• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

Ok, the gibberish lines in interface_strings.c are just a blunder on my part. As they were repeated lines, I must have been copy-pasting them but had the wrong bit of text copied and didn't notice (I must have been working on one of the location files at the same time and got the two confused). Don't know how I missed it.

In calendar.c, I swear I had added the XI_ConvertString to the week days in the end, I even posted about it in this thread.

Now I'm finding other issues, like other changes that I had made but are not in the translation files. Probably I messed up when updating and merging my files with the ones in the zip. Looks like I have quite a lot of fixing to do yet.:modding

I may be able to do some more work on this, but I think it would be easier to work with the version of the mod uploaded to ModDB, rather than trying to keep up with the forum releases.

I may be able to do some more work on this, but I think it would be easier to work with the version of the mod uploaded to ModDB, rather than trying to keep up with the forum releases.
The version of the mod on ModDB was very recently updated anyway. ;)

I would like to share the translation that I have been developing for personal use. This translation is the continuation and update of the work done during months by Homo eructus to whom I understand his frustration because of the enormous difficulty of performing a titanic work with too many obstacles that come out of the way.

I had to modify their files and add the rest to obtain an optimal result of 99% of the game and the mod New Horizonts updated to the latest version. To apply the translation you just have to download, unzip, copy, paste and overwrite the downloaded files in the main directory of the game:

C: \ Games \ Bethesda Softworks \ Pirates of the Caribbean

The translation must be copied in Pirates of the Caribbean with the NEW HORIZONTS mod installed and updated to the latest version. Do not release the files on the Bethesda Softworks folder or otherwise the translation will not be installed correctly. Before starting the installation I recommend making a backup of the original DIALOGS and INI folders that are in their respective directories (PROGRAM and RESOURCE).

If you have problems or suggestions about the translation, you can ask me in this thread. I will answer any question and give you a quick answer or solution in case you find an error.

I have played the game to advance the development of the translation and has not given any problems, but I must warn that I have not had enough time to do a complete test, since talking to all the characters takes a long time to know exactly if they respond or not in Spanish or if there is some other related problem. The translation has been edited automatically with thousands of manual corrections on the codes trying to update the files of previous versions to the latest version of the mod, so due to the format problems, I did not want to correct the related grammatical errors with the Ñ, with the accents and the question marks incompatible with the programming language and unnecessary for the functionality. In any case, it can already be said that the translation covers more than 99% of the game. Do not forget that the translation is still in development.

Whoever is still interested, has all the freedom to edit, modify, update and add the remaining work. For my part, I will continue working until the translation is finished. But now I can finally take it more calmly.

Link to the translation by Mega:

MEGA

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks Pieter Boelen for facilitating things and thanks for your contribution to this translation.

A greeting.

Last edited:
Nice, now more people can play this awesome game/mod!!! :cheers:bird::pflag

That is precisely what motivated me to continue this translation. Despite the years, this game is still attractive, but the mod gives the game a beautiful and gigantic amount of content much more colorful, varied and stable than the rest of mods for different games of this genre.

A greeting.

Exactly, have been playing this game years yet i still came back to it even without the mod, but when i found about the mod the game became even better.

It was like an official expansion and maybe a new game if you play a new storyline.

Also, welcome aboard @Xianco!!! :cheers

Welcome on board, @Xianco and thanks very much for your hard work!

@Grey Roger, do you see chance to include this in the next update along with those new Russian files?

In the event that a new update of the New Horizonts mod is launched, I would have to know which are the modified DIALOG files, so I do not have to start checking one by one from the beginning.

I do not know what kind of update they are going to launch soon, but I would bet that they will not change the whole structure of menus, missions and dialogues due to practical issues related to the complexity of said language and game structure. In any case, find what you find, in the next update I will translate what is necessary until it is completely finished.

I suppose that the files that will be modified for the next update will have a direct effect on Common ini. If so, there is no problem. But if all the missions are modified, it will be more difficult to detect which C files have been updated. It would be different if you intend to include new missions by adding new files and in that case, the question would be to know what the names of those files are to avoid a complete revision of all the language folders.

The fundamental problem to translate the game and the New Horizonts mod is to pretend to do an independent translation offering the option of language in the own installation of the mod. For this reason, I have decided to reduce the work by only altering the English texts, forcing the interested party to overwrite the Spanish translation on the English one. The ideal would be to develop a translation integrated in the mod, but the structure of the game is a colossal obstacle to be able to do it in a short time.

