• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Tavern keeper can't be interacted with / dead albatross

Sinbad the Sailor

Sailor Apprentice
Found the dead albatross in a ship, and I can't get rid of it. I tried talking to the apothecary in Bridgetown and had no option to toss the albatross.
Also, the tavernkeeper from bridgetown can't be interacted with. I think there is something to do with the fort quest involving Danielle in the Sea Hawk storyline.
There goes the savefile, if needed.

Attachments

• -=Lucas=- QuickSave.rar
    970.9 KB · Views: 73
I'll have a look at the savegame when I get a chance. The "Tales of a Sea Hawk" story shouldn't make the tavernkeeper unresponsive - I've been playing that storyline again myself and was able to complete it, including the parts where I capture the fort and then defend it against Silehard's counterattack.

As for the apothecary, the line you want is "I'd like to buy some bottles of physic to take with me, if you please." If you're carrying an albatross, he then offers to exchange it for a bottle of leeches. This is a cure for poison but drops your health, so don't use it unless you're out of antidote potions when you're poisoned.

I'll have a look at the savegame when I get a chance. The "Tales of a Sea Hawk" story shouldn't make the tavernkeeper unresponsive - I've been playing that storyline again myself and was able to complete it, including the parts where I capture the fort and then defend it against Silehard's counterattack.

As for the apothecary, the line you want is "I'd like to buy some bottles of physic to take with me, if you please." If you're carrying an albatross, he then offers to exchange it for a bottle of leeches. This is a cure for poison but drops your health, so don't use it unless you're out of antidote potions when you're poisoned.
Ok, thank you very much!
I don't know, I finished the storyline and I see no other reason for the tavern keeper to be uninteractable.

You've seen this before. Remember how you captured Port Royale for yourself, then your own soldiers wanted to arrest you because you had a pirate flag? Perhaps something similar has happened. The story requires you to capture Bridgetown for yourself - which flag were you using at the time, and did anyone in the tavern object?

You've seen this before. Remember how you captured Port Royale for yourself, then your own soldiers wanted to arrest you because you had a pirate flag? Perhaps something similar has happened. The story requires you to capture Bridgetown for yourself - which flag were you using at the time, and did anyone in the tavern object?
Insanity is doing the exact... same ******** thing... over and over again expecting... **** to change...
sorry I got carried away, dont know why but that made me remember about Vaas from Far Cry 3.
anyhow, no one in the tavern objected! I think I was using the british flag. Or maybe the pirate one? Can't be sure.
Oh and I captured Cartagena - big regret. I think the colony system is already very buggy for itself, in Cartagena even more so. But I saw a lot about Bartolomeu's questline, it seems interesting! After I'm done with Ardent I'll try Bartolomeu O Portugues one

Flying a British flag at the time when you capture Bridgetown for yourself could cause trouble. Britain is hostile to you at this time, thanks to Silehard. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I did that myself once, and didn't have any trouble with the tavern. But when I then set sail to take on Silehard's counter-attack fleet, Danielle in the fort started firing at me. Probably because Personal is hostile to Britain, Danielle in the fort is Personal, and I was under a British flag. (Or possibly because she heard what I'd been doing with the daughter of the governor of Charlestown. :wp)

In any case, the problem with the tavern keeper is the same as the one in Port Royale. He's in "warrior" mode. Here's a console file which should put him back to normal. You know the drill - put it in "PROGRAM", run the game, press F12, then go and see the tavern keeper.

Attachments

• console.c
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
Flying a British flag at the time when you capture Bridgetown for yourself could cause trouble. Britain is hostile to you at this time, thanks to Silehard. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I did that myself once, and didn't have any trouble with the tavern. But when I then set sail to take on Silehard's counter-attack fleet, Danielle in the fort started firing at me. Probably because Personal is hostile to Britain, Danielle in the fort is Personal, and I was under a British flag. (Or possibly because she heard what I'd been doing with the daughter of the governor of Charlestown. :wp)

In any case, the problem with the tavern keeper is the same as the one in Port Royale. He's in "warrior" mode. Here's a console file which should put him back to normal. You know the drill - put it in "PROGRAM", run the game, press F12, then go and see the tavern keeper.
worked out pretty well, but I can't interact with Nadine Jansen (the waitress at the tavern) and I can't complete the church quest.
about Silehard, I had the same thing happen to me. maybe Danielle is just jealous?

