• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Stuck: Find the traitor named Raoul Rheims

DNick

Landlubber
Hi Forum,

First of all thanks for the great mod. I really enjoy playing it. Since I played the original game back in 2004 I started New Horizons with the Nathanial Hawk story line.

I am supposed to talk to Desmond Ray Beltrop on Grenade but I don't have any dialog option regarding this quest. (See attached pictures)
Rheims House is locked (also the side entry). Killing the guards does not help me.

I hope someone can tell me what to do.

I am playing build 14 (1. Jan 2022).
- added the "U_BI_bypassFDC0" as mentioned here: Solved - Heap Corruption, Random Crashes
(Still experience the problem after ~30 Minutes of playing)
- replaced "console.c" due to this problem: Fixed - Marie Celeste

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
I am supposed to talk to Desmond Ray Beltrop on Grenade but I don't have any dialog option regarding this quest. (See attached pictures)
Rheims House is locked (also the side entry). Killing the guards does not help me.
Strange... Do you do this at night?
This is a very old version, you probably downloaded it on moddb. You can download the newer version when you complete the story, because saves do not work on the new version. Or wait a few days, a patch will be released soon and the link will change.
Post 1st January Update (Updated 10th October 2023): https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_101023.zip

Did you go to Beltrop's house by yourself or did someone take you there? Did you check in the tavern in Sao Jorge first, or did you go straight to the Smugglers Lair?

- added the "U_BI_bypassFDC0" as mentioned here: Solved - Heap Corruption, Random Crashes
(Still experience the problem after ~30 Minutes of playing)
- replaced "console.c" due to this problem: Fixed - Marie Celeste
You have not installed the update:
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 10th October 2023]
So your installation is almost two years out of date. However, don't install the update now otherwise none of your saved games will work.

On the other hand, installing that "U_BI_bypassFDC0" from 2012 may have harmed your installation anyway. If you start seeing odd behaviour, you'll need to re-install and start the whole story again, in which case do install the update as well.

Thanks for the fast replies

Strange... Do you do this at night?

I tried at different times during the day.

Did you go to Beltrop's house by yourself or did someone take you there? Did you check in the tavern in Sao Jorge first, or did you go straight to the Smugglers Lair?

Yes, I went there myself. If I remember correctly I talked to the tavern owner before and then went to Beltropy house.

For now, I created a backup of my installation and save games and re-installed the game with the latest patch.
I will start a new game. I wasn't very far in the storyline anyways.

Thanks for you help

Yes, I went there myself. If I remember correctly I talked to the tavern owner before and then went to Beltropy house.
After you talked to the Sao Jorge tavern owner (the tavern in town, not the tavern in Smugglers Lair), when you leave the tavern a smuggler should come to you and talk about taking you to Beltrop's house. You should then teleport straight to the house, you should not need to walk there yourself.

Even that won't work until you've talked to Desmond Ray Beltrop (or Camilo Machado in the stock game). First he has to tell you that you're not allowed in the house. Then you can sneak in through the side entrance at night. If Beltrop/Machado isn't saying anything about that, then either you haven't done something before going to see him, or the quest is broken some other way.

Thanks for your help.

I've already re-installed everything with the latest patches. I still have the "DX8RENDER.dll" crashes every 1-2 hours.

But yesterday the game crashed every 10-15 minutes. Windows log point to the "shipflag4.dll". The problem wasn't there from beginning but appeared suddenly after ~10h of play time. So far it only happened during sea battles.

Error logging is enabled but no error.log is generated.
I see that the "shipflag4.dll" is not from the original POTC game.
Do we have the source code of this one?
My current ship is a Tier 2 "Fleuron class 3rd Rate", in case it might be related to this one.

Maybe I should start a new thread.

Kind regards

DNick

error_copy.png

Now I additionally get this error every 5-10 Minutes. Something is horribly wrong.
I don't use Intel on board graphics. I also haven't installed the game in \program files\ or any other directory with blanks or special characters in it.

Seems like those problems were stuck to a savegame. I tried a different one and the problems did not appear again for 2 hours.

Seems like those problems were stuck to a savegame. I tried a different one and the problems did not appear again for 2 hours.
In an old engine, the options file can sometimes become corrupted and crashes occur because of this. I usually delete this code that fits into the file and everything works fine. I had this happen after completing the Church Protection quest.

Attachments

• 1705182834990.png
    1705182834990.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1705182872403.png
    1705182872403.png
    42 KB · Views: 25
Just delete the options file entirely. When you next start the game, if you had made any changes in the "Options" menu, you'll need to do it again. Then quit at once and make a copy of "options". You now have a safe copy of a clean version with everything set the way you like it.

Next time there is weirdness - or just routinely as a precaution - delete "options", make a copy of your clean copy, and rename that back to "options".

Back