• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ravens Cry E3 Update

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I have been looking for E3 coverage of Raven's Cry, I hadn't been able to track down much of anything new, other than to confirm that Octane was at E3. I was finally able to track down some new information on the Japanese gaming site 4Gamer.net. According to the article, the game starts out with Christopher Raven in Port Royale around 1680, but will move to locations in Mexico and South America in pursuit of Neville Scranton, the pirate that killed his parents.

The article also states that the game will feature a "kill cam" , I guess I really should have seen that coming. :rolleyes: There is some more information such as plans for motion capture for the animation, and the fact that the game will be download only. Being as I don't speak Japanese though, I had to rely on the Google Translate version.

Attachments

• Ravens_Cry.png
    Ravens_Cry.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 22
OK I will try to translate this. I can understand Japanese to some extent.

Raven's Cry開発時の資金不足から,一時はダウンロード形式の小さなプロジェクトに縮小することも考えられていたという。

"From the time of the lacking development funds for Raven's Cry, once a reduction to a small download project was also discussed"

This is a very free translation. However I think they are referring to the very, very first stages in 2010-2011, where Topware wasn't involved as a publisher yet.

As for the kill-cam feature, I really do not care about this feature.

To be honest if the game will have a decent presentation (proper sheathing and reloading, no disappearing bodies, killable civilians, no noticeable or at least a disengageable magic system, no explosion, no generic auto-healing, naval battles that somehow care about realism e.g. proper reloading, no exploding cannonballs, realistic speed), then this game will be at least playable.

I never expect a first rate simulation in the first place, however I hope it will be better than Assassins Creed 3 in terms of presentation.

The only thing we can do is write them mails over mails, where the tone is very friendly and our points are explained somehow. info@octanegames.fi is their contact address.

They promised realism as a feature so let us nail them about it! One mail will not probably change anything but hundreds will change something, hopefully. They are a small company, which has to compete against bigger companies and their titles, the chance of begin heard (after hundreds of mails of course) is much higher than contacting bigger companies.

Thanks for the clarification mate, much appreciated!

Thanks for the clarification mate, much appreciated!

You're welcome.

Oh yeah. I've got a reply from the CEO of Octane games and he said that comprehensive feedback is much appreciated.

Well then for everyone: Write them what you want to see (mainly realism and presentational issue , also the proposition for a disengageable magic system and please do not forget to mention a wish for proper sheathing of weapons and historical realism as much as possible), so we can have an actually decent 3rd person game pirate game, although no simulation :)

I contacted Octane Games and asked them:-

I have been following the development of this game with interest, ( since I enjoy playing Pirate games ) though newsof it has has been few and far between.
I am interested in the sailing aspect of the game and would like to know what sort of sailing experience is planned for the player.
Thank you

This is the reply I got:

Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated!

Our whole team is now aware of your suggestions and we have kept all of our fan mail to mirror those to the production of the game. Rest assured, we will do our upmost best to ship a game that is not only dark pirate story but a kick-ass game experience with brutal, realistic combat and bad-to-the-bone pirates!

The sailing is still pre-Alpha phase and there isn’t much that I’m allowed to tell about that. What I can say that it’s going to look and feel like a real naval battle with a lot of nice animations and effects! ;)

Again, big thanks from the whole team! If you have any more questions I’ll be happy to help!

Cheers,
Henri Lindgren

I am not sure if that means there is going to be actual sailing or what sort of sailing it will be.

:pirates

Just noticed your post Talisman, thanks for the update mate! Sure would be nice if they actually answered the questions that we sent in a year ago though!

Back