked another precedence in that to this day, England's royals (with the exception of Queen Anne) have always been foreigners. In another small propaganda trick, the current house of Windsor is in reality the German House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha from the House of Wettin. The name was changed in WWI by King George V due to anti-German sentiment. But that is another story....

For further reading on this subject I highly recommend "The Glorious Revolution: 1688 - Britain's Fight for Liberty" by Edward Vallance. ISBN 976-1-60598-034-8

It's available at Amazon.com. It's an excellent read and cuts through the Anglo-centric haze of propaganda that has minimized this historic event for 300 years.

I know I have not published in a while because of what I perceive to be a population of mostly “kiddie gamers” at PA! that really don't give a squat about history, but I couldn't let this particular event go by without a narrative and I did it for those few that might appreciate it and are willing to learn new things.

William's Invasion force landing at Torbay:

The Landing at Torbay 1688.jpg

Subsequent Battle of Beachy Head 1690 between the combined Anglo-Dutch fleet and the French:

The Battle of Barfluer 1692 - Backhuysen.jpg

MK

Just for a second there, seeing this title on the News forum made me go "Hey, what did I miss?" :rofl

ohh as conspiracies go I still think the Americans have the top spot with a much more recent event! Where were you two months ago? xD:

ohh as conspiracies go I still think the Americans have the top spot with a much more recent event! Where were you two months ago? xD:
Yeah, I'm very aware and you wouldn't believe how many respected senior scientists there are and folks like me that have not bought into the lie. But what can we do? Also it has nothing to do with pirates or the era we to prefer to escape in. Excuse me while I escape back into the 17th century now.....

I was doing a little more research and found some really interesting additional items about this. A few modern historians are beginning to call the period between 1688 and 1690 The War of English succession recognizing that it was NOT "The Bloodless Revolution" as scores of History text books taught for over two centuries.

Another worthy tidbit is that Louis XIV was livid with his admirals after their great victory at The Battle of Beachy Head in 1690: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beachy_Head_(1690) for not exploiting the victory.

William who had decided to go to Ireland himself to deal with James was now stuck there without a ride home for his Army. If Admiral De Tourville had decided to pursue the English and Dutch they could have cut him off. As it was, the French blockaded the Thames and took control of the English channel - a historical first for them. There was a panic as everyone thought the French were now going to invade. Very insecure times for the English. First the Dutch and now the French in two years time. The French did burn a couple of towns.

After Beachy Head the English were basically forced to rebuild their fleet. The Dutch didn't get it nearly so bad as they had only had one squadron of 22 ships led by Cornelius Evertsen in the Hollandia. That squadron however did most of the fighting against the French that day by themselves and the English admiral was brought up on charges for not doing much more to assist them.

Another one of those great "What IF's" if the French had kept up the pressure and managed to trap William III in Ireland.

In addition I found a couple of really neat paintings in the Greenwich collection I had never seen before. One of Beachy Head and another of William's invasion at Torbay. The Torbay painting is very rare I think and shows the massive scale of the "bloodless" and "peaceful" invasion. The paintings are above in the article. MK

Back