• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realize the Dream

Darian Glinski

Landlubber
I have uploaded my resume and standard business presentation. If you have the art work I believe I can bring the game to life. I would not recommend Unity. Unreal Engine has the ability to take topographic data and convert it in to a world. This is done through G.I.S. I would like a compiled list of desires and problems you have run in to realizing the game.

While I am interested in assisting with the project I would not be willing to bring a project like this together in to an Engine with the magnitude of work with out some crowd funding solution at the very least. I also am capable, with other programmers of designing a 3D game engine in DirectX that would meet the demands. I would prefer to avoid this route and believe Unreal can do it, but requires some advanced techniques.

Darian A. Glinski
Interactive 3D International

Email: darian_glinski@yahoo.com

Attachments

• resume.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 563
  • presentation.compressed.pdf
    655.4 KB · Views: 597
Dear Darian

We thank you for your interest and your application.

However by your "demands" you show little to none understanding about what the PiratesAhoy community is about, nor the vision behind Hearts of Oak.

We assessed the different engines available to us a long time ago, and did thorough investigative work to find which one suited us the best. And after a long and tiresome process we decided on Unity. And that will not change. End of story on that part...

Secondly - We have had no problems creating the world maps in Unity, using similar methods as you describe - so it is not an argument for Unreal Engine vs Unity.

Third - Hearts of Oak is a non commercial and non-profit project. It will always be. We will never put it up for sale, and it will be offered fully for free to the masses. It is all volunteer work, and none of the participants will ever get paid anything but recognition for their passion , time put in and work laid down.

It would also be impossible to pay anyone without it becoming problematic regarding all the people who have contributed over the years. Some are no longer here at all - just their work.

We did for a while accept donations solely to buy Pro Seats of Unity for our programmers, and a few assets to kick us off.

So although we would gladly accept any volunteers coming aboard, we cannot accept any of your "terms" - hence we will have to thank you for your interest, and wish you the best further on in your journey.

Best regards

Christian Tornholm-Lehn aka: Flannery

I see your point.

I see no problem with volunteering my time, the crowd funding was strictly for tools. If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing for tools and assets? Obviously there are tools like Texture Maker and assets like Round Earth. I was not aware Unity had the ability to import G.I.S. maps. As a matter of fact I was not aware Unity supported infinite terrain which would be needed for the massive ocean and continents. Do you currently have a latitude/longitude system built in to scale?

I'm a retired veteran and was injured in combat so I have 18 hours a day to put towards this and closing this up. If you could provide some documentation on features and technical information on the current implementations that would be a helpful start so I can see where you are at. Obviously your making headway, you got combat and some sailing going on. I'll be honest I don't have 10 years to spend on a project that isn't making money. My time is usually billed out at 60 dollars an hour, but I love sailing and I love the Golden Age of Exploration and I think this is a game worth investing in.

Is art assets and music for the game pretty much done?

Hello again!

I said similar systems ;)

The team is a good collection of skilled hobbyists and professionals, so the tool-sets are vast and broad in variety.
The world map of the whole Caribbean has been created through a tiling system that has been seamlessly sown together. All generated through the use of satellite height maps of the real world.
I am not disclosing any actual footage here - but I can at least show you the crude tiled map which shows the system:
upload_2016-2-8_0-14-46-png.25758

This is already working and in use in the non-public build we are working on atm.
Now I am not a programmer, All though I am one of the Project managers, I am first of all a Composer, SFX and 3D modelling artist - who could not write a line of code if it would save my life - so more technical questions would have to be answered by someone in that department.

We have basic player combat systems working, we have basic ship combat working - including damage systems. Physics included.
Day/Night cycles are in place - along side with a weather system.

When it comes to music and art assets I can confirm we have an extensive amount of finished, near finished and WIP works.
The music library consists of at least 30 finished or almost finished (missing last mix or mastering) works. The works spans from tavern music, folk and cinematic works for the different atmospheres needed.
We plan to also have Nation correct music for the different towns. But that is not a priority atm.

On the 3D art aspects we have a good few ships ready of different sizes and allot more that can be made ready quickly when needed. On buildings and other land-based assets we have a good amount ready, and definitely enough to create test scenes of villages and towns to test game mechanics. There is also here a vast amount of assets being worked on.
3D graphics wise, we have evolved GUI consepts and the general look we are wanting to test and move forward with on graphical aspects.

Now! - I have to say that we have decided to wait with taking any more people on board the team at least until over newyears eve, as we are reorganizing a little, and revising the Design Document.
Taking anyone aboard atm would not feel right. And in addition we are slowing down considerably for December month as people are busy with holidays preparations or more workloads through their normal day jobs. This is normal though.

So I hope you will let us keep your application and we will definitely get back to you when work pics up again and we are ready to take anyone new on board.
We can then see if you are still available and still want to contribute.

In the meanwhile you can also find allot of answers to much of your questions by looking through the devlogs on www.heartsofoakgame.com

Best regards

Christian

Back