• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Source code of the Storm Engine has been released under GPLv3 license

q4a

Landlubber
Public Relations
The developer company Akella has a defunct status since 2012, but they have always been supporting the efforts of the modding community and have recently given permission to publish the engine under an Open Source license.

The engine is outdated from a technical standpoint, but it runs Sea Dogs: To Each His Own (2012), the latest game in the Sea Dogs series that still gets updates on Steam. After publishing the engine code in Open Source, the fan community has consolidated its efforts and is actively working on improving the engine (x64 and DirectX 9 support are done, Linux port is planned) and upgrading Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships (2009) and Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) to use the latest version of the engine.

There is announcement on steam page and the source code is available here: storm-devs/storm-engine

Join us!

News about source code:
2 posts on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/opensource...ce_code_of_the_storm_engine_sea_dogs_pirates/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/mdmkv4/source_code_of_the_storm_engine_sea_dogs_pirates/

+ add game engine to this lists:
Open Source Game Clones - still pending - Add Storm Engine - open source engine for Sea Dogs / Pirates of the Caribbean · Issue #1281 · opengaming/osgameclones
Trilarion/opensourcegames - merged, but did not update site yet: Add Storm Engine - game engine for Sea Dogs / Pirates of the Caribbean by q4a · Pull Request #267 · Trilarion/opensourcegames
List of commercial video games with available source code - Wikipedia - there is no page for TEHO, so I pointed to CoAS and write about TEHO support If you know other place where I should post this news - point me.

Thanks very much for your posts all over the web, @q4a!
Clearly you've had success already:

And your work in Public Relations has gotten you a Promotion here!
Congratulations, matey.
Now you can post directly to PiratesAhoy! News
And anything posted there shows up directly on our front page.
Have fun with your newfound Power! ;)

Also, I took the liberty of adding a "prefix" to your thread and "sticky" it on this subforum, so the news stands out more. :doff

Back