• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

runtime error! - ENGINE.exe

Yarrsh

Landlubber
Hi.
I keep getting the same error with "Microsoft visual C++ runtime library" stating there has been a abnormal program termination.
What did I do wrong?

I am using the build 14 alpha 10 with the fix but the problem occurs even on build 13.
My current hardware specs are:
Abit SR7 - 8X motherboard
Intel p4 2,4 ghz processor
Elixir 512mb DDR PC2100(266mhz) memory
geforce 6800 128Mb (Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH) graphics card

I attached the error.log and system.log, hope someone can help me since I hav ebeen trying to install this mod for days now.

Attachments

• error.log
    109 bytes · Views: 231
  • system.log
    239 bytes · Views: 262
Ahoy Yarrsh, welcome aboard mate! I am not sure exactly what your problem is, but one thing that may be causing it is a DirectX call. You don't say which operating system you are using, if your using Vista, your problem may be that you need to have DirectX 9 installed. This game is fairly old and needs the older DirectX calls to function properly. Also, you need to set the Engine.EXE file to run with Administrator privileges, and you may also need to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode. At least that is how I was able to get it to run. Hope that helps mate!

Had the same problem today. But I don't think it's because of Vista. Run under Vista with no problems besides the usual bugs.
Must be something else. Maybe try campatibility mode to XP if you're using Vista.
No clue what's the problem though.

You didn't edit any files, did ya?
Started with me after i edited some file so doublecheck wether you changed anything/the installation is complete.

Ahoy Yarrsh, welcome aboard mate! I am not sure exactly what your problem is, but one thing that may be causing it is a DirectX call. You don't say which operating system you are using, if your using Vista, your problem may be that you need to have DirectX 9 installed. This game is fairly old and needs the older DirectX calls to function properly. Also, you need to set the Engine.EXE file to run with Administrator privileges, and you may also need to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode. At least that is how I was able to get it to run. Hope that helps mate!

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I am using Windows XP with SP1. I noticed I am still using direct X 9 on this computer and have quite old drivers for my GFX-card so I'm doing a small update on my drivers and direct x.

SP1, you might want to update that (Im using XP with SP3)

Im not sure what SP PotC requires to run

SP1, you might want to update that (Im using XP with SP3)

Im not sure what SP PotC requires to run

There. I have updated my Service Pack to SP3 na dinstalled the newest drivers EXCEPT Direct X. Should i update my Direct X to the latest version(11?) or should I leave it be at DX9?

I still can't manage to start the game even though i've updated everything I can think of. Might it have something to do with the fact that I had an older version of the game installed which I deleted when I reinstalled a new copy at another location in my computer? old files left behind disturbing my new install or something like that?

Hi.
I keep getting the same error with "Microsoft visual C++ runtime library" stating there has been a abnormal program termination.
What did I do wrong?

uhm, can you go in the add\remove programs panel and check if you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 installed?
the former is usually installed during downloading of Microsoft .NET framework 2 or higher but you do not need this to play this game.
also, because this game uses direct x 8.1 you don`t need to upgrade `till Directx 11 which is designed to work ONLY on Vista and Windows 7 comps.
directX9 is the last upgrade for directX family on XP comps,anyhow, your problem must be purely machine-related if even Build 13 final ain`t working for you :?

Hi.
What did I do wrong?

uhm, can you go in the add\remove programs panel and check if you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 installed?
the former is usually installed during downloading of Microsoft .NET framework 2 or higher but you do not need this to play this game.
also, because this game uses direct x 8.1 you don`t need to upgrade `till Directx 11 which is designed to work ONLY on Vista and Windows 7 comps.
directX9 is the last upgrade for directX family on XP comps,anyhow, your problem must be purely machine-related if even Build 13 final ain`t working for you :?

I have/had both 2005 and 2008 installed. I uninstalled the 2005-version and no change.

I also noticed I cant open the config-file since i get the error: "ERROR: Engine.ini or options file missed."

I have/had both 2005 and 2008 installed. I uninstalled the 2005-version and no change.

I also noticed I cant open the config-file since i get the error: "ERROR: Engine.ini or options file missed."

it`s the options file and is missing because the mod reset the game configuration, this is intended behaviour: if you are able to start the game, press options--> control settings-->reset to defaults.
quit the game and run the config.exe, now there`s an option.ini file in the main folder.
anyhow, i did`n tell you to uninstall the MVC++, just to check for it: a lot of applications rely on it, even if is a 2005 version and you have a 2008 version (in the add\remove programs panel you should have them as separate programs, which means 2 separate folders in your computer).

it`s the options file and is missing because the mod reset the game configuration, this is intended behaviour: if you are able to start the game, press options--> control settings-->reset to defaults.
quit the game and run the config.exe, now there`s an option.ini file in the main folder.
anyhow, i did`n tell you to uninstall the MVC++, just to check for it: a lot of applications rely on it, even if is a 2005 version and you have a 2008 version (in the add\remove programs panel you should have them as separate programs, which means 2 separate folders in your computer).

I still can't start the game so I am unable to reset the options to default :/
I uninstalled it so I could reinstall it with the newest update. I do now have both the 2008 and 2005 and the game still complains about the wrldmap2.dll-file.

got some more tips? I'm dying to play this game :)

Did the game ever work on that computer? Does it work on another computer?

I do now have both the 2008 and 2005 and the game still complains about the wrldmap2.dll-file.

wait a moment, what wrldmap2.dll file??
your first post states something related to "Microsoft C++ Runtime Library error", is this the same error or another?

I do now have both the 2008 and 2005 and the game still complains about the wrldmap2.dll-file.

wait a moment, what wrldmap2.dll file??
your first post states something related to "Microsoft C++ Runtime Library error", is this the same error or another?

It is the same error. Basicly the loader freeze at the file "WrldMap2.dll" even though it states "initializing complete". I'm not sure if it clarifys things but here is a print screen of what happens.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6579/potcerror.jpg

I managed to figure out what was the problem.

I toke some time and reinstalled the game from scratch and taking notes of everything I did during the installation-process.
While installing build13 I noticed that the installer added an extra "/Pirates of the caribbean/" after my desired folder. Basicly I have been installing build 13 in a subfolder all the time and thus did not get all the files.
I installed my original game in "d:/program files/Bethesda softworks/Pirates of the Caribbean/" and with the extra added line build 13 got installed in the sub-folder "d:/program files/Bethesda softworks/Pirates of the Caribbean/Pirates of the Caribbean/".
So.. problem solved.. it toke me about twentyeleven attempts to install the game before I spotted the problem.

Thank you for the support.. I would have quit trying a long time ago if it weren't for you guys.

One last thing though! Is b14v10 the most stable version of "PotC:New horizons"? I got stuck in port royale with a mutinous crew since there were no food or rum to be bought in town, no possibility to kill the crew since everyone was stuck and glitched under the deck, bounding boxes of taverns and wilderness was completely off and made the locations nearly impossible to visit due to my character floating at an unwanted level(read: above treetops and outside the tavern) and numerous crashes and errors... I decided to stop playing(temporarilly hopefully) after 4 hours of frustration.

Indeed, there is that problem with the B13 installer and I've only VERY recently found out how that is supposed to be fixed. :facepalm

You can also try Build 14 Alpha 9 with Alpha 9.5 and Patch 4 on top.

Back