• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Storm Engine 2.8 Mod

Blaze Devlin

Sailor
Storm Modder
:ahoy

I`m wondering if a Mod for the Storm Engine 2.8 exists for GOF2.0 Mod Beta Patch Ver. 1.4? I heard that the original COAS Mod would be around 15 years old, and so I guess the time has come for a bit of "fine tuning" of the inbuilt engine. I guess it would be a very difficult task, but may be worth to give it a try!

Does anybody having some experience to modify the engine? Can you tell me please if somebody found a solution to make the whole engine more stable?

Any kind of help would be very appreciated! Thank you very much for your help and support!! :read

:ship

AOP 2 PA! 2.png

I have some plans in mind, but for that we need either a directx8 to directx9 wrapper, all three around failed to load with COAS, or I need to implement new directx8 effects, for which I need to learn dx8 programming XD

Theoretically it's possible, as all the game is c++ source code, and the lame shader effects they use are also in C++ files. But needs hell of a learning.

There's a 4gb patcher exists, I just posted a file in this topic: (this one can help people with more than 2gb of ram, if he participates in large scale sea battles.)

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/are-there-any-mods-that-can-improve-game-performance.25086/

I have some plans in mind, but for that we need either a directx8 to directx9 wrapper, all three around failed to load with COAS, or I need to implement new directx8 effects, for which I need to learn dx8 programming XD

Theoretically it's possible, as all the game is c++ source code, and the lame shader effects they use are also in C++ files. But needs hell of a learning.

There's a 4gb patcher exists, I just posted a file in this topic: (this one can help people with more than 2gb of ram, if he participates in large scale sea battles.)

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/are-there-any-mods-that-can-improve-game-performance.25086/

Do you remember what COAS had before? Storm Engine 2.0? I read recently in the forum here, that the next update for GOF 2.0 Mod would be Storm Engine 3.0. Is this your plan too? Do you think it`s possible to make the game more stable and prevent more crashes? By the way, I`ll try to process your tips...

Storm 2.0 = Pirates of the Caribbean
Storm 2.5 = Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales
Storm 2.8 = Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships

Well, Im not sure about the 3.0, but it can easily support more than 2gb of ram, as certain exe patchers do exist, and I use them all the time-
If it's not opsystem specific, then we can ship a pre-modded exe. (sadly I think it is, as far as I think, it only modifies a certain exe's flags, so not the exe, but the way the opsystem use it. so users may need to use the large address aware patcher themselves..)

To her question Hylie: Will it have multi core cpu support?

"I have a look into the code and discussed about it with Black Hawck.
And in our opinion the rewrite of the code to provide multicore support should be possible.

However, in that context there are some more questions that have to be discussed first.

At first, when is the right point of time to do this because at the moment all our efforts are focused to upgrade the code to NET Framework 4.
Does the multicore support really provide more performance? Because the current dual-core support is entirely sufficient to handle the game if it is reworked properly.
Is it really necessary to sacrifice time to provide multi-core support when the current dual-core support is more than adequate? "

Good question. All I can say is that the current single core support is not even close to good enough. I am probably not the best person to ask about what is good enough as I use an 8 core CPU and see them all used in new games. I do not have a game that uses 2 cores only, so can not say how it will work. You know your situation and should set your schedule to fit your goals.

This is what a single core DX9 game looks like on my system and performance is poor. That mod team built that game on a single core engine, released it, and then spent 3 years upgrading it to a multi core engine.
Black Mesa loads.jpg

A suggestion
I do a performance test. Then we will know more.
In 2 weeks I can make it.

I have eliminated all syntax errors.
I can confirm the game loads 50% faster.

Now I control all the paths. Many are not well defined.

To her question Hylie: Will it have multi core cpu support?

On Friday, we published the first new version from CoAS. ver 1.3.1
Here are the test results. Look at the CPU and the memory.
So this question is answered. An amendment must not be made.

@ Luke159 and Capt.Daniel Wolf

It depends on the operating system. I am now working on Windows 8.1.
Everything works and is stable. I use a Core i7 with 16GB of RAM.
(see pictures above) Look at Arbeitsspeicher
The main memory with 16 GB is working correctly.

At the moment, we are revising the original game.

COAS has become more stable. Performence greatly improved.
The switch to Windows 8.1 introduces us to other problems.
unclean programmed Scripts

Requirement should be
Windows 8.1, Directx 11, Netframework 4

Back