• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Black Pearl, the fastest ship to sail the waters of the Caribbean.

Daragoth

HoO Team Member
Provisional
So I am doing a bit of personal research about the famous (infamous?) ship known as The Black Pearl. Most well known for it's role in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise. Though I bet (at least I hope) most of the people here already know about her and her history from probably watching the movies over and over, just to get a better idea about her.

So here is where my questions reside. What type of ship is she exactly? Does someone have some ship schematics of her? Maybe with all decks included?

From what I can gather; she is a East Indiaman Galleon, though I am not sure if the East Indiaman made special types of Galleons or the the Black Pearl is just a regular Galleon. From what the PotC Wikia is saying, she was a 165 Feet ship.

Second, she had a total of 32 Cannons; though the type and caliber of cannon is never mentioned anywhere from what I can tell. Just...32 Cannons.

And the only actually documented schematic I can find is actually for the second version of her that was planned to be built. That can be seen here.
BlackPearlPlans.jpg

Other then that image...I got nothing for blueprints or any type of schematic.

This all being said, I hope someone can shed some light on this beauty of a ship.

On a side note, listening to the PotC soundtrack as I type this. Belay that Belay that!
XD

Also forgot to mention. Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-board. There is no real "General Discussions" board as far as I could tell. So this is the only play I could really think be a good place to ask about...well a ship.

If someone knows a better place to put this thread, please feel free to move it.

You might want to read this thread on the Black Pearl.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/black-pearl-and-qar-progress.17923/

I doubt if anyone in the HOO forum will discuss this ship as it is in the wrong time period and is a fantasy ship.

I know your post is trying to be helpful, but after looking at mainly the first page. I can see that the thread is mainly about how to use the ship and how to install it into the game. Not so much about the type of ship, the caliber of cannons and other such useful information.
And if you tell me to read the whole thread, then I am really sorry to inform you but I don't have hours upon hours to spend reading 71 pages of text that most likely does not relate to what I am looking for. Thank you for trying to help though.

Anyone know about any of the information I am asking about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I doubt if anyone in the HOO forum will discuss this ship as it is in the wrong time period and is a fantasy ship.
Just to clarify... the only reason we're not including this ship or other PotC film ships in HoO is for copyright reasons.
Mods are a different story though, so maybe one day we could add PotC ships as an optional mod for HoO.

Also, despite the Seven Years' War initial focus for HoO, ships from other eras can still be discussed and produced. ;)

Just to clarify... the only reason we're not including this ship or other PotC film ships in HoO is for copyright reasons.
Mods are a different story though, so maybe one day we could add PotC ships as an optional mod for HoO.

Also, despite the Seven Years' War initial focus for HoO, ships from other eras can still be discussed and produced. ;)

And that, I did not know. That's why my second post was apologizing about possibly putting it in the wrong location. As I did not know where the topic should go.

Some of the question(s) still stand. What was the Cannon type for the Black Pearl? Or were her cannons type just sort of...made up?

@Pieter Boelen,
Thanks for the image, but I am wondering if there is a set of images looking towards her bow, stern and port or starboard side? Mainly I ask so that when I am not making a ship model for the HoO team, I can maybe re-create the Black Pearl for fun.

I forgot to mention, but I did find this schematic. I don't think it's the write ship type (because it has a few too many cannons), but it looks rather close in ship design.

plan02.jpg

@Pieter Boelen,
Thanks for the image, but I am wondering if there is a set of images looking towards her bow, stern and port or starboard side? Mainly I ask so that when I am not making a ship model for the HoO team, I can maybe re-create the Black Pearl for fun.
Not sure. You can have a look at the PotC: New Horizons model of her; that one is pretty good and accurate. :yes

Not sure. You can have a look at the PotC: New Horizons model of her; that one is pretty good and accurate. :yes
That's rather difficult when I don't own the game. Sorry.

Having a straight answer would be nice. I feel like either no one knows and won't tell me they don't know. Or they know and are not interesting in sharing their helpful insight. I really would rather not jump through a series of hoops just to find out no one knows. And on top of that, I already did what research I could do. So I mean, having someone meeting me half way and helping out would be nice.

I doubt any plans of the movie ship as an actual fictional vessel exist. It was built on top of a barge, and as such, only has top sides that look like a proper ship.

Anything you find will probably be fan-made, and probably not a proper set of draughts. All guesswork.

I would suggest modeling the closest real-world counterpart you can find, since there are more than a few sets of real draughts out there that you can use to build something similar.

:facepalm That link is in the first page of the thread I linked to in post #3 of this very thread. You could have found it yourself.

It seams that the Black Pearl was a mid 1630 vessel with a bow of an 18th century ship.

It could have been a third-rate ship of the line, like the Leopard 1635. Which was armed with 36 guns, various calibres. 95ft keel length.

I haven't found any plan yet.

Or more likely, it could have been the Merchant Royal/Royal Merchant, launched in 1627. It was armed with 32 bronze cannons, the clibre isn't mentioned. It measured 157ft, about 2 m shorter than the Pearl.

I haven't found any plan yet.

According to wikipedia the Black Pearl had 32x 12pdr cannons but I didn't find out if they were bronze or iron.

Edit:
Abit OT but PotC related:
The Flying Dutchman seems to be a pretty exact replica of the Vasa. It has only some additional balconys on the stern, the rest is exactly the same, only a bit overgrown and rotten, like it has been a few years on the ocean floor before coming back to surface.

Last edited:
Back