• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

San Fransisco Tall Ship Matthew Turner

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Over the years I have been at PA and doing front page stories, I get asked occasionally why I keep doing it. Why do I keep spending my free time looking up stories about pirates, ships, history, treasure and all things nautical. I don't own the forum and I don't get paid for looking up and writing stories, so what's in it for me? Well, I have two responses, the first is that writing these stories is my way of contributing to this community, a community that gave me a home on the Internet and let me fulfill a lot of my dreams of sailing the Caribbean, if only digitally. I am not a very good modeler or story writer, and I certainly can't code.

The second answer is a bit more complicated, and one I am constantly trying to define, but it usually ends up with me finding story's like the one I am about to show you, the story of the Tall Ship Matthew Turner. As with a lot of my stories, it usually starts with me stumbling on to something cool that catches my attention. Sometimes it may be just a phrase or too in a Google search, or a link to another articles that leads to a completely different story. In this case, I happened across a boat construction Youtube video from January 2015 by a group called Educational Tall Ship.

She may be a bit later design than we are used to, but as the man in the video said, sailing never changes. So I got curious to find out exactly who these people are, and exactly what they are up to. It turns out the Matthew Turner is inspired by a real shipwright from the 19'th century who joined in the California Gold Rush of 1849. He met with some success looking for gold, but decided the real opportunity for growth lay in shipping. During his ship building career, Turner built 228 ships, his first being the brig Nautilus, whose hull design was quite unique and innovative. You can read more about him over on his Wikipedia page.

Back to Educational Tall Ship, their reasons for building this ship are pretty straightforward, they want to educate people, specifically children on Tall Ships and sailing. According to their web page, there mission is :

The mission of Educational Tall Ship is to construct a historic and sustainable wooden tall ship, MATTHEW TURNER, for the San Francisco Bay Area. The project will provide on the water and shore-based experiential education for students of all ages, both during construction and after completion. Programs will focus on marine ecology, sustainability, teamwork, leadership and the rich maritime history of the Bay Area.

The plan is to educate as many as 12,000 kids a year through the Call of the Sea's marine environmental educational program, which currently serves about 5,00 students per year using the schooner Seaward.

They have been building the ship for the past couple of years, using wood from Douglass Fir trees grown in California and Oregon. The wood was donated from an organization that specializes in sustainable forestry. You will have to watch this video over on Vimeo.

Last month, Educational Tall Ship released a trailer for a documentary about the building of the Matthew Turner called “We Built A Ship.”

The first 6 minutes of the documentary, or as they call it, the shipumentary! You will have to watch this video over on Vimeo as well.

I am not sure when or where this documentary will be released, but I will certainly post more when I find out more. They were planning on launching the ship in 2016, but they may have to move it to 2017. You can find out whole lot more about the project, the ship and how you can help, and also watch a live feed of the construction over at their we b page HERE! You can also follow them on Twitter and Facebook as well, where they have posted more great videos and a whole lot of pictures!

It is these kinds of stories, and sharing them with all the great friends I have met here over the years, that keep me coming back and doing what I do. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, however you may choose to celebrate it, and a happy and prosperous New Year!

Attachments

• tallship_400x400.jpg
    tallship_400x400.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
:woot 2017 is shaping up to be a very good year in many ways. I will be looking forward to seeing this ship at the NorCal Pirate Festival. :cheers Interestingly, the main ship there now makes her living doing day sailing cruises.

Those are great videos. I can smell the wood. Thanks for sharing! :bow

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed them mate, I absolutely love ship construction videos, they are awesome! :onya

Hmm, gonna have to look into the emoticon weirdness, some aren't loading. :confused:

Back