• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Re the patch 7 beta wip

Black Bart

Corsair
Storm Modder
I guess this is mostly for Pieter, but i've been looking through some of the files in the new beta patch(with the new advanced options etc), and i've noticed a few un-commented changes that probably need a comment for later reference etc.

In LogInterface.c:

line 121:
{
if (DISPLAY_DATE) InitDateTimeDisplay() ; // KK

IS NOW:

{
InitDateTimeDisplay() ; // KK

line 734:

if (UPDATE_AI_ON_SEA && bCheckForAIupdate)

IS NOW:

if(bcheckForAIupdate)

Those two might do with a comment on what the changes were for? for example is not checking for UPDATE_AI_ON_SEA on line 734 ok?

Anyway i'll post more bits as i find them(i'm currently checking through the patch 7 files to try to blend them with some of the balance changes i've been making, so it's a file by file check and merge task).

in AIShip.c

line 286:

'if(UPDATE_AI_ON_SEA)' also removed in this file but no comment

line 579:

'if(AUTO_AIMED_FIRE)' also removed but no comment

line 1214:

'if(USE_MINSAILCREW)' removed and replaced with 'if(!bArcadeMode) but no comment

line 2044:

if(oldhour !=GetHour()) has && WEATHER_UPDATE_AT_SEA removed but no comment

line 4326:

'LDH_TURN_RATE_FACTOR' replaced with '1.5' but no updated comment

line 4330:

'if(SAIL_DAMAGE_TURNRATE)' replaced with 'if(!bArcadeMode)' but no comment

between lines 4439 and 4465 is the code that caused the spinning left bug. My fix for that should go here and seems to work.

In general i've no idea how the changes work, but i'm just drawing attention to the comment thing just in case it is needed :shrug

are you seeing them in-game though? i've only found one out of four so far. oh, and the numerical 30 in one of the rumors should be changed to 'thirty'. it looks more natural. there's two files that'll have to be changed for that. i could do it, but i'll be deleting the old versions on this site first, since i haven't got enough space. if the site will let me.

I've seen two 'new' ones(i assume). One was the one that made me laugh above, about the island up north with loose morals etc. The second one i noticed as being different was short, umm and i can't quite remember the details, but it was one i haven't seen before and just fit really nicely as a general bit of conversation. They stand out to me as they seem very natural and fitting for the setting. The older dialogues are bigger, lots of stuff about the indians/smugglers/violence on the streets etc, and maybe don't 'flow' as smoothly as your ones - it's like they are trying too hard to impart information maybe? But yeah i certainly approve of more a varied random topics for the villagers and towns people to have.

All the uncommented changes are because of my Advanced Options menu cleanup.
I was too lazy to add any comments and don't really want to go through the trouble of adding comments.
Somebody else would be welcome to do it for me though. :wp

:no that isn't what they teach in programing books ;)

But having said that, and having found and pointed these out, i will add some comments on your behalf, just so we know the what and why. Please keep in mind this might take a while to get to you(and in the build) as many of my files are in the process of being tweaked and play-tested!!

I take it the things removed are fine? that was my main concern, but as a non-coder i just can't tell. :shrug

@Morgan, i've seen more of your new dialogs, so i might be on 4 from 4(did you only do 4 new ones?) i guess. All of them are excellent and a nice change :onya

I never touched a programming book in my life! :razz
But to be fair, you are right of course. I'm in no hurry for you to finish putting the comments there;
I won't be releasing a new full patch for another 3 months anyway, because I'll still be at sea.

I'm pretty sure my removals are fine; the only one I'm a bit iffy on is the AI Update At Sea.
Can anybody confirm that ships still sail to anchorages or patrol or shift targets, etc.?

Also, anybody using Patch 7 WIP, let me know if you notice any new, weird effects or features that went missing.
I'd also be interested to know if you set Anchoring off, the prisoner ransoming through interface still works properly.

I never touched a programming book in my life! :razz

And with a 'sirname' so close to Boolean(as in maths) i'd have thought you would have written a few ;) :D

But to be fair, you are right of course. I'm in no hurry for you to finish putting the comments there;
I won't be releasing a new full patch for another 3 months anyway, because I'll still be at sea.

