• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Ransoming captains.

Teemu Elo

Landlubber
Ahoy mateys. After the governor of Barbados decided to pay me 14k a pop for the heads of two spaniards that thought my heavy galleon would make easy prey, i've decided to hang up my trading gloves for a moment and picked up the Constitution I grabbed off some Gentlemen of Luck earlier. Now the question is, I vaguely recall hearing something about friendly nations paying more for the captains, but I obviously can't walk into Belize and ask the local governor how much his boys are worth to him. And I say obviously, because I even tried to sneak into a spanish settlement once to do that.. Never hurts to try. Nonetheless, would this then mean that dutch would pay more for the spaniards than say, englishmen or frenchies do?

Yes, as far as I remember, they do. They might even pay double. When I do trade runs to get some gold from the spanish cities I usually get rid of the spanish officers that have accumulated. With a trading license, no problem ;)

Ah, well.. I'm not entirely sure that even if I bought one of those crazy overpriced licenses the spanish guards would be too fooled. "Okay, he's flying the flag of spain, he's got the papers and.. Hey, that's a dozen of our captains from ships that he recently sunk!" Propably wouldn't fly unless I ALSO paid to reconcile with Spain..

I just wanted to add, I am at the moment on hostile relations with the dutch, I captured 5 of their captains, bought a trade license to smuggle goods and sold the captains off. They give 5 times the money you would get for a simple pirate captain. So I think it pays off if you have more business there than just ransoming one captain. Although the shop owner did not want to give me a chartering mission ;)

Back