• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Random encounters don't spot you

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
One thing I noticed while playing last night was that the random people wandering around in the jungle have gone blind. It used to be that if one of them spotted you they would all come running for a nice fight. Now you can get quite close to them without them seeing you. This forces me to run around killing them one at a time to harvest their weapons.

It's way too easy and boring.

I can't confirm this. Had a new install of the game and the thieves just came to me.

Do you have a savegame, maybe something is off in your game.

No save right now as I cleaned out the old saves a few minutes ago. This is the same install with the new updates in it and a new game, and they are acting differently now.

No save right now as I cleaned out the old saves a few minutes ago. This is the same install with the new updates in it and a new game, and they are acting differently now.
okay, if the problem reemerges please provide a save so we can see what is going on.

It turns out that the first two times it happened on Bonaire. Then the next three times worked normally on Hispaniola and Antigua.

It turns out that the first two times it happened on Bonaire. Then the next three times worked normally on Hispaniola and Antigua.
Does the problem seem to be related only to bonaire and repeatable there?

I just visited Bonaire again and all was normal. Dunno what happened before to make them all blind.

Could you have been wearing a "stealth" outfit in the dark? Those exist, but there aren't a whole lot of them.

What stealth outfits? Is there an attribute in "initModels.c" which marks an outfit as stealthy?

It looks as though the 'model.camouflage' attribute is the one. As well as inconspicuous Elting and an animist, all the skeleton models appear to have it.

Could you have been wearing a "stealth" outfit in the dark? Those exist, but there aren't a whole lot of them.
hmmm on a sidenode @DeathDaisy this should probably also be taken into account when calculating the caught chance for smuggling ;).

Not necessarily. The coastguard don't really magically teleport to the beach just because you've landed. Either they're watching the smugglers to see who turns up, or a lookout spotted your ship heading for the beach and they've come to investigate - and even if you're wearing a cloak of invisibility, it won't hide your ship.

It looks as though the 'model.camouflage' attribute is the one.
Yep, that's the one! :onya

hmmm on a sidenode @DeathDaisy this should probably also be taken into account when calculating the caught chance for smuggling ;).
I agree with @Grey Roger; no need to take this into account.
The only thing it does is to make you less visible when you're sneaking around in the dark.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Macroshaft was updating this puter for the last 2-3 days solid and that might have something to do with it. There were at least 3 crashes associated with that "upgrade" but hopefully it is done now.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that Macroshaft was updating this puter for the last 2-3 days solid and that might have something to do with it. There were at least 3 crashes associated with that "upgrade" but hopefully it is done now.
Weeeiiird.

Back