• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The adventures of the Interceptor

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
After you steal the Interceptor, you're supposed to proceed directly to Isla de Muerte to conclude the film-based part of the storyline. You're not supposed to use her to rush around the Caribbean doing sidequests. To discourage that, any time you go to Jamaica, the Dauntless attacks you.

If you're in the Interceptor and the Dauntless attacks you, you're supposed to run away. You're not supposed to attack. If you get too close to Dauntless, it boards you, and with about 1000 crew compared to about 40 on Interceptor, the boarding action is, of course, a slaughter.
But you've forgotten one important fact - I'm Captain Jack Sparrow. :sparrow

I'm wearing gold armour and so are all my officers, including Mr. Gibbs. The boarding crew, when they can be bothered to show up bearing in mind the crew disparity, are all wearing battle armour. We all have decent swords. The crew of Dauntless know what they're facing and are already at Low morale even before I give them a salvo of grapeshot. And so the action is indeed a slaughter, and we're the ones doing the slaughtering. The problem is that Dauntless doesn't surrender (it's probably programmed not to), and the few surviving crew plus the entire crew of Interceptor aren't enough to even swap to Dauntless, let alone take it as a prize. And so, after looting as much as possible...
interceptor_vs_dauntless.jpg
Incidentally, I was not immortal during the boarding. A couple of decks could be added to the times they almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow.

So Dauntless never bothered me again when I went to Port Royale on sidequest business, though Norrington did resurrect himself so that the subsequent scenes involving him at Isla de Muerte and Port Royal went ahead as normal.

More evidence that the storyline expects you to complete the main story before doing any sidequests can be found in a couple of dialogs, particularly those for the "Sao Feng's Bodyguards" quest. Padre Domingues gives you a letter for Father Bernard and is then kidnapped. You deliver the letter and when you leave the church, Mr. Mercer arrests you, commenting that you've given the Wicked Wench a new paint job, making me wonder how he can see the ship because the last I saw of her was Barbossa sailing away from Isla de Muerte. Later, Jaoquin de Masse offers to take command of either the Crimson Blood or the Pearl, in which case good luck getting the Pearl. I've altered both dialogs. If you don't have the Black Pearl then Mr. Mercer just accuses you of flying false colours and then goes straight onto saying he'll fetch Cutler Beckett. And Jaoquin de Masse's dialog now uses a preprocessed placeholder to give whatever ship you're using at the time.

Ah yes, Jaoquin de Masse. After completing the quest, Jack goes to Port Royale dock, then swears at de Masse, who apparently is stealing the Crimson Blood. Jack must have very good eyesight if he can see the Crimson Blood from there because she's currently berthed in Tortuga. I hadn't anticipated de Masse being sneaky but, with that quest finished, I was planning on finally going to Isla de Muerte, and wasn't sure what would happen to any companion ships you may have when you switch to being Barbossa to attack the Interceptor, so I left the Crimson Blood behind - indeed, still under Jaoquin de Masse's command. When I returned to Tortuga she was still there.

You just cannot resist pushing the boundaries, can you!?!
I still remember you taking care of Davy Jones. :shock

More evidence that the storyline expects you to complete the main story before doing any sidequests can be found in a couple of dialogs, particularly those for the "Sao Feng's Bodyguards" quest. Padre Domingues gives you a letter for Father Bernard and is then kidnapped. You deliver the letter and when you leave the church, Mr. Mercer arrests you, commenting that you've given the Wicked Wench a new paint job, making me wonder how he can see the ship because the last I saw of her was Barbossa sailing away from Isla de Muerte. Later, Jaoquin de Masse offers to take command of either the Crimson Blood or the Pearl, in which case good luck getting the Pearl. I've altered both dialogs. If you don't have the Black Pearl then Mr. Mercer just accuses you of flying false colours and then goes straight onto saying he'll fetch Cutler Beckett. And Jaoquin de Masse's dialog now uses a preprocessed placeholder to give whatever ship you're using at the time.
Indeed all the potential routes you can take must make it virtually impossible to have the story always make sense.
So thanks for improving on that! :onya

Ah yes, Jaoquin de Masse. After completing the quest, Jack goes to Port Royale dock, then swears at de Masse, who apparently is stealing the Crimson Blood. Jack must have very good eyesight if he can see the Crimson Blood from there because she's currently berthed in Tortuga. I hadn't anticipated de Masse being sneaky but, with that quest finished, I was planning on finally going to Isla de Muerte, and wasn't sure what would happen to any companion ships you may have when you switch to being Barbossa to attack the Interceptor, so I left the Crimson Blood behind - indeed, still under Jaoquin de Masse's command. When I returned to Tortuga she was still there.
The idea there was that De Masse should either get the Pearl or the Blood.
If you keep the Blood, then you'll play "The Curse of the Crimson Blood" instead.
Sounds like you managed to break the intention again. :rofl

Another trick I may try some time is to abuse the berthing system and see how many Wenches and Pearls I can collect. I reckon it ought to be possible to end up with a complete fleet of them...

Another trick I may try some time is to abuse the berthing system and see how many Wenches and Pearls I can collect. I reckon it ought to be possible to end up with a complete fleet of them...
Since the storyline uses my old GiveShip2Character function often enough, I could indeed see that happening! :rofl

Back