• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Some Questions about POTC: NH Modding Tutorial?

The Wicked Wench does indeed only show one flag. I don't think the other masts are capable of having flags assigned to them.

I haven't looked at the rest. But the fact that the Wicked Wench shows only one flag is not the result of your work, it's the way that ship model is made.

Just stopped by for the information on creating a personal flag, and I thank you for the information.

Any tips/tricks for how to add a texture to my custom flag that matches the textures that the other flags have?

Any tips/tricks for how to add a texture to my custom flag that matches the textures that the other flags have?
Files are in RESOURCE\Textures\Flags (or was it Ships\Flags?).
Use the TX Converter to view and convert them.

Files are in RESOURCE\Textures\Flags (or was it Ships\Flags?).
Use the TX Converter to view and convert them.

Thank you! However, forgive me for not being clear. I know how to change the texture files with the converter, but what I want to do is take a simple drawing with bright colors and make it look like it is weathered fabric.

I have Photoshop and I've been playing around with it, but I was curious if there was an easier way you guys had already figured out to fade the bright colors and make it look like a more realistic flag.

Start by using "TX Converter" to change "RESOURCE\Textures\Flags\perflg7.tga.tx" and "perpnt7.tga.tx" to TGA. If you have the 7th January version of Beta 4.1 then these files are mostly blank, with only one position filled. "perflg7.tga.tx" is the main flag and "perpnt7.tga.tx" is its associated pennant.

Resize your flag to 256x128. Copy it and paste it onto the second area of "perflg7.tga" - position 256,0 to 512,127. In the "Layers" window of Photoshop is a setting which by default is "Normal" and which you can click to change to various things. Change your flag to be "Multiply". That should mix it with the underlying texture. Flatten the image, save it as TGA, then convert it back.

You can do something similar to "perpnt7.tga", or you can create a simple banner to use as the pennant with two or three colours. There are a range of pennant shapes to choose from. Copy the one you like best, paste it to the second area, then put your own pennant design on top of it. Also click the "Channels" tab. Look at the Alpha channel. This is a mask which makes some of the texture transparent and is how pennants get their shape. Again, copy the shape you like and paste it onto the second area. When you save it, make sure you choose "32 bits/pixel" so that you save the alpha channel. This is not as critical when you save "perflg7.tga" because most flags are full rectangles, though if you've ever seen Sao Feng's flag, it's the alpha channel which gives that flag its odd shape. Also note that pennants are likely to be stretched as well as tapered, so if there's anything more elaborate than a couple of simple bars, you'll want the design near the mast and shrunk to about half width - compare the shields of the first flag already in "perflg7.tga" and "perpnt7.tga" to see what I mean.

Start by using "TX Converter" to change "RESOURCE\Textures\Flags\perflg7.tga.tx" and "perpnt7.tga.tx" to TGA. If you have the 7th January version of Beta 4.1 then these files are mostly blank, with only one position filled. "perflg7.tga.tx" is the main flag and "perpnt7.tga.tx" is its associated pennant.

Resize your flag to 256x128. Copy it and paste it onto the second area of "perflg7.tga" - position 256,0 to 512,127. In the "Layers" window of Photoshop is a setting which by default is "Normal" and which you can click to change to various things. Change your flag to be "Multiply". That should mix it with the underlying texture. Flatten the image, save it as TGA, then convert it back.

You can do something similar to "perpnt7.tga", or you can create a simple banner to use as the pennant with two or three colours. There are a range of pennant shapes to choose from. Copy the one you like best, paste it to the second area, then put your own pennant design on top of it. Also click the "Channels" tab. Look at the Alpha channel. This is a mask which makes some of the texture transparent and is how pennants get their shape. Again, copy the shape you like and paste it onto the second area. When you save it, make sure you choose "32 bits/pixel" so that you save the alpha channel. This is not as critical when you save "perflg7.tga" because most flags are full rectangles, though if you've ever seen Sao Feng's flag, it's the alpha channel which gives that flag its odd shape. Also note that pennants are likely to be stretched as well as tapered, so if there's anything more elaborate than a couple of simple bars, you'll want the design near the mast and shrunk to about half width - compare the shields of the first flag already in "perflg7.tga" and "perpnt7.tga" to see what I mean.

This is great! Thank you. =)

On a related note, is it possible to switch between different personal flag designs once a game is started, or does it require a game restart?

I ask because in my current game I choose the East India Trading Company flag, and I'd like to avoid replacing it.

Cheers!

On a related note, is it possible to switch between different personal flag designs once a game is started, or does it require a game restart?
Couldn't be easier. Just click on the personal flag design in the F2>Nations Relations interface and you can switch.
In fact, the first time you opened that interface, the game must have shown you a tool tip to let you know you can do that. ;)

Back