• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea Dogs : To Each His Own!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Several years ago, we were generously given the opportunity by Akella to have access to the source code for Age of Pirates 2 City of Abandoned Ships. After several months of discussion about what to do with it going forward, we decided to pursue a different path in creating our own game from scratch with Hearts of Oak. Over in Russia however, another group of modders, Blackmark Studio, was also given access to the code, and they decided to recreate the game from the ground up based on that source code. The game was released in Russia a few years ago under the title Pirates Odyssey To Each His Own!

The game was all in Russian however, and not on sale in the west, so it was not very accessible if you didn't speak the language. We did however take a look and were quite impressed with everything they had done to the game! They had added quite a bit to the code that allowed many things that were just not possible in CoAS before! Rather than go through each addition individually, this video gives a pretty good idea of what all has been added.

The game was also released on Steam, but again, only in Russian. Over the last few years, Blackmark studio has been working on an English translation of the game, with the help of some of our forum members, and a lot of other people. A few weeks ago they released the English Beta version on Steam. Today they have officially released the English version with a brand new title, it is now called Sea Dogs : To Each His Own!

The language barrier has been just that the past few years, a barrier! And there has been much confusion about just exactly what was going on with the game. Blackmark Studio has apologized to us for the delays and confusions over the past few years. We would also like to take this opportunity to apologize to them as well, we probably could have done a much better job of supporting them and their efforts. There were unfortunate mistakes and misunderstandings made on both sides. Hopefully with this release, we can set those aside and enjoy this game the way it was meant to be played!

There seems to be some early reports of crashes and bugs with the English version. Also, there appears to still be some translations that need to be done. All this is to be expected with a new game release, so please keep the comments under control gentleman. You can find the Steam page HERE!

Attachments

• Sea_Dogs_TEHO.jpg
    Sea_Dogs_TEHO.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 78
Well this is exciting news indeed! :)

When I first saw that video, I thought it was a simple rerelease of Pirates of the Caribbean, but when I discovered the musket and other new features, I got curious.
Hopefully, it will appear on GOG as I boycott Steam as far as possible.

So, is it me, or can you not find any officers in this game? I am already playing the Mission with the Dutch West India Company and I never saw an officer sitting in a tavern that I could hire! I am alone!!! Any help? Or is this a bug?

So, is it me, or can you not find any officers in this game? I am already playing the Mission with the Dutch West India Company and I never saw an officer sitting in a tavern that I could hire! I am alone!!! Any help? Or is this a bug?
When i played russian version i could hire officers but their skins were different

I was soooooo eager and looking forward to play this - mostly because the graphics are just that tad better than PotC and New Horizon.

But after sailing for a while, searching and searching for where I KNEW that town should be lying - and tearing my hair out in frustration....I suddenly realized....Storm 2.8 engine does not have direct sail....

Back to New Horizons...

Will play it the whole way through but dammit.... it did loose some of its shiny now for me I am afraid.

Was looking forward to some New Horizons "lite" :wp:rumgone

New Horizons is the only version of these games that has Direct Sail :yes.

Personally I am surprised that none of the Russian modders have tried to copy the feature into their mods/games.

Perhaps they are just not as interested in that side of the game as players/modders in the west are. :shrug

:cheers

the graphics are just that tad better than PotC and New Horizon.
True, that. :yes

But after sailing for a while, searching and searching for where I KNEW that town should be lying - and tearing my hair out in frustration....I suddenly realized....Storm 2.8 engine does not have direct sail....
Oopsie! Actually, I'd have been (pleasantly) surprised if they had added that feature as part of the base game.
I distinctly remember the original game developers telling us that "DirectSail" was impossible within the Storm Engine.
Of course @CouchcaptainCharles didn't care about what was and wasn't possible and added it to the game anyway! :rofl

Gonna post it here as well:

Has anybody come that far with the brother's quest, that you have to find a privateer in Antigua? I already was in the whole town and could find nobody. But a house of a Charley Knippel who exactly looks like Gibbs from POTC! But there ain't any dialogue either :( I need help :(

Back