• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Taking the idol from the english frigate on bridgetown

I finally got to this part of the main quest, boarded and captured the frigate, then immediately went to the storm video. After doing the whole bit about killing the pirate, taking his ship and making my way to San Juan, I was reunited with my own ship and crew. The frigate was not among my ships but the pinnace I got at Bonaire was. Contrast that with earlier versions, where the frigate is among my ships and the pinnace has been abandoned to go its own way. (I don't know how the game decided which of my officers was in command of the pinnace. It may have been the same one that I put in charge of the frigate.)

Going straight to the storm video rather than sailing round to the lighthouse to meet Clement may have had an amusing side effect. Next time I went to the lighthouse was after the reunion at San Juan. There on the beach was Clement, who ran up to me and said something about being distracted by a new invention so he couldn't talk. What I'd have liked to say was "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in prison!" Inside the lighthouse were the expected soldiers whose commander claimed Clement had been arrested. Outside the lighthouse again, Danielle proposed the scheme to storm the fort and free Clement. Still on the beach was Clement, now genuinely distracted because he wouldn't talk any more. (Apparently he was also in prison because the fort capture and release went as intended. So this bug did not foul up the storyline.)

Also i have found that when you are going to defend Bridgetown from the english fleet, you can't board the last ship that remains, because it get's crashed the game. :facepalm
Yes, I found that too. Fortunately I had a saved game from shortly before I went into the tavern, so I tried again.

It seems that the problem is with any quest-related ship whose boarding or destruction triggers a video or cut scene:

Oiseau (ammo ship): when you capture it, you continue on your way. No problem.
Sirena (ship with Silehard's collection): capturing or destroying it should trigger the cut scene with your crewman reporting salvaging the treasure. Hangs if I board the ship.
HMS Athena (ship carrying idol): capturing this ship triggers the storm video. I got away with it but apparently someone else didn't, hence this thread.
Ships attacking Bridgetown: destroying the last one triggers the cut scene with Danielle in the port. Capturing it hangs the game.
666 and Hundred Devils (Animists' ships attacking Montanez in "Strange Happenings" quest: can't be boarded. Destroying them triggers the cut scene with the Montanez captain in Bridgetown tavern. From the thread about those ships it seems they used to cause a problem if you boarded them, which was "fixed" by making them unboardable.
Mefisto: when you capture it, you continue on your way. No problem.

Would it be possible, then, to modify the main quest and "Strange Happenings" quests so that when you board these ships you continue on your way and something else triggers the videos or cut scenes? In particular, could the main quest be put back the way it was so that having captured the ship with the idol, you have to sail round to the lighthouse and talk to Clement before the storm video triggers? For the Sirena, could it be changed so that you have to land on shore to trigger the cut scene about the salvage? Ditto with the Bridgetown fleet - could it be changed so that the cut scene does not activate until you manually dock in Bridgetown port? I know someone has been changing the way things trigger because originally in Bridgetown you'd talk with Danielle in the tavern, the crewmember would report the fleet, then you would have to go to the port and put to sea to trigger the battle. Now you have to stay a night in the tavern, then you talk to Danielle, the crewmember reports the fleet, and you're teleported straight onto your ship without going near the port.

(I don't know how the game decided which of my officers was in command of the pinnace. It may have been the same one that I put in charge of the frigate.)

The last officer in your passengerlist is automatic the captain of the Pinnace/Brig you get in the Pirate Fort. I always get the Brig because I wanted Gervasio Serrao as my officer :p

Greetz,

VanessaHudgensFan

Would anyone be able to compile a short list of those specific quest problems that are being found recently?
I'm already getting confused again. :facepalm

Sirena (ship with Silehard's treasure): if you board it, the game hangs.
HMS Athena (ship in Bridgetown with idol): if you board it, you go straight to the storm video. (Someone else reported that when they boarded the ship the game hung.) When you get to San Juan the frigate is not among your ships.
Ships attacking Bridgetown: if you board all three, the game hangs.
Ships attacking Montanez in the "Strange Happenings" quest: can't be boarded. Originally if you boarded them, the game hung, so making them unboardable "fixed" the problem.

Additionally, when I went back to the lighthouse later in the quest, Clement Aurentius was on the beach when he should have been in prison. This may be because he never got to talk to me after I captured the idol.

I don't know what happens if you sink the frigate with the idol because I've only played that part of the quest once, I boarded the ship and got away with it, so I continued on with the quest. As for the frigate not being in your list, my guess is that it was overwritten by the pinnace (which did not go into your ship list in earlier games). I do remember in Build 13 either here or in the earlier mission involving Rabel Yverneau's corvette that I had something else in my ship list before the mission (possibly Mefisto, in which case it must have been after I'd taken the frigate with the idol). I'd also picked up a new officer and on my way to the destination, captured another ship. When I got to where I was going and was reunited with my own ship, my original second ship was lost along with its officer, as the newly captured ship replaced it in the ship list.

