• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Releasing Future Modpack Versions

Ahoy there, thanks for your offer! :cheers

On forum management, we've had some new Moderators join our ranks over the past few weeks, so we should be OK there.

For bugs, we have this: Build Mod Bug Tracker | PiratesAhoy!

We have no version control system at all. We once did, but only two people used it until the server died.
Ever since, we've been back to doing it all manually.

All I can do is keeping on testing and track some bugs, and maybe some
ideas from time to time. Just like I use to.
A 6 months public release sounds as a good solution.

As previously announced, modpack updates are rather spurious these days due to a distinct lack of time on my part.
I basically have time for modding one weekend every 2-3 weeks or so, which isn't a whole lot.

There are some new updates I should put into a new Installer, which is quite overdue by now.
But I still don't have the opportunity to make that happen.

Again, any help and/or support in anything would be quite appreciated.
If not, things will remain as annoyingly slow as they are now (or slower still....).

If you please could wait a little so I can fix the apothecary sidequest.
I got a little carried away with finishing the quest (rather than bugfixing :oops:) and this
takes a little time.

Likewise, I'm on the verge of releasing my next "Ardent" update. I'm going to spend much of the weekend testing it myself, then with any luck it will be released on Monday for other people to try to break. :D

Waiting is not a problem whatsoever. I won't even have access to my phone this weekend, let alone my laptop.
So no worries there. :doff

If I am indeed to continue, then one thing I will probably have to do is to simply REFUSE
to add new content to the versions I post that I don't know with 90% certainty are OK.
This is what I said on 8 April 2016. And ever since 28 July 2016, I have been making good on my words there. :rolleyes:
Not actually on purpose, I might add!

I had decided to buy a boat after my vacation to Brazil and that's exactly what I have done.
It is really a surprisingly huge amount of effort to find a boat, get the boat, insure the boat, move the boat to the destination and get maintenance done!
That has easily taken up 90% of my spare time for the past few months and it is still not over yet.

I should be able to get the last bit of the voyage to her new home port done this weekend.
And then hopefully I can get the maintenance and winter storage sorted over the next week.
My schedule should quiet down a bit once that is all sorted. Maybe. Hopefully. Perhaps.

I for one, want the juicy details on this new boat! I talked with a prize yacht owner up here in the U.S. in Seattle, and he laughed when I asked the price. He simply said that maintenance and docking fees where around 1 million USD a year. Normal boats in the U.S. are simply fishing boats you pull behind your truck. I imagine you mean something far more interesting then that. :p Any pictures?

I'd kill to be a longshoreman here in the US, but its a unionized job, and most people do it until they are too old, it pays really well, and its extremely hard to get on with. :)

Anyway, details man! :D

She's a 8.9 m / 29 ft sailing boat built in 1984.
See attached photo (extra upgrades are courtesy of @Grey Roger. :cheeky ).

Docking and maintenance fees are a few thousand euros per year of course, but thankfully not all the way up to 1 million! That'd be silly. :shock

Indeed I very much remember the luxury job of US longshoremen.
Same applies in Canada and Australia, I think.
Always made things tricky with arrivals. Plus rules like "no lines ashore before 07:00 or you can pay an extra hour of docking fees", so we'd deliberately wait until 07:01 before throwing any lines.
Not so efficient. :facepalm

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 211
Ah, nice boat! My first civilian boss in the Pentagon had one identical to that and it was very nice indeed. She took my wife and I out a few times on Chesapeake Bay.

As for administrative work on the mod pack, I don't feel like I'm up to that for a while. I'm still getting my feet wet with the 4.0 release. My specialty is programming and fixing bugs, and I'll be bug hunting as long as I'm around. Most of my work 7 years ago was tweaking and bug fixing.

