• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Robert Edwardes

Mere_Mortal

Free Like a Radical
Storm Modder
I was wondering about the possibility of adding the Welsh pirate, Robert Edwardes (probably became Edwards by his time), as a storyline.

I don’t know much about his life as a pirate, there may even be too little information available to really base a storyline on. Most Google searches return stuff about Edwards Millions, which tells us only that he was bestowed a significant estate by Queen Anne, who I believe also gave him a Letter of Marque. I think it would certainly be a viable plot to base a story on, if only there were some sources to gather.

Does anybody have anything?

Basically adding ANY storyline is totally possible, provided there is someone to make it happen.
I do myself like if most storylines are very much unique though, so what would make it special?

I am certain that one Robert Edwardes was a very unique pirate. He was Welsh for starters, and seemingly a fair number of Welsh people, probably mostly involving pioneers like prospectors or bridge-builders, landed on both feet in colonial North America (although by Robert’s time, it was probably post-colonial). There may be a significant family history to the guy, and hence his surname. It’s actually documented as Edwards, as in the modern spelling, but I would expect it derived from Edwardes. This surname certainly does have history, possibly going all the way back to Richard Edwardes and therefore maybe Henry Tudor as well. Who knows, maybe Queen Anne effectively paid him for silence on royal secrets? Secrets like Henry actually having begot a son who lived old enough to sail to America, as well to write the world-famous tune Greensleeves. Could this be the guy’s ancestry?

While this is purely hypothetical, it does present an interesting story. In fact, the story is so legendary that Hollywood, as in the director Sara Sugarman, might eventually release a film about it, and Media Wales have covered the story a few times as well. It’s one such legacy which never seems to be forgotten, almost like Davy Jones (who incidentally also has a Welsh surname).

The trouble is, I can’t see how the rumours about Manhattan, specifically what is now Trinity Church, would in any way provoke a storyline here. We’d need to know about his life as a pirate other than simply being given a Letter of Marque, otherwise it’s a waste of time really.

Last edited:
He could always be made in a pre-defined Free Play character with a LoM.
Then players can make their own story for him.

Back