I don't had any problems with the Athena so far as I remember but I'll get it in my last shot so the pinnace/brig can't overwrite it, or you just bearth the ship before leaving the island, works too :p

I loose no ship but I LOOSE one of my officers when I was reunited with my crew at San Juan, the passengers who were walking with me at Bridgetown apprear on the San Juan jetty and talks to me. After talking to them on jetty, tavern and talk with Danielle I checked my passengers and one of them was gone without reason. It wasn't one of the officers on the jetty/tavern, the most time it was Mr.Gibbs who leaves me and disappears. I fix this myself to make sure he is one of the officers talking to me on the San Juan jetty/tavern and it does work for him but it will not fix the problem because when I look at my passenger again another one has been disappeared.

Or is this because I hired to many officers or something? In the Pirate Fort I always hire Gervasio Serrao for my crew and 2-3 more so I'm not alone in the jungle and on sea.

Greetz,

VHF

The first post of this thread mentions the game crashing. I didn't shoot at HMS Athena, I boarded it, then the game went straight to the video but did not crash. I can't berth HMS Athena because the moment I capture it, I get the video and end up on Bonaire. If the game worked the same way as earlier versions, so you continue sailing after capturing the ship and make your own way round to the lighthouse, I suspect quite a few problems would not happen. :) Those quest-related ships whose capture or destruction does not trigger a video or cut-scene dialogue, e.g. Oiseau and Mefisto, can be boarded without any trouble.

How many officers do you have? Danielle forces her way into the first of your four active slots, displacing whichever officer you had there, but that officer should still be in your passenger list. Perhaps the fact that you hired more officers on Bonaire messed up the passenger list the way capturing a ship can mess up your fleet.

Take a look at it yourself, ;), I have attached my saves, look at my officers in the first save and in the second one after Danielle talks to me, officer Tia Midro is gone for some reason and I don't know why, maybe it is what you said and I have to many officers. :yes

In the first save you'll also see that I have boared the Athena without any problems. I still can moor on the island to berth the ship. The storm scene only apprears when I'm going to the World Map again. Quite strange that this will work for me and not for other people.... :confused:

Greetz,

VanessaHudgensFan

Attachments

• San Juan.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
I'm still using Beta 3 because Beta 3.1 won't recognise its saved games, and I'm rather too far into "Tales of a Sea Hawk" to want to restart just now! This means that unless you're also using Beta 3, I won't be able to read your saved games. So, how many officers do you have? ;)

I have 33! That includes Danielle and Clement. If I try to recruit a new officer, a previous one disappears, so I appear to have hit a limit. But I didn't lose anyone when Danielle joined me at San Juan, nor when Clement joined me at Barbados. And if an enemy captain surrenders and I take him prisoner I don't lose an officer. But when I have 3 prisoners, thus a total of 36 passengers, the next captain who surrenders won't give me the option to take him prisoner. I remember 36 being the upper limit in Build 13 as well. All of which means unless you've gone berserk with recruiting the way I have and have more than 30 officers, then your total number of passengers probably isn't the problem. :)

I used beta 3.1 hehehe. I know what you mean with the save game problem. This is also happening in my case sometimes but sometimes it will work and so far as I remember is the Standard storyline the only storyline where this happens sometimes. I've never have this with other storylines so far.

You have 33 officers? I have only 11 before the storm scene + one as captain of the Athena. On Bonaire after the storm scene I've hired Gervasio Serrao and three more so that makes 15 + Danielle is 16 and I still can hire new ones after Danielle joines me but there always are disappeared one or two after that. I really have no idea why this is happening by me

Greetz,

VanessaHudgensFan

That rules out the number of passengers as the source of your problem, then! I did not hire Gervasio Serrao, partly because I had plenty of officers anyway and partly because of the problem of hiring one and losing one. But if he's hired while your regular officers are off the list, perhaps he replaces one the same way the pinnace replaces the frigate for me. If you have a saved game from before hiring the new officers on Bonaire, try loading it and see what happens if you do not hire anybody before you are reunited with your regular officers at San Juan.

Or maybe the bug where hiring one officer causes another to disappear is triggered by something else and I was just lucky that it only bit me when I was close to the maximum limit anyway...

One of my officers is a pirate captain who surrendered and accepted my offer of a job. The problem of disappearing officers started round about the time I hired a second reformed pirate, though I can't say for certain that it was exactly after that. At that point I had 32 officers not including Danielle or Clement, who had not joined at that time. As an experiment I fired someone, leaving me with 31; then hired a replacement number 32, someone disappeared, so I still had 31; and I haven't hired or fired anybody else since. Danielle and Clement make 33 with no further disappearances.

That's a lot of officers! What is your payroll like? :checklist

I play that part differently. I do not hire anyone and only borrow a ship and have no problems like you two do. :shrug So this never came up before.

Back