I like the idea of having a stable version and an experimental version, and moving the experimental features over to the stable version when they're deemed ready. People could play around with any idea they liked in the experimental version, and if it worked and players liked it, migrate it to the stable version. Every so often make a release from the stable version. Things might get pretty wild in the experimental version, but it's better than trying to add everything to a version that you intend to release.

The stable version would still be the final testing ground for those features you wanted to keep, and I'd prefer to work on that. The experimental version would be for new ideas, and I'll help out there when I can.

And if no one's told you lately, we appreciate all the work you've put into New Horizons. I was surprised to see that you were still around, giving how quickly I burned out. :)

Hook

Ah, nice boat! My first civilian boss in the Pentagon had one identical to that and it was very nice indeed. She took my wife and I out a few times on Chesapeake Bay.
@Captain Murphy mentioned an American type boat that seems quite similar to mine.
This particular boat is a Swedish Hallberg Rassy 29 though. Would you have those in the US?

As for administrative work on the mod pack, I don't feel like I'm up to that for a while. I'm still getting my feet wet with the 4.0 release. My specialty is programming and fixing bugs, and I'll be bug hunting as long as I'm around. Most of my work 7 years ago was tweaking and bug fixing.
Bug fixing is one of the main things I consider to be VERY important!
The Bug Tracker has been filling up with small and annoying stuff lately again and it has been a while since we've been able to clear it out again.
So your help is really very much appreciated! :bow

The stable version would still be the final testing ground for those features you wanted to keep, and I'd prefer to work on that.
Thanks very much!
Hopefully in a month or so, things will have quieted down on my side.
And then perhaps everybody can make a big pull together to get a proper stable modpack update ready again.
With you here again, hunting bugs, I dare say we have a pretty high chance of success! :cheers

And if no one's told you lately, we appreciate all the work you've put into New Horizons. I was surprised to see that you were still around, giving how quickly I burned out. :)
*deep bow*
Admittedly, I don't give up easily. ;)

The last time I saw that boat was 40 years ago. :) But I do remember it being a 29 footer and looking like yours. That was from 1976 when I started my programming career. And we probably do have Swedish boats here.

Thanks for the kind words. I think over half my effort 7 years ago was examining every new change and making it work, which meant every time something new was released, I had to stop whatever I was doing and go bug hunting. Some of that code obviously hadn't been tested, and I'd prefer to work with something that's been played a bit.

If you want an example, there was a one line change added to the boarding code that made no sense, and caused a bug that was the same as one reported in the AoP code at the same time. I asked you for a moratorium on AoP code at the time. :) That was one of the things that triggered me rewriting the entire boarding function. I think the boarding code had grown into a monster because ships were fighting to the last man every time, and that could have been solved by a couple of lines in the original code, which was simple and elegant. For what it's worth, while I've only done a couple of boarding actions this time, I found the game to handle it very well. I was a little worried about that given what had happened to that code over the years.

I haven't even looked at the bug tracker yet. :) I'm afraid to.

Hook

I have to admit I don't quite remember what happened 7 years ago very well anymore.

The Bug Tracker isn't TOO bad. A lot of the stuff on there may already be fixed. Or at least half-fixed.
And several other ones are related to stuff that was made AFTER the 28 July 2016 release. Plus some relatively small bugs.
There are only a few bugs that I know to be REALLY nasty. Which is why they've been on there for quite a while indeed.... :oops:

We had the Bug Tracker down to only two pages only a few months ago!

The problem at the moment is I haven't been able to keep up with the bug tracker. On my end it should slow down a bit too and once I've finished pokemon sun (sorry :wp) I have more time again to get things on track again.
If other people would handle some of the bug fixes etc that would be very nice so I can focus more on getting it all together and finally fixing up some of the broken systems.

Are you guys going to start using the GitLab repository soon? I haven't seen any changes submitted to it lately. That would allow the multiple branches like experimental features to be more easily tested.

Unfortunately I've been completely swamped myself and have not been able to even play around with it.
But it's indeed very much something that should be made use of. :woot

Back