Possibly Nadine Jensen also went into an odd mode when Simon Hanpool went into "warrior" mode. If so, this console should put her back to normal.

Attachments

• console.c
    35.3 KB · Views: 75
Ralph is presumably Ralph Damerell. Who is Constantine?

Time for you to learn some basic modding. You can edit "console.c" with your choice of text editor - I use Notepad for no reason other than it's already built into Windows and very easy to use. The important lines in that one for Nadine Jensen are:
Code:
    ch = CharacterFromID("Greenford_officiant");
    LAi_SetWaitressType(ch);
Tavern characters are almost all defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Taverns.c", also a plain text file which you can easily edit or just examine with your text editor. Search for the character of your choice, e.g. "Nadine":
Code:
    ch.old.name = "Nadine";
    ch.old.lastname = "Jansen";
    ch.name     = TranslateString("","Nadine");
    ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Jansen");
    ch.id        = "Greenford_officiant";
Most characters' ID's are the same as their names but Nadine's isn't. That "ch.id" line is important because that's what you'll need to put into the 'ch = CharacterFromID("insert_ID_here");' line. Near the end of Nadine's definition is this:
Code:
    LAi_SetWaitressType(ch);
I simply copied that line into "console.c".

Now, you want to fix Ralph Damerell. He's in the same file:
Code:
    ch.old.name = "Ralph";
    ch.old.lastname = "Damerell";
    ch.name     = TranslateString("","Ralph");
    ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Damerell");
    ch.id        = "Ralph Damerell";
And near the end of his definition is:
Code:
    LAi_SetSitType(ch);
So all you need to do is edit "console.c", change 'CharacterFromID("Greenford_officiant")' to 'CharacterFromID("Ralph Damerell")', change 'LAi_SetWaitressType' to 'LAi_SetSitType', and your "console.c" should now fix Ralph. And if you can find out the file where Constantine is defined, you can make the necessary changes again.

Ralph is presumably Ralph Damerell. Who is Constantine?

Time for you to learn some basic modding. You can edit "console.c" with your choice of text editor - I use Notepad for no reason other than it's already built into Windows and very easy to use. The important lines in that one for Nadine Jensen are:
Code:
    ch = CharacterFromID("Greenford_officiant");
    LAi_SetWaitressType(ch);
Tavern characters are almost all defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\Taverns.c", also a plain text file which you can easily edit or just examine with your text editor. Search for the character of your choice, e.g. "Nadine":
Code:
    ch.old.name = "Nadine";
    ch.old.lastname = "Jansen";
    ch.name     = TranslateString("","Nadine");
    ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Jansen");
    ch.id        = "Greenford_officiant";
Most characters' ID's are the same as their names but Nadine's isn't. That "ch.id" line is important because that's what you'll need to put into the 'ch = CharacterFromID("insert_ID_here");' line. Near the end of Nadine's definition is this:
Code:
    LAi_SetWaitressType(ch);
I simply copied that line into "console.c".

Now, you want to fix Ralph Damerell. He's in the same file:
Code:
    ch.old.name = "Ralph";
    ch.old.lastname = "Damerell";
    ch.name     = TranslateString("","Ralph");
    ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Damerell");
    ch.id        = "Ralph Damerell";
And near the end of his definition is:
Code:
    LAi_SetSitType(ch);
So all you need to do is edit "console.c", change 'CharacterFromID("Greenford_officiant")' to 'CharacterFromID("Ralph Damerell")', change 'LAi_SetWaitressType' to 'LAi_SetSitType', and your "console.c" should now fix Ralph. And if you can find out the file where Constantine is defined, you can make the necessary changes again.
oof, that was quite a class. I managed to do it! thanks!
I have one more question tho: I was doing the Strange things going on the caribbean sidequest and since the prison warden was dead already (after tales of sea hawk) I think I'm getting a negative reputation with britain because of that, even though he died in the main storyline. Is there something I can do?

