• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ships and Scurvy up for Voting on Steam Greenlight!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
In case you missed it on our forums, our good friend Oliver Joyce posted that his seafaring epic ...er whimsical nautical role playing game Ships and Scurvy is now up for voting on Steam Greenlight! Just what is Ships and Scurvy? Well, if you had been reading Oliver's DevBlog, or his posts on the forum you would know! But just to make it easy for you without a lot of clicking, here is his trailer from June!

Take a mighty ship, a rascal sea captain, a talking coconut and a motley crew of expendable, mutinous sailors. Throw in a huge ocean of islands, sea monsters, whirlpools and pirate ships. Add in dungeon crawling, sword fighting, and rare tropical diseases and behold – a seafaring adventure of the grandest kind!

Oliver also has a brand new web page up for the game at http://shipsandscurvy.com! What are you waiting for? Head on over and vote for Ships and Scurvy on Steam!!

Attachments

• Ships_and_Scurvy.png
    Ships_and_Scurvy.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 22
Thagarr , thanks so much for your support - it means the world. You guys are awesome - I'm adding you to the credits list as most hearty crew members. What a great online community to set sail with.

Thank you also to everyone who has voted on the game so far! Legendary pirates, all!

Cheers, Oliver Joyce
Whiskeybarrel Studios

Thanks for your kind words mate, and many thanks for including us in your credit list! Really though, you have done all the hard work and deserve all the credit yourself. We are glad that we were able to help you with development of your epic game! I am really looking forward to playing it myself! :cheers

Thanks mate, I definitely appreciate the offer! Unfortunately at the moment I don't have the time to give it a good play through and give you the proper feedback you deserve. Things may free up for me in a week or two, and I will certainly be in touch if I can find the time, I really wanna see some buxom wenches!

So, is this a Roguelike? I read "Faster Than Light" in the description.

There are roguelike elements to the game in the form of top down dungeon crawls on many of the islands ( not in the game yet!) but the 'Faster than Light' comparison is actually more to do with the 'voyage' aspect of the game. You have a ship that you equip and outfit and a little crew , and you make your way through a procedurally generated world with a lot of 'choose your own adventure' style mini-quests. FTL is a lot more brutal than Ships and Scurvy, because once you die, you die. In this game, it's more about working your way through a larger story, defeating all of the various sea captains and monsters of the world while trying to keep your crew from mutinying against you!

Splendificent!

Just one ship or are there different types of ships?

There's the one ship 'template' which all ships in the game use but the ships can be upgraded. So you start off with a single masted, 8 cannon ship with almost no hull armour and only space for 6 crew, and you can upgrade it gradually to become a 3 masted beast with a hundred cannons, fully armour plated and space for ten times that many crew and cargo.

It's ...not exactly realistic that's for sure :) but it works in the context of the game haha!

Thanks GAZ - really appreciate the support! Inspiring to hear, its full sails to the wind for our limey crew now!

Although I would really appreciate when you increase the height of the "camera" in the open sea and decrease the sailing speed. For me it looks like "driving 300 kp/h with a sight distance of 30 meters" ;)

Last edited:
Although I would really appreciate when you increase the height of the "camera" in the open sea and the sailing speed. For me it looks like "driving 300 kp/h with a sight distance of 30 meters" ;)

Oh yeah, totally agree... I'm still working on the perfect 'ship speed vs camera height' ratio. The initial teaser trailer video from back in June showed things way too zoomed in - since then I've really scaled it back. It's tricky because I've made the ocean pretty big and I need the ships to go fast , but if I zoom out too far, it affects performance because I have to track too many ships/islands and so on. Still, we'll get there!

Oh yeah, totally agree... I'm still working on the perfect 'ship speed vs camera height' ratio. The initial teaser trailer video from back in June showed things way too zoomed in - since then I've really scaled it back. It's tricky because I've made the ocean pretty big and I need the ships to go fast , but if I zoom out too far, it affects performance because I have to track too many ships/islands and so on. Still, we'll get there!

MMMM...

Maybe you can divide the ocean into smaller oceans, each ocean an own "level"? Not an elegant solution, but it would save resources.

Back