In short and being optimistic I could assure you that I will not encounter many problems to complete the translation.

On the other hand, it would be fantastic if developers considered the possibility of using this translation to include it as one more option in future updates. But I must say that this translated is far from being professional until it gets better solving minor problems.

Yesterday I did a lot of work improving a large part of the C files that are in the DIALOGS folder and I realized that I will not need a lot of time until it is clean of grammatical errors.

I hope I have answered your question, but as you can see, my English leaves a lot to be desired.

PD:

It does not matter if the language is English or Russian, the translation can be done practically the same. In fact, during the development of the translation I found a couple of files in Russian. In the end the one who tells the story is the code and not the language.

A greeting.

Last edited:
In the event that a new update of the New Horizonts mod is launched, I would have to know which are the modified DIALOG files, so I do not have to start checking one by one from the beginning.
One thing that could also help is tip #2 from here: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks :doff

The ideal would be to develop a translation integrated in the mod, but the structure of the game is a colossal obstacle to be able to do it in a short time.
There is actually a translation framework already in the mod, but so far it hasn't really been put to use yet.
It allows you to switch languages from inside the game menu.
It was never really put to good use, but in theory it should still work.

One thing that could also help is tip #2 from here: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks :doff

There is actually a translation framework already in the mod, but so far it hasn't really been put to use yet.
It allows you to switch languages from inside the game menu.
It was never really put to good use, but in theory it should still work.

Thanks for the recommendation. From now on, I will use WinMerge to compare the codes. It's a shame not to have had WinMerge at the beginning. I almost went crazy looking one by one for the errors generated in the translation. Now I just have to familiarize myself with WinMerge to save the files without altering the format. code to code comparing the result in the original files (English), with those translated to (Spanish).

Most of the problems I have found have been resolved by manually comparing all the files, line by line, code by code. I had already gotten used to doing it that way, and in fact, with NotePad ++ I still use the option to search and mark any character to resolve the differences in the codes.

I will give you an example of the Father Jerald_dialog.h file in English:

"I'm sorry, #sFather#, but I have to go.",
"Of course, my #schild#. How much do you want to give?",
"I am sorry, #sFather#, but I can't make a donation just now.",

If we translate the complete file into Spanish to save work, the result would be the following:

"Lo siento, # padre#, pero tengo que irme.",
"Por supuesto, mi #schild#. ¿Cuánto quieres dar?".
Lo siento,# padre#, pero no puedo hacer una donación ahora."

The differences between a file and another can be catastrophic because the automatic translator translates the texts well, but not the brands, codes, labels ...

In this example the game would be blocked the moment you talk to a certain character directly related to the Jerald_dialog.h file. In the best case, the character does not show any text and you can continue.

Not wanting to translate line by line manually, I have been forced to review and correct all lines to make sure that nothing is left or nothing is missing.

At first I used Goglee traslator and the work was very dense because Goglee eliminated commas and added quotes, separated and translated words without any meaning, left blank the beginning of many sentences and obviously, when correcting, did not save much time.

Then I tried it with DeepL Traslator and the result was better, but it still generated many errors.

In the end I found Yandex Traslate and the time saved was a thousand times greater.

Also use other programs for translation, but it's not worth it or name them.

I'll tell you how it goes with WinMerge in the next few days.

Welcome on board, @Xianco and thanks very much for your hard work!

@Grey Roger, do you see chance to include this in the next update along with those new Russian files?
Unfortunately, no. This is because @Xianco, instead of creating "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\SPANISH" and "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH", has overwritten "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH" and "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH" with the Spanish translations. If I include these files, anyone wanting to play the game in English will instead see Spanish text!

From now on, I will use WinMerge to compare the codes. It's a shame not to have had WinMerge at the beginning.
I hear you! When I first started here, I did everything with Notepad too.
Then somebody suggested WinMerge and life got SO MUCH better!

So whoever that was: THANK YOU AGAIN! :cheers

By the way:
Code:
"Lo siento, # padre#, pero tengo que irme.",
Everything between #s and # is "translated" elsewhere through the 'preprocessor' system.
So you should probably keep that as #sFather# .

