• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Seaworthy now on Kickstarter, Trying for Steam Greenlight!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend

Seaworthy is a new 16 bit pirate game from Mildly Competent Games (great name btw!) They have set up a Kickstarter campaign that runs through March 10'th, 2015, so far they have raised over $10,000 of there $44,000 goal! The first thing that struck me in the video was the sea shanty, it is “Roll the Old Chariot” nice!

Roll the Old Chariot

We’ll be all right if we make it ‘round the horn
We’ll be all right if we make it ‘round the horn
And we’ll all hang on behind.

We’ll roll the old chariot along
And we’ll all hang on behind

We’d be all right if the wind would fill our sails
We’d be all right if the wind would fill our sails
And we’ll all hang on behind.

Oh, a drop of Nelson’s blood wouldn’t do us any harm
A drop of Nelson’s blood wouldn’t do us any harm

Oh, a little mug of beer wouldn’t do us any harm
A little mug of beer wouldn’t do us any harm

Oh, a plate of Irish stew wouldn't do me any harm
A plate of Irish stew wouldn't do me any harm

Oh a bowl of kitten’s milk wouldn’t do us any harm
A bowl of kitten’s milk wouldn’t do us any harm X2

Oh, a pretty little lass wouldn't do me any harm
Yes pretty little lass wouldn't do me any harm

We’ll be all right when the skipper’s in his grave
We’ll be all right when the skipper’s in his grave

The second thing that struck me were the animations! Watch both videos closely and pay attention to the animations, they are simply awesome! Better yet, they are all animated in glorious 16 bit graphics, absolutely beautiful! This has an authentic look that I haven't seen from a game in a long time, I am really hoping the gameplay captures that same feel.

At first glance, this game doesn't look that complicated, however, if you read fully through there Kickstarter page (it is fairly long!) you will see that there is quite a lot of depth here! There are many strategic decisions that you will have to make to keep you and your crew alive. Oh, and by the way, death is permanent!

They also have a Steam page setup where you can vote to put them on Greenlight! You can vote for them to be added HERE! They also have an IndieDB page HERE! The game is being created for PC, Mac and Linux. From their web page :

Seaworthy is a pirate adventure roguelike featuring RTS combat and brutal 16-bit graphics - inspired by great games like FTL and King Of Dragon Pass. The game is currently in development for PC, Mac, and Linux. Enjoy our initial teaser trailer below.

Seaworthy is our take at an interactive fast paced pirate adventure: a game about building a pirate crew, watching their tales unfold, and facing their gut wrenching decisions. As the Captain of a pirate ship, you are in charge of commanding crew in battle, managing resources, improving your ship, and staying afloat through engaging encounters. Seek glory, adventure, and prosperity all while avoiding the dangers of a dark oppressive procedurally generated world.

Thanks to @leandro195 add his post HERE, we have some front page-worthy news! :onya

Attachments

• Seaworthy.png
    Seaworthy.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 25
I think it looks fantastic, but the gameplay elements they describe on their Kickstarter page sound even better!

Seek glory, adventure and treasure all while avoiding the dangers of a "mystical procedurally generated world."

Which looks very similar to how Starbound did things so it should be good.
02EB6CE53BFC815966E2B0229AE74843BBFECCDF
Also we need this for the pirate smiles.
181F48396B2CF5C7ACE53647545379EB5E6BB64B

Backed! :aar

The animations they have so far are simply awesome! I can't wait to see the boarding combat animations, from the description in the comments page on Kickstarter, it is going to be quite fun! :duel:

Seaworthy has been approved for Steam Greenlight! :onya

Unfortunately, at the moment it doesn't look like they will meet their initial funding goal. I really do not understand why, this game is a fantastic concept and looks incredible! They will however, be regrouping and launching another funding campaign after this one concludes. Hopefully that one will be much more successful! They are on Greenlight though so the game will get finished, it is now just a matter of when.

Back