• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Stormy Start for Free Play

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
Is there any way to NOT start a new game (in free play) with stormy weather right off the bat? It's kind of annoying, really. :walkplank

I'm fine with stories that would start with a scripted stormy start, but starting every single free-play game with a storm kinda sucks. Any way to fix that?

But I don't want it. lol :razz It's a pain for when I just wanna take some screenshots. :bonaparte

But I don't want it. lol :razz It's a pain for when I just wanna take some screenshots. :bonaparte
If you find the responsible code, then you can get rid of it too. ;)

There is a workaround though that I often use through PROGRAM\console.c (explained also in Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!).
Set switch(1) at the top of that file (instead of 0), then scroll down a bit until you find the "SetNextWeather" and "SetCurrentTime" (sp?) lines.
Remove the // in front of them and change their values that what weather and time you want.
Press F12, then leave the location and you'll have the weather and lighting that you want.

I added those lines specifically for screenshot-making, because I was running into the same issue as you. ;)

Is there any way to NOT start a new game (in free play) with stormy weather right off the bat? It's kind of annoying, really. :walkplank
Easy. Don't tell Malcolm Hatcher that you want to sail off into the storm. xD

Some specific characters have other people to talk to, e.g. Milady de Winter talks to Cardinal Richelieu and then goes straight to San Juan. Generic characters are likely to talk to Malcolm Hatcher or possibly some equivalent for a different nation. So if I want to get some screen-shots or experiment with a specific ship, I start off with a corsair or occasionally naval officer of the relevant nationality and tell Malcolm Hatcher "Will you just spit it out man! Just tell me what you're doing here in my cabin!" followed by "I remember everything just fine. Thanks". This skips that portion of the tutorial which takes place in the cabin. Then I can walk out of the cabin to the deck, and from there to port.

Easy. Don't tell Malcolm Hatcher that you want to sail off into the storm. xD

Some specific characters have other people to talk to, e.g. Milady de Winter talks to Cardinal Richelieu and then goes straight to San Juan. Generic characters are likely to talk to Malcolm Hatcher or possibly some equivalent for a different nation. So if I want to get some screen-shots or experiment with a specific ship, I start off with a corsair or occasionally naval officer of the relevant nationality and tell Malcolm Hatcher "Will you just spit it out man! Just tell me what you're doing here in my cabin!" followed by "I remember everything just fine. Thanks". This skips that portion of the tutorial which takes place in the cabin. Then I can walk out of the cabin to the deck, and from there to port.

That's actually EXACTLY what I do. Still stormy ever time. lol I'll try your fix @Pieter Boelen , till something better comes along.

What difficulty and realism settings are you using? I normally use "Sea Dog" and "Realistic". If you're using tougher settings, perhaps that's what is forcing you to stormy start. During numerous Free-Plays to get screen-shots or do experiments, I've never once had a stormy start, including with the current, official release.

If you find the responsible code, then you can get rid of it too. ;)

There is a workaround though that I often use through PROGRAM\console.c (explained also in Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!).
Set switch(1) at the top of that file (instead of 0), then scroll down a bit until you find the "SetNextWeather" and "SetCurrentTime" (sp?) lines.
Remove the // in front of them and change their values that what weather and time you want.
Press F12, then leave the location and you'll have the weather and lighting that you want.

I added those lines specifically for screenshot-making, because I was running into the same issue as you. ;)

I must have done something wrong. That didn't do anything. Is there a number I'm supposed to put in place of "//"?

Which character are you starting with?

For a recent experiment involving an Advanced Warship, I used the character selection to pick British officer, captain, specifically Jack Sparrow; then used the central selection to make him a corsair; then used the ship selection to give myself the ship I wanted; then started the game, told Malcolm Hatcher to get lost, and walked straight out of the cabin and onto Speightstown pier. It wasn't stormy; it wasn't even raining. :p

To clarify, @Legendary_Spider is not talking about being forced into the "Stormy Start" feature; he just says the weather is stormy.

Some specific characters have other people to talk to, e.g. Milady de Winter talks to Cardinal Richelieu and then goes straight to San Juan.
Technically that is still Malcolm. He just seems different and gets a different dialog.
Refer also to "Robert Fletcher_dialog.c" which is the one that is used for those.

What difficulty and realism settings are you using? I normally use "Sea Dog" and "Realistic". If you're using tougher settings, perhaps that's what is forcing you to stormy start.
I don't think there is any code in place to make that happen. :no

I must have done something wrong. That didn't do anything. Is there a number I'm supposed to put in place of "//"?
// makes the game not see that line of code. Removing that makes the line "active".
You must also set switch(1) at the top of that file (instead of 0) otherwise it never happens either.

To clarify, @Legendary_Spider is not talking about being forced into the "Stormy Start" feature; he just says the weather is stormy.
That's even easier. Start at less than insanely difficult, so you can use the worldmap. Use the worldmap. :D Storms normally prevent that, but not while you're in port.

I'm still surprised that it is possible to always start with stormy weather. The weather was fine enough when Milady stepped off her ship in San Juan for her photoshoot.

I'm still surprised that it is possible to always start with stormy weather. The weather was fine enough when Milady stepped off her ship in San Juan for her photoshoot.
I also don't remember it being always stormy. Though I DO remember seeing a line of code that SHOULD make it always stormy.

Anyway, there should be several feasible workarounds.

// makes the game not see that line of code. Removing that makes the line "active".
You must also set switch(1) at the top of that file (instead of 0) otherwise it never happens either.

I did that. Then I hit F12 in game, and the weather didn't change.

Back