• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

SkyKittens: The Kings of the Meowtains

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
There seems to be quite a few sky pirate games coming out lately, I'm not quite sure what to make of this one, so I will just throw it out there and let you all make up your own minds. A group of students at the University of Central Florida, Sean Pinnock, Marcelo Carbone, Bryon Adkins, Josh Lamb and Peter Napolitano, created a game for a college project. Tthe idea for the game got such a good reception from fellow students that they decided to create the game for real! The result is some interesting pre-alpha video of the game called SkyKittens: The Kings of the Meowtains.

I'm not really a cat person myself, and there is a lot of work to do, but this looks fairly decent for an Alpha. They will however be rebuilding everything from scratch and it will look much better in the final version. They have decide to go from blimps to actual pirate ships in the final version, so that will help the look and feel of the game quite a bit. They have a post up over on the Unity 3D forum announcing the game with a lot more information, here is a quote from that post :

Our game will feature 3 to 6 different ships they can choose from at the start of the game. More ships will become unlock-able as players progress.

Players will have various upgrades they can select from throughout the game, upgrading your ship will be a primary component for the game.

The game will also feature co-op and versus modes! But campaign mode is intended to be the primary game mode.

There will be numerous levels to play through as well as multiple environments. A bird world, dog world and squirrel world. NOTE: The last one may change....

There will be a third person mode as well as a ship mode, so players can actually disembark, visit towns and of-course raid enemy ships!

SkyKittens will feature completely original soundtracks created by our own in house developers, whom have extensive experience creating tracks.

Story
We feel that story is a very important component for our game. We believe that playing as "sky-kittens" gives us a great opportunity to create a hilarious and entertaining story for our players. We have a dedicated creative writer working with us as well as some voice actors will be using for our game. We hope that we can deliver a tale that will be both fun and hilarious
clear.png

In a nutshell you play as a frisky, lively yet goodhearted cat pirate. After the flooding of his beloved cat kingdom with no where left to go, him and his sully cat crew took to the skies! And now they are ambitiously attempting to take back a kingdom for their cat brethren all the while looting and plundering everything they can along the way!

You can read the full post and see some concept art in the full post HERE! You can read a great article about the development on the UCF online newspaper HERE! You can also follow their development on Facebook and Twitter!

I absolutely love the explosion of Indie developers the past few years, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all! PC Gaming is no where near dead, and the big game companies are going to have no choice but to admit that. I think some companies are really starting to notice too, even Ubisoft now says that DRM doesn't stop game piracy and only hurts the consumer. Unfortunately, their solution includes trying to force everyone to play online or have an online connection, but at least it is a start.

Attachments

• Skykittens.jpeg
    Skykittens.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 39
Hehe. That first one made me think of a game from 2000 or so called Giants. Still have it somewhere.

This looks like possibly a steampunk game.

Possibly, but I am not sure, going to have to see how it develops. They have a pic of a ship on their Twitter and Facebook pages, Xenforro doesn't like me pasting HTML links like that though, so you will have to go there to see it.

Back