• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help sailing against the wind

Johanno

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Hi,
I have a problem i went on my ship and wanted to sail out of the port, but i had headwind and i'm in a bay, where you only have one way out.

I know i can:
  • beating to windward (tacking) (but it's almost impossible to do that in a bay)
  • change to acarde game mode
  • fast travel to the Map

But I want to know if there is a another solution (e.g. row/paddle against the wind)

Last edited:
There's no good way to move against the wind. What I do is fast travel to a building, then back to the port, which usually resets the wind. If there's a building convenient to the dock, I'll go there manually. You may have to do this several times before you get a good wind.

There are a few ports where it's impossible to tack to get out of them.

Hook

well i made it by tacking, but it took some ingame days and i damaged my ship at a cliff, because i had to sail very near to it.
So a featurerequest from me:
can we add rowing so you can tell your crew to take the rows and get the ship moving.
maybe ill try my luck in coding it

Last edited:
@Johanno: Some things very similar to that feature already exist in the game:
1. Steam Ships that actually work
2. Flying Dutchman can actually sail fastest straight into the wind
3. Short speed burst from "rowing" for the Cursed Black Pearl
4. Similar effect if you have the Sword of Triton

All of those use the same basic line of code as their "engine".
You can go to Isla de Muerta and get #4; that might save you the trouble of modding in anything at all ;)

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you.
While I added all the above to the game, I don't remember hearing a lot of feedback from people who used it.

Back