• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ship types

slowdownloader

Landlubber
The games eighteenth century time line should bring about some clipper ships form the era.

names of clipper ships

Amphitrite
Andrew Jackson
bald eagle
belle of the west
Beverly
black hawk
blue jacket
bounding billow
celestial
challenge
champion of the seas
charmer
Cleopatra
comet
cyclone
dauntless
Donald McKay
endeavor
fair wind
fearless
flying arrow
great republic
hurricane
invincible
James Baines
king fisher
lightning
queen of the seas
phantom
raven
red jacket

Initial time frame will be the Seven Years' War.

If I recall, clippers do not usually have cannons as they operated after the age of pirates had come to an end.
Not the best for interesting gameplay, as cool as a Cutty Sark or even SS Great Britain ship might be.

20150209_103504.jpg

Clipper ships were developed way into the 19th century, so they won't be making an appearance in the foreseeable future.

The first pre-clippers started appearing in the 1830's or so.

There were vessels that are now called Baltimore clippers that developed late in the 18th century, and they'll certainly be included, but it's a totally different size, rig, and hull form.

But who knows? Someone might decide to make a mid-19th century shipping mod after the game is released, which would be pretty cool.

Why use cannons when you got speed
Because not being able to blow enemies out of the water is boring? Very little gameplay there.
A proper race could be interesting. But an actual clipper race would take so long that it would again turn boring for "regular" players.

Why use cannons when you got speed

And a real-life application... Whenever somebody came up with an extremely fast type of vessel the people who were doing the chasing (pirates, privateers, etc.) made sure to get one. Then they can catch anyone. If you want to capture vessels you need a few guns to scare the opponent into surrendering, and if you're being chased you'd want something to defend yourself.
This never would have happened to clipper ships, of course, by the time they were being used the pirates were all dead, to put it bluntly. It did happen with Bermuda sloops and Baltimore clippers, though.

But this is the type of thing you have to look forward to.
624.JPG
It's not a clipper, but it is a Baltimore clipper! Able to outrun any other type of ship back in its day.

@Post Captain
What about xebecs? I know they were used only in the Mediterranean but haven't they been among the fastest sailing vessels back then?
monographie-du-requin-chebec-1750-.jpg

Under certain conditions, yes, but I think they're a bit overrated in the mods here. They (the Mediterranean type) would have been very good in light wind, but they probably wouldn't have been stiff enough to beat a good, well sailed Baltimore Clipper in most conditions. They just lack mass. The rig is extremely good downwind and upwind to an extent, but difficult to handle nicely. They couldn't actually tack, or at least not well, so they had to resort to wearing. They'd probably be an equal match for a baltimore clipper in light air, but it's hard to say without looking at individual vessels.

That, and they weren't built for the ocean. They'd probably have trouble in the large, long ocean swells and high winds. There were some oceangoing xebecs built by the French, Spanish, and Scandanavians that could go to sea, but they probably would have been equal in speed to a fast post-ship.

But good point, they could have outran Baltimore clippers in exactly the right conditions, especially in a calm, or near calm.

How about time frame? I think Xebecs would have been around well before Baltimore Clippers were ever made.

That too! They still would have been around though. Actually, there are still lateen craft (Dhows, though, not xebecs) that appear to still be common in the Mediterranean and Africa.

How about Marblehead and similar schooner/brig-rigged vessels' speed? To my untrained eye, lines are similar to Baltimore clipper's. Come upon some time and thought it fits 7YW and looks sleek.

They're sort-of pre-Baltimore clippers, sort of not, but those will defnitely fit, and they were definitely fast. Not as unapologetically fast as Baltimore clippers, though.

Forgot to mention- I think SeaNorris. has one he's working on modeling.

And @slowdownloader
You might want to take a look at The Search for Speed Under Sail by Howard Chapelle. Tons of stuff on clippers in there but also the types of vessels clippers evolved from, and lots of earlier fast vessels too.

This never would have happened to clipper ships, of course, by the time they were being used the pirates were all dead, to put it bluntly.

Pirates are defined in many different ways, depending on who happens to be putting forth the definition. While these vessels were certainly created long after the Golden Age of piracy, piracy was, and still is, very much active in many different forms. Pirates change tactics, adapting to circumstances surrounding them. Clipper ships would have been much more difficult to out-sail and board on the open ocean, that certainly wasn't the case while they were in port or at anchor.

To clarify, I meant the types of pirates we're concerned with in the game. As I said, that was a blunt way of putting it... Piracy is still active as ever, of course.

Back