@Grey Roger, do you remember the details on this example? I can't quite seem to figure it out; maybe because my game code is out of date.
I do see your initials on something related in utils.c though:
Code:
    if (GetCharacterIndex("Father Bernard") >= 0) // PB: Not initialized yet the first time this function is called
    {
        Preprocessor_Save("FatherBernard",    GetMySimpleName(CharacterFromID("Father Bernard")));  // GR: For "Church Help"
        Preprocessor_Save("FatherJerald",    GetMySimpleName(CharacterFromID("Father Jerald")));  // and "Animists"
        Preprocessor_Save("FatherGareth",    GetMySimpleName(CharacterFromID("Father Gareth")));  // side quests.
    }

In the end I found Yandex Traslate and the time saved was a thousand times greater.
Glad to hear you got a good one now! Sounds like a nice find. :woot

@Xianco:
In "Father Jerald_dialog.h":
Code:
"I'm sorry, #sFather#, but I have to go.",
"Of course, my #schild#. How much do you want to give?",
"I am sorry, #sFather#, but I can't make a donation just now.",
As @Pieter Boelen says, the parts between the '#' are translated by the preprocessor system. What is between the '#' should match a similar tag in "Father Jerald_dialog.c", where the tag is defined:
Code:
Preprocessor_Add("Father", GetMyFirstNames(CharacterFromID("Father Bernard"), false));
This is wrong, it should be 'CharacterFromID("Father Jerald")'. I'll need to correct that for the next update. But the point is, this line defines the tag "Father" to be the priest's first name. Where '#sFather#' appears in the dialog text, it will be replaced by the priest's first name, which will be "Father" because he is an English priest. The preprocessing will only work if the tag is the same in both "Father Jerald_dialog.c" and "Father Jerald_dialog.h".

Priests' titles probably should not be translated anyway. The English language version of the game calls the Spanish priest in San Juan "Padre Domingues". So the Spanish language version should call the English priest in Bridgetown "Father Jerald". And both versions should call the French priest in St. Pierre "Pater Jourdain".

And '#schild#' probably won't work because "Father Jerald_dialog.c" defines "child":
Code:
   if (PChar.sex == "man") Preprocessor_Add("child", XI_ConvertString("son"));
   else Preprocessor_Add("child", XI_ConvertString("child"));
You have an outdated version of "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini", which is what 'XI_ConvertString' uses for its translations. Your version does not contain "child", though it does contain "son". So a male character talking to the priest will be properly called "hijo" but a female character probably won't be called anything.

@Pieter Boelen: that piece of code sets up preprocessed tags used by the questbooks. It's needed because in "Early Explorers", Father Bernard is not Father Bernard because Port Royale is not English, it's Spanish. So he's given a random Spanish name, then his first name is overwritten in "Periods.c" to be "Padre". The same applies to Fathers Jerald and Gareth because in "Early Explorers" Barbados is Portuguese.

@Pieter Boelen: that piece of code sets up preprocessed tags used by the questbooks. It's needed because in "Early Explorers", Father Bernard is not Father Bernard because Port Royale is not English, it's Spanish. So he's given a random Spanish name, then his first name is overwritten in "Periods.c" to be "Padre". The same applies to Fathers Jerald and Gareth because in "Early Explorers" Barbados is Portuguese.
Ah, you're right! Thanks for reminding me. :doff

@Xianco Thanks for picking up the work. I came to the conclusion that it was impossible for me to keep pace with the mod development to offer an up to date translation that was also to the level of quality I wanted (I do translate line by line, not using automatic translators, and I'd recommend you do the same. I understand it's a huge commitment of time and effort, but there are no workarounds for a quality translation, and autotranslators mess things up in ways that are more trouble to fix than the time it would cost to translate manually from scratch), but I'm glad to see someone else is up to the task!

If you're using my files as a base, there should be no trouble with special characters like ñ and accents, they're perfectly compatible with the game engine, provided the files are codified in ANSI, which can be done with two clicks in notepad++. My files also use the translation framework which allows the translation to function alongside the English version.

Last time I tried it, that translation framework didn't work and broke the game badly. But @Maximus has been working on a Russian translation which does appear to work. It will be in the next update. That may provide a basis for a Spanish translation as well. (The Russian translation does properly use "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN" and "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\RUSSIAN", leaving the "ENGLISH" versions in English, so that you can choose to play in English or Russian.)

Priests' titles probably should not be translated anyway. The English language version of the game calls the Spanish priest in San Juan "Padre Domingues". So the Spanish language version should call the English priest in Bridgetown "Father Jerald". And both versions should call the French priest in St. Pierre "Pater Jourdain".
Not sure about that. Padre, although a Spanish word, is commonly used in English to address Catholic priests (regardless or their nationality), but the opposite isn't true with Father in Spanish. A Spanish speaker speaking in Spanish to an English priest would most likely call him padre.

Back