• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Suggestion and thanks

Black Dog

Landlubber
First of all I'd like to say that I bought POTC when it came out last year, played it once or twice, decided it was terrible (pined over the long lost days of Pirates! Gold on my Amega!) and thew it in the drawer.

I discovered this site yesterday and the mods have given the game a whole new lease of life, so I just wanted to grant you all my deepest gratitudes for doing this. I cant belive that some of you guys have created a better game than the one I payed £30 for!

Below are a few of my suggestions, not complaints! If you're not interested then fair enough but I thought this might help in improving the game. I'm sure you'll probably tell me that this has all been said before and that i should shut up, but I thought I'd get my two gold coins worth while I'm here!

There is something REALLY TINY that is irritating the hell out of me, in the next build is it possibe to change the English flag to the original St. Georges Cross, or, better still, change the nation's name to Britain but keep the flag as the Union Jack. I know it's silly, but there's a hell of a difference.

With the new builds the "hired officer" character has become very important, not to mention useful. However all the towns have become alot more violent too, which is OK by me, but my officers keep getting mullered (vigorously killed). Is there any way of either beefing them up or getting them to stay on the boat/in the port? (I've tried telling them to stay still in the port but they `re-appear` whenever i walk through a doorway). Also, while the towns are more interesting now, it's nearly impossible to get someone to tell you where the shipyard/tavern/shop is.

This is probably not possible, but i think it would be rather good if you could change flags and "sneak up" on a ship of the same flag, then change it to the Jolly Roger or something! I tried this a few times, but then i `re-read` the readme for the build and discovered it doesnt work.

I thank you.

Welcome to PA Black Dog,yew can remove officers using the passenger interface to remove officers so dey will stay aborad ship,or yew can use dialog tew tell em to stay behind next time yer boarding.
yew can always warp tew shipyards/store tec
beefing up officers takes time, use yer abilities interface an click on shared experience an equip them wit better weapons,yew can buy better weapons from Gregor Salmsa in Oxbay port,de guy eit de grey coat and hat,kep talkin to em and his weapon inventory will open up. :(

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. I did try telling the officers to stay still and warped to the store etc. but the magicaly appeared with me. Yeah I guess you're right, I'll just have to beef them up the old fashioned way, but it's particularly annoying in the pirate settlement, four of my officers got killed in one visit!

Thanks for the warm welcome

Aye if ye be talkin about de vise city mod[thugs an Bandits leave yer officer4s behind when yer going tew town,if ye dew get n a scrap,use stair cases and narrow places so dey can only come at yew one at a time :(

Ahoy, Black Dog, welcome aboard! Pull up a keg and have a seat, have a couple on us! :cheers

We welcome any suggestions or comments that will help improve the game - it's pretty much an open community here, so speak your mind and don't bother if someone disagrees - don't worry either, if it gets into a serious `flame-fest` the moderators or tavernkeepers will take care of the situation. We're all friends here, and we're glad you've joined us! :cheeky

Regarding the Union Jack/St. George Cross - I know what you mean, I though that too, until I did some small amount of research - I THINK the flag is correct for the time period as that would be considered the English naval jack. Correctly calling the colony "British" is a good suggestion, tho. Making a change would be difficult because it's not only the text that has to change, but there are soundbytes that say "England"... Yes, I agree, there IS a BIG difference! :cheeky

The dialogs are more varied, yes, but you STILL should be able to talk to just about any townsperson and get them to tell you where everything is. You just have to be more persistent - if you don't get the info from one (if they warn you about monkeys or thieves), go to another.

You think the game is better now, wait - there's a new build coming soon, and an expansion pack that will have MANY new islands - including one for PiratesAhoy! :yes :(

He's probably really really really really REALLY busy!!! I am rapidly learning that there is an incredible amount of work to do when putting an island together. :( :cheeky

Again thanks for the warm welcome guys, i hate coming to a new forum as i don't like to bring up old subjects, but it's not always humanly possible to read the entire forum before posting!

I don't mean to sound picky about the flags, it's just that alot of modding work seems to have gone into historical accuracy so i thought i'd mention it. That's a good point about the sound though. I don't know if another flag may be more suitable; there is one which is basicaly a St. Georges Cross with a Union Jack in the top left hand corner, although i'm not sure if it fits the period.

New Islands sound great! I was going to ask if it was possible to change/add to the world map. Now my knowledge of the Caribbean is not great, but I'm assuming the `in-game` map is fictitious although I may be wrong, and it seems to be alot more fun going to real historical places in other pirate games like Tortuga (Pirate Hunter) and Pirates! Gold. (although I do realise that the Caribbean is a big place, I'm not expecting the entire map!). But hey, any knew Islands would be cool.

By the way I'd love to help if I can, I used to do a bit of VB and a TINY amount of C++ programming if thats any good(although I'm very rusty), I think i'll try with some of the simpler tutorials on this forum and see how i get on. Cherrs mates.

The expansion package which will come out after the build (not sure when) incorporates not only the regular islands of POTC (which yes, as you surmise, are fictitious), but I think 30 new islands.

Don't ask me how they're accomplishing this, it must be a HUGE task - but it's an ongoing project that sounds fairly close to completion. It will be a modder's dream, - what with all the new islands open there can be new quests written &tc. This is going to be GREAT!!!

Yes, take a look at the tutorials and at the code of the game - if anything, you might be able to create some new quests... When the new build is released, you will also see many more opportunities for new ideas!

I've only just started learning this stuff, and it sure is fun. xD:

Back