1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Sea Gypsies

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Thagarr, Nov 23, 2015.

• by Thagarr, Nov 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM
  • Thagarr

Thagarr Pining for the Fjords! Staff Member Administrator Creative Support Storm Modder News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

CNC Machine Operator
    I was doing my usual daily searches today when I ran across an interesting sailing video, of which of course, I have seen plenty. Few however have grabbed my attention like this one! It is a rough cut of a trailer for an upcoming documentary called Sea Gypsies.

Well, that of course got me wondering who are these people, and why are they willingly sailing through hurricane force winds in a motorized sail boat in Antarctica?? The answer I found, certainly wasn't the one I was expecting! I dug deeper and found an earlier trailer on Vimeo.

Ok, more cool sailing in Antarctica, a little bit more of an explanation, lack of official permits and penguins! I cant even begin to describe what these people do and do it any justice, so I won't even try. I will let them, and their videos speak for themselves. There was a bit more information in the description of the video :

And this one over on Youtube :

Then I found their web page over at www.infinityexpedition.org, where they have an even more detailed description of who they are and what they do, and even better, how you can join them! The term Sea Gypsies is very appropriate! They have been doing these voyages since 2004, why have a never heard of these people before?? These guys are awesome!

There are far more videos than I could possibly ever post here on both their channels on Vimeo and Youtube. I highly recommend you have a look through them, they are absolutely incredible! You can also follow their sailing adventures through Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

Hylie Pistof likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Thagarr, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hylie Pistof
    Ayup! These folks seem to be the real deal. :bow

It looks like the process of forming concrete hulls has gotten much better over the decades. The first ones were built in WWII and were crude. There is one wrecked on the California coast.
    Thagarr likes this.
  2. Thagarr
    Indeed, they are! I have been reading through their web page, the blog and looking at the pics and videos, absolutely incredible. I am still at a loss for words. That kind of freedom is something I think we all strive for, but very few actually achieve.

Though it is certainly not without it's problems, anyone considering one of these trips should certainly read their "is it right for me" page. I also ran across THIS post from someone who had recently spent 6 weeks aboard, not exactly a glowing review.
  3. Hylie Pistof
    Read that review. Having spent time in close cramped quarters for extended periods of time most of the issues are pretty much normal for the situation. That said, the captain not taking care of basic cleanliness is inexcusable. That guy's bread ain't quite done.
  4. Thagarr
    As you say mate, a lot of those issues are to be expected, but I agree, the sanitation issues are inexcusable. Especially with children on board.
  5. Infinity Expedition
    Hi Thagarr, thank you for your nice words! Yeah, we're all onboard enjoying the incredible freedom of our lifestyles. We've been lucky to be able to share our adventures and lifestyles with hundreds of amazing people from all over the world over the last 10+ years, and are always welcoming new friends into our pirate family.

Living on a boat is indeed not without its challenges, and we want to be honest about that to avoid any disappointment. That's why we have put the 'is it right for me' page up on our website. Luckily a stay on Infinity has been a positive and life-changing experience for virtually all of our visiting crew!
    Regarding the negative review you have posted, sadly many of the elements described are due to miscommunication between this guest and crew, and also things are portrayed different than the reality was at the time. And yes, on a ship in the tropics you will be fighting coakroaches all the time, and I'm happy to say that the situation is totally under control right now! Also we have changed some things, and our core crew now cooks 3 meals a day, and takes care of the daily cleaning of the ship.

Please look on our website pages to find some more recent blogs about life on Infinity.

If you ever find yourself near Infinity, you have an invite to come onboard and meet the crew over a few beers!

Pirate hugs from Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
    Infinity crew
  6. Thagarr
    Thanks for the invitation, I hope one day to maybe be able to take you up on it! I have been watching quite a few of your videos, and you are all certainly living an adventure most of the rest of us can only dream about! Thanks for sharing! Thanks also for clearing up some points in that review, it's always good to get both sides of the story, I am sure there are some quite challenging conditions at some points during your voyages. I am also sure by the videos, that it is well worth it! I am really looking forward to seeing the full documentary when it is finished. :onya