• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

strange things.

I have some asks about strange things that maybe will be problems.

First of all, I will tell you that I follow the Free storyline, depicting my character as I want.

Now the asks:

1- In the sea battles I can't reach to fire guns in 3rd person, only in 1st person with the yellow circle. Maybe I have did something wrong? In the old Sea Dogs I was able to shoot guns also in 3rd person, moving the ship accordingly then shooting my volleys.

2- When the storm come, I see writes showing my angle in degrees (green and red) and seem I must do all my best to have the ship in a good angle, otherwise the ship is lost. May I do something for avoiding this, or is everytime in this way?

3- Where I must put the fixes (Post Aug 31 fixes pack)? into the game, or somewhere else?

3- I don't know if there's another mean to start, except be throwed into a beach then come back in the ship. There's any other way to start?

Hope my asks will have some reply,, and thank you for the great game.

1: Yes, pressing the spacebar will automatically aim and fire the guns in both 1st and 3rd person. You can see the firing arcs on the "radar" if you have a decent compass. But the firing arcs are relatively narrow because in reality, ship cannons couldn't turn much, so you'll only be able to fire if something is almost directly in line with the bow, stern or side.

2: There's apparently a magic item which can affect storms. Personally, I mostly move around on the worldmap, and try to avoid storms. Just before exiting worldmap to sailing mode, I usually save game. Sometimes I'm dumped into a storm even though there isn't one anywhere near me on the map, in which case if I don't want to bother with the storm, I just reload the savegame and try again.

3: Extract the contents of the pack - it's a zip file, not an installer. Then copy the whole lot into the base folder in which your game is installed. For example, my game is in "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean", so that's where I copy the contents of the fixes pack. It contains both "PROGRAM" and "RESOURCE" folders, and so does the game folder, so Windows will ask if you want to merge them, and you say yes. Windows should then move the various sub-folders and files to their correct places.

4: That sounds like the "Stormy Start". Right at the start you talk to Malcolm Hatcher, and you should have three choices. The third one takes you to "Stormy Start". The other two take you to a tutorial which is a set of basic tasks to be accomplished in port - buy a spyglass, sell cargo, repair the ship, hire some crew. Also, some characters have different starts - a naval officer will have a simple briefing from a senior officer before being sent straight to port, for example.

There's apparently a magic item which can affect storms.
There is a Trident that you can use to make storms start and stop.

The "degree" stuff was added by me because I decided storms were too boring because all you had to do was to wait for them to end.
So the idea of this was to give you something to actually do when you're caught up in a storm.

Very good!

Well, about 4) I tried also to talk with Malcolm, but at the end I was on the bridge of the ship, without options, only the red X. The only way to play was the Stormy Start. Any other way failed.

Did you play through the tutorial until Malcolm shows you the way ashore?
That might help.

You don't have the fast travel options in the tutorial until you reach the shore. You have to walk to the door and use it to exit the cabin, and from the deck you have to walk to the disembarking spot and use it. This spot is not so obvious in some of the deck models, maybe that's why you're stuck. Just walk along the starboard side until you see the boat icon prompt in the upper left corner.

Back