I'm pretty sure my removals are fine; the only one I'm a bit iffy on is the AI Update At Sea.
Can anybody confirm that ships still sail to anchorages or patrol or shift targets, etc.?

Also, anybody using Patch 7 WIP, let me know if you notice any new, weird effects or features that went missing.
I'd also be interested to know if you set Anchoring off, the prisoner ransoming through interface still works properly.

I haven't noticed anything massively odd in terms of other ships, but i hadn't really been looking. I'm about to set sail and will keep my eyes open for strange behaviour. Is it the 'patrolling' ships in particular or any AI ships(like encounters etc)?

EDIT:

Added to the buglist in the bug forum as i didn't see it mentioned there directly, but i'm seeing the odd officer(as in 1 in 20 approx) for hire with no reputation/alignment under their names.

The Sea AI Update code applies to all ships at sea and should give their captains a bit of a brain
and have them decide to chase better targets when they appear, for example.
It also has navy ships around islands patrolling around the islands and has merchant ships proceeding into port and then furl all sails (anchor).

Ok well i've been sailing around for quite a while now(in direct sail) and had quite a few encounters, seen battles in the harbours between fort and pirate/enemies , seen ships using the new better 'tacking mod' that irational did, so it looks like those changes have not broken ship AI. But i have had my first CTD when transitioning between port and deck of ship then going to sea, on the going to sea bit i got a CTD, but i've not had it happen since, so who knows?

I've worked out i need option 2 in the slightly confused 'Anchoring' menu to be able to go to ships deck first(instead of port) when anchoring, but not had any prisoners to ransom yet, although will keep an eye on that and report back.

Note that the Sea AI Update code I'm interested in is NOT irational's tack code but Screwface's "more intelligent captains" code.

Ok, well still i'd say that removal in line 286 of AIShip.c of 'if(UPDATE_AI_ON_SEA)' does not seem to make a noticable difference(nor the one in LogInterface.c line 734).

I've even had one long chase(by a pirate Xebec that had the speed and cannon advantage over my Lugger) which saw me tacking to avoid cannon fire, in which a portuguese naval patrol came to my rescue. This was a long drawn out battle in direct sail(no speed up) that lasted about an hour and a half real time, and the naval patrol headed in my direction from about 3000 yards out, i guess seeing i was under attack by pirates. After about 30mins of being left to my own defence they closed the gap and took on the pirates for me, so i left them to it and made a run for port to repair the damage i had taken from the xebec's cannon. Is that the kind of example you were looking for?

sounds to me like the portugese had no idea that the xebec was attacking something, but just wanted it dead.

That is possible, but if so that seems like they could atleast identify targets, which Pieter mentioned as being part of Screwface's "more intelligent captains" code.

One other thing when you have a clock equiped did it ever update the time in a location? or just after entering/exiting a location? I ask because i thought you could stay in a location, speed up time(R key etc) and watch the clock update it's time? I might have been mistaken on that, but for sure now it only updates the time(when i have a clock equiped) when entering/exiting to a new location.

One other thing when you have a clock equiped did it ever update the time in a location? or just after entering/exiting a location? I ask because i thought you could stay in a location, speed up time(R key etc) and watch the clock update it's time? I might have been mistaken on that, but for sure now it only updates the time(when i have a clock equiped) when entering/exiting to a new location.

With Patch 6 - on Land - time only updates when you move from one location to another. :yes

Cheers Talisman, so that is all fine also, as in normal :)

Pieter, I think the changes you made in the patch 7 wip have been all good :D

For the time update on land, try setting this to 0 in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define TIMEUPDATE_BLOCK_LAND		1			// BOOL - whether time updates per minute or on location change (i.e. in blocks)

I've even had one long chase(by a pirate Xebec that had the speed and cannon advantage over my Lugger) which saw me tacking to avoid cannon fire, in which a portuguese naval patrol came to my rescue. This was a long drawn out battle in direct sail(no speed up) that lasted about an hour and a half real time, and the naval patrol headed in my direction from about 3000 yards out, i guess seeing i was under attack by pirates. After about 30mins of being left to my own defence they closed the gap and took on the pirates for me, so i left them to it and made a run for port to repair the damage i had taken from the xebec's cannon. Is that the kind of example you were looking for?
That does sound like it. Especially the pirates breaking off the attack to fight against the Portuguese instead.

Back