• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved SOLVED - New Horizon Low FPS Issue

AVGVTSVS

Landlubber
Hello everyone,
So, before I tried this mod, I've tried to run original Potc game. But had to go with digital, since my CD is long-time gone. But I had one problem that stopped me from playing - menu and overall UI was in somekind of "slow-motion", everytime I've moved in inventory, etc., It was moving pixel by pixel, taking even a minutes just to move by one slot, normaly it would take two seconds. Well, after that I tried to install New Horizons, just to see if it will fix this problem - and hey, it did!
I've been playing it for two days already w/o any issue. But now, it's doing same problem in the starting menu - if i want to load my save by clicking on "load", it wont do anything - moving through load files in the menu is doing the same problem i was describing before. It's a mystery for me, I didn't change anything in the game nor anywhere in my pc, i've saved and loaded this game like dozen times before past these two days, zero problem.
Any suggestions by fellow pirates?

(WIN 10, game is installed on D:)

:nerbz

Hello everyone,
So, before I tried this mod, I've tried to run original Potc game. But had to go with digital, since my CD is long-time gone. But I had one problem that stopped me from playing - menu and overall UI was in somekind of "slow-motion", everytime I've moved in inventory, etc., It was moving pixel by pixel, taking even a minutes just to move by one slot, normaly it would take two seconds. Well, after that I tried to install New Horizons, just to see if it will fix this problem - and hey, it did!
I've been playing it for two days already w/o any issue. But now, it's doing same problem in the starting menu - if i want to load my save by clicking on "load", it wont do anything - moving through load files in the menu is doing the same problem i was describing before. It's a mystery for me, I didn't change anything in the game nor anywhere in my pc, i've saved and loaded this game like dozen times before past these two days, zero problem.
Any suggestions by fellow pirates?

(WIN 10, game is installed on D:)

:nerbz
Well, I don't know much about engine specifics but I have some suggestions.
First of all, never install the game on your disk! Installing on D or C or any disk for that matter is bound to bug your game at some point as far as I know. So the first suggestion is: reinstall the game, this time don't install it on your disk.
Second suggestion: try deleting the "options" file. It gets corrupted after some time and may be causing the lag.
Third suggestion: enable compatibility mode and set it for Windows Vista Service Pack 2. My game has never been smoother after doing this!
In any case, I hope this helps you. Let me know!

First of all, never install the game on your disk! Installing on D or C or any disk for that matter is bound to bug your game at some point as far as I know.
Where else would you install it? The key thing is, don't install it to "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)", as Windows security does silly things there.

But I had one problem that stopped me from playing - menu and overall UI was in somekind of "slow-motion", everytime I've moved in inventory, etc., It was moving pixel by pixel, taking even a minutes just to move by one slot, normaly it would take two seconds.
Sounds like this classic problem:
There's a few solutions suggested in that link.

Oops, my mistake! I installed it in the desktop :p
That should be safe too.

I've tried enabling compability mode for Vista Pack 2, didn't work.
I'll try rest on weekend, thank you everyone, will let you know how it will work out! Thank you.
:cheers

End of the weekend is sadly here, but I managed to sit down and try the rest everyone suggested.

I've done complete re-install (Both vanilla PoTC and New Horizons) - this time on desktop, set compability for Windows Vista S. Pack 2. Played for one or two hours with a lot of saving and loading, no problem. But later it happened again. So I tried to set FPS limit to 60 in NVIDIA control panel, didn't work. As last effort I've grabbed MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner and set the limit to 60 there.

And so far, it's working. Thank you very much!

Back