• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Ship Upgrades

omeskeren

Powder Monkey
I've been using the upgrading thread from the russian forum alot, and yet i'm not seeing it here, so i guess i'll just copy it here

Improved vessel parameters

In some settlements, the archipelago has a shipyard, the master of which can not only repair the ship, and to change it constructively, to improve the characteristics (color of the font characteristics will change to green ). Keep in mind : improving one characteristic, you have to sacrifice another. Those.can upgrade only 4 parameters of his ship, the other 4 the parameter will be slightly degraded. For example, if the shipyard Port Royal you have ordered software upgrade speed, then you get a "minus" in the course angle, and vice versa. And you can apply to improve in any combination, but only one time each. The ship's master will make an upgrade only fully repaired ship!

Port Royal (Jamaica)
  • The speed increase (+ doubloons silk)
  • Increased travel to the wind (+ doubloons silk)
Havana (Cuba) and Porto Bello (Southern Maine)
  • Increased max number of guns (doubloons + resin)
  • The increase in tonnage (+ doubloons ironwood)
  • (in my case of english SD:TEHO, Havana does not have this ability)
Kapstervil (St. Christopher)
  • Increased maneuverability (+ doubloons ropes)
  • Reducing the number of crew min (doubloons + ropes)
Curacao (Willemstad)
  • Increased body strength (resin + doubloons)
  • Increased max number of crew (doubloons + ironwood)
Sharp Town (o.Isla Tesoro) master Alexus restore the strength of the hull. For his work will require doubloons + silk + resin + cables + ironwood. IMPORTANT: If you fail the "Pirate Saga" and on Isla Tesoro will be raised the English flag, then forget about the wonderful "Bermuda" shipyard forever!

Original link: К:КС-Корабельный апгрейд - Форум сайта 'Гавань Корсаров'

Last edited:
even the Fortune, the so called "Fast Frigate", is irrelevant :D

xxhHBHP.png

The ship builder say that if you improve something, another thing on the ship will deteriorate. Is the deterioration randomly select the aspect if your ship ir is it fixed? Can you list it as well?
like: improving cargo weight will deteriorate the speed

The "deterioration" is fixed, it applies to the other stat in the same shipyard

for example,

Curacao (Willemstad)
increasing body strength (durability) will make the decrease in max number of crew, and vice versa

A special note with the Port Royal upgrade, increasing speed will decrease angle to the wind (make it wider).
But actually it's very beneficial for me, so it kinda upgrades 2 stat at once without any drawbacks. I don't know about anyone else's preference though.

Also, apparently there's another factor i haven't figure out. as you can see in the screenshot my dauntless has 17. max speed. but the other heavy frigates i upgraded only has 15.ish. The same with the heavy galleon. Maybe it would be helpful if someone can point out what affects this difference

Last edited:
A special note with the Port Royal upgrade, increasing speed will decrease angle to the wind (make it wider).

It must be bugged, but I never understood the numbers for angle to the wind. I think that the wider the angle, the better sailing against the wind.
Can someone explain those numbers? My favorite ships are polacre and normal frigate and they have such different numbers for angle to the wind. It's obvious that polacres are very good against the wind, while the frigates have troubles, but the frigates are very fast with back wind.
I wanted to upgrade my frigate angle to the wind. It has over 16 speed and after the upgrade, the speed drops to 13 while there seems to be litte changes to the angle to the wind numbers, but like i said, those numbers are gibberish to me.
On the other hand, upgrading the speed, it will reach 19, a great speed, but i'm afraid to do it, since already the frigates have trouble against the wind and i don't want to make it worse.

It must be bugged, but I never understood the numbers for angle to the wind. I think that the wider the angle, the better sailing against the wind.
Can someone explain those numbers? My favorite ships are polacre and normal frigate and they have such different numbers for angle to the wind. It's obvious that polacres are very good against the wind, while the frigates have troubles, but the frigates are very fast with back wind.
I wanted to upgrade my frigate angle to the wind. It has over 16 speed and after the upgrade, the speed drops to 13 while there seems to be litte changes to the angle to the wind numbers, but like i said, those numbers are gibberish to me.
On the other hand, upgrading the speed, it will reach 19, a great speed, but i'm afraid to do it, since already the frigates have trouble against the wind and i don't want to make it worse.

i don't really get those numbers myself. There is an explanation in one of the russian site (i forgot which one), but i couldn't understand it, i think might be because missed translations. my advice is to make a save, and try different things yourself.

I managed to figure out the numbers.
In total there are 179 degrees. Probably 180, or half a circle.

My polacre has 63/116
My frigate has 117/62
So, a good ship against the wind has the second value larger than the first value. The larger is the second number, the smaller will be the first one because the total is always 179. The angle made by the black arrows on the mini-map is much wider for ships good against the wind. As long as we keep the ship direction inside the black arrows angle, it will move at good speed.

The Port Royal speed upgrade is bugged in a good way for us, but i'll have to check it myself.

Last edited:
I don't know if i had encountered a bug concerning the upgrade or not, i upgrade to max out the number of crew for my heavy galleon, it already has 441 max crew. I upgraded it and the results are ship's body strength got reduced and the number of crew got green color instead of normal color.

Question, please help
My ketch Mirage lost some hull points pernamently, about 50 point. I wanted to upgrade hull in Willemstad, bu I thouhgt first to bring its original hull strenght at the
Isle Tesoro shipyard. I talk with Alexis, ask him to repair - using first sentence under number 1 "Great! I happen to have a ship...". I have all the materials, and dublons - but he answers "What's all this hocus pocus..." Saying that my ship looks as new... But it have lost some points...

what's wrong?

please help

ps. to check it I bought a new ship from him, and this line (1 sentence) didn't appear - so I think this line in conversation is the proper one for restoring hull primary condition...

???

I don't think there is something wrong.
It's just that your the hull points haven't dropped enough for the restoration to be available.
I remember having the same problem, until it dropped again a bit; and I could proceed.

I've been using the upgrading thread from the russian forum alot, and yet i'm not seeing it here, so i guess i'll just copy it here

In some settlements, the archipelago has a shipyard, the master of which can not only repair the ship, and to change it constructively, to improve the characteristics (color of the font characteristics will change to green ). Keep in mind : improving one characteristic, you have to sacrifice another. Those.can upgrade only 4 parameters of his ship, the other 4 the parameter will be slightly degraded. For example, if the shipyard Port Royal you have ordered software upgrade speed, then you get a "minus" in the course angle, and vice versa. And you can apply to improve in any combination, but only one time each. The ship's master will make an upgrade only fully repaired ship!

Port Royal (Jamaica)
Curacao (Willemstad)
Sharp Town (o.Isla Tesoro) master Alexus restore the strength of the hull. For his work will require doubloons + silk + resin + cables + ironwood. IMPORTANT: If you fail the "Pirate Saga" and on Isla Tesoro will be raised the English flag, then forget about the wonderful "Bermuda" shipyard forever!

Very helpful!! Thanks a lot!! :thumbs1

Port Royal (Jamaica)
Curacao (Willemstad)

So I have to visit different shipyards, not only the one inside the Pirates Settlement on the Bermudes island just like in the former SD:COAS game? :shrug
:8q

Back