Yes, the quest checks if the warden is dead when you bring the Teacher to Puerto Rico, and if so, you lose your Letter of Marque. However, as far as I can tell from the code, unless your reputation is "Neutral", "Rascal" or worse, you should be alright if you go to a British governor and buy a new Letter of Marque as your previous rank should be restored.

Did Britain become hostile or just turn "Wary"?

Yes, the quest checks if the warden is dead when you bring the Teacher to Puerto Rico, and if so, you lose your Letter of Marque. However, as far as I can tell from the code, unless your reputation is "Neutral", "Rascal" or worse, you should be alright if you go to a British governor and buy a new Letter of Marque as your previous rank should be restored.

Did Britain become hostile or just turn "Wary"?
It worked!
Britain just turned "Wary".
So does that mean if I start working for the spanish and attack britain, if I pay for forgiveness will I be able to achieve my earlier rank?

If you sign up with Spain, you could indeed pay for forgiveness from Britain, buy a new British LoM, and regain your previous rank. And then you'll lose that rank again, probably permanently, if you then attack a British ship on behalf of Spain; or you'll lose your Spanish LoM and any ranks you gained with Spain if you attack a Spanish ship on behalf of Britain. Neither side likes traitors, so pick one side and stick with it!

Or you could turn professional pirate hunter. I did that once - bought LoM's from everyone, then only attacked pirates. The more LoM's you have, the slower you rise through the ranks of each nation, though you'll be gaining promotions and benefits from several nations at once. But pirate ships are small and not worth much, so a professional pirate hunter needs a lot of patience!

Meanwhile, put this into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS". Tavern guards will then be unable to arrest you if they're in a colony owned by you - you're the boss, you can fly whatever flag you want and they won't care any more. It won't fix any tavern folks who have already stopped talking due to previous guards but it should prevent any more such problems.

Attachments

• random_guards_group_dialog.c
    19.1 KB · Views: 59
If you sign up with Spain, you could indeed pay for forgiveness from Britain, buy a new British LoM, and regain your previous rank. And then you'll lose that rank again, probably permanently, if you then attack a British ship on behalf of Spain; or you'll lose your Spanish LoM and any ranks you gained with Spain if you attack a Spanish ship on behalf of Britain. Neither side likes traitors, so pick one side and stick with it!

Or you could turn professional pirate hunter. I did that once - bought LoM's from everyone, then only attacked pirates. The more LoM's you have, the slower you rise through the ranks of each nation, though you'll be gaining promotions and benefits from several nations at once. But pirate ships are small and not worth much, so a professional pirate hunter needs a lot of patience!

Meanwhile, put this into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS". Tavern guards will then be unable to arrest you if they're in a colony owned by you - you're the boss, you can fly whatever flag you want and they won't care any more. It won't fix any tavern folks who have already stopped talking due to previous guards but it should prevent any more such problems.
Pirate hunting seems fun! I actually bought three LoM's, one from Britain, another one from Holland and the last one from Portugal. They have the same enemies so it has been working out pretty well so far. Capturing forts seem like the best option for rising through ranks, gives you a load of points!

Buying LoM's from several nations who are on the same side is certainly a good move and when playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I do the same as you - get a free LoM from Silehard at the beginning, then buy LoM's from Holland and Portugal, partly for extra promotions and partly as backup for when Silehard turns nasty. Don't attack anything British except when required by the story - other nations are watching, they know Silehard is dodgy, so they'll not be concerned if you do what it takes to defeat him. But if you go round attacking other British ships or colonies, they'll take notice and you'll lose their LoM's. (Alternatively, you could switch sides, buy LoM's from France and Spain, then do whatever you like to British ships, as well as Dutch and Portuguese.)

Capturing colonies does indeed give loads of points. When you or your master at arms reach level 20 and have 4 spare ability points, be sure to get "Landing Party". That means you can attack colonies without forts, almost all of which are pirate.

Back