• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Question About the new gameplay

allonzo

Landlubber
Hello all
before thanks a lot for release this awsome mod !

i have few question about the new gameplay

- When i start a game in years 1770 on revolution periode and i play 30 years... the game change automaticaly the time periode with the new nation and flag ?

- I started a new game with the new Merchant style game... I want to know if is possible to receive a land like the naval officer style and is possible to manage a colony on my name or i need to give to the nation like the naval officer or i can rule it ?

Thanks a lot!

1. I don't believe so. At least I don't think the engine supports that kind of thing.

2. You get lands which have a certain income, but I'm also fairly sure this isn't possible in this particular title. I do believe that managing colonies and such happens in either the City of Abandoned Ships GoF mod, or Sea Dogs to Each his own with the new expansion pack, but again I'm not sure. I don't think you can own colonies or such tho.

1. The game cant switch between periods. You will always stay in the period you started. You can disable period-accurate appereance for ships though; so you can at least get the chance of encountering ships from the next period (but also earlier periods). You can do that in the 2nd line in ships_init.c

2. As far as I know you can't get lands like naval or privateer captains, since they get those through promotions. They aren't really useful (by now), they just give a small amount of personal money, so I think it is not needed as merchant.

Managing a colony is more or less possible by capturing one. But you won't get much luck with this with any merchant ship. The only way I can think of is putting together some ships with large crews and try to attack the Pirate Settlement at Nevis, since it doesn't have a fort. You need to get rid of all enemy ships first before you can land troops there.
But, same as lands, it isn't very useful by now. You get a bit of taxation money and have your own ships patrolling the waters, but you cant really control it.

The period question was already answered by @Pillat above.
It isn't a game engine limitation though; of somebody would put in a lot of effort, it could be recoded to update during the game.
We just didn't do that because effectively there is very little use for that.

You aren't locked into your role as Merchant so you can still go to a Governor, buy a Letter of Marque and become a Privateer.
Then you can start gaining ranks and land.
Note though that "land" is just an increasing number that gives you wealth. You cannot visit that land.

If you have enough firepower, then you can capture whatever town you want.
You get the chance to keep it for yourself afterwards.
Colony management is quite limited though.

By talking to a Tavern Hired officer, you can also build all sorts of structures wherever you want.
This is known as the BuildingSet mod. It works but since the engine wasn't made for it, you may expect some weirdness.

Ok thanks a lot all for your help and tips !!!

its a very good mod. i have so fun to play it !

if i am a merchant "style game" a can buy i first rate or seconde rate or i am limited to buy only merchant ship type ?
i have i can change option ingame for this but i dont be sure if i can do this

last question about gold deposit to a moneylender where i can find the log i dont see it on the "F1" page ?

thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Well you can change the build options so every ship can be bought in the shipyard. A first rate or 2nd rate will be quite rare though. But there is no real restriction of sailing one as merchant.

I dont exactly get what you mean with the Loanshark and Log but I assume you think that Loanshark deposits gets a Shiplog-Entry, which is not the case. BTW @Pieter Boelen this is something what bugs me since a long time - I always take personal notes for that but those are not editable once you wrote them nor can they be deleted.

if i am a merchant "style game" a can buy i first rate or seconde rate or i am limited to buy only merchant ship type ?
i have i can change option ingame for this but i dont be sure if i can do this
On default settings, first and second rate ships are not sold unless you are a Privateer with a Letter of Marque and the required rank.
It is possible to combine this with trading and then you'll be something like a "Merchant Privateer".

Of course nobody is stopping you from capturing first or second rate ships either.
But you may expect to be branded a Pirate if you do, because you have no legal reason to do that!

In PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h you can find the following lines:
Code:
Settings per ship class:
------------------------
-1 = No LoM required
 0 = Only a LoM required
>0 = National rank required (see nations_init.c)
Set all to -1 to disable this mod
*/
#define RANK_FOR_EIGHTH_RATE       -1     // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SEVENTH_RATE       -1     // Default: No LoM Required
#define RANK_FOR_SIXTH_RATE         0     // Only a LoM required
#define RANK_FOR_FIFTH_RATE         2     // Lowest rank: Junior Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FOURTH_RATE       4     // Lowest rank: Senior Lieutenant (England)
#define RANK_FOR_THIRD_RATE         6     // Lowest rank: Captain (England)
#define RANK_FOR_SECOND_RATE       8     // Lowest rank: Rear Admiral (England)
#define RANK_FOR_FIRST_RATE         10     // Lowest rank: Admiral (England)
Editing those as indicated WOULD allow you to buy massive ships if they happen to be available for sale; this basically disables one of the features of the mod.
Of course you can barely use them, because once you sink and/or capture any ship, it is considered an "unrespectable act".
You lose some relation points for that and eventually could be the reason for you to be considered a Pirate.
With a Merchant License, on the first such act, you get a warning about it. But the second time, you lose your License.
So play with care! :wp

You may want to think through quite seriously what exactly you want to role-play.
If you intend to have sea battles and sink enemies/take prizes, you should consider becoming a Privateer for one of the nations.
If you don't, then consider turning Pirate on purpose! ;)

I dont exactly get what you mean with the Loanshark and Log but I assume you think that Loanshark deposits gets a Shiplog-Entry, which is not the case. BTW @Pieter Boelen this is something what bugs me since a long time - I always take personal notes for that but those are not editable once you wrote them nor can they be deleted.
It's NOT the case? I just checked and there IS code for that in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Usurer_dialog.c:
Code:
WriteNewLogEntry("Visited "+FindTownName(GetCurrentTownID()),"I was desperate enough to borrow some money from the local loanshark. Now I have to return "+iLoanAmount+" plus interest to "+GetMySimpleName(NPChar)+" until "+GetHumanDate(sti(Pchar.quest.(NPC_Area).win_condition.l1.date.year), sti(Pchar.quest.(NPC_Area).win_condition.l1.date.month), sti(Pchar.quest.(NPC_Area).win_condition.l1.date.day))+".","Ship",true);
It may be difficult to find though since apparently it ends up in the Ship's Log grouped under the "Visited [Townname]" label.

Does that explain it?

I never found those. It should be moved in some other log
Can you confirm though that it IS there, now that you know where to look?
Because that would mean at least the relevant code is functional and doing what it should.
And then changing it to a separate entry should be very easy. Actually, you might be able to do it by replacing this:
Code:
"Visited "+FindTownName(GetCurrentTownID())
With this:
Code:
"Loaned from "+FindTownName(GetCurrentTownID()) + " Bank"

And I thought I had hunted down and translated all the log entries... this one escaped my grasp. Well, if it's in the dialog files, I'll get there eventually.

And I thought I had hunted down and translated all the log entries... this one escaped my grasp. Well, if it's in the dialog files, I'll get there eventually.
There's SO much stuff hidden everywhere, I don't think anyone can reasonably blame you for missing a bit. :no

It actually gets logged, but seriously, this is a wonder if you find it :D It should be logged either in General or Personal Entries.

It actually gets logged, but seriously, this is a wonder if you find it :D It should be logged either in General or Personal Entries.
Then refer again to the line I mentioned in post #7 above and make the change I suggest in post #9.
This should make it its own entry instead of joining it with the other "visited town" ones.

Changing the category is nearly equally easy. In that same line, replace "Ship" with "Personal" (or "General" if you want that).
I think that should do the trick. Two-minute fix. ;)

So, here it is: I changed the log to General, since there is actually nothing else I am aware of that gets posted there. Also changed the "Visited " description to something more fitting. Tested, works perfectly as intended ;) Thanks Pieter!

Attachments

• Usurer_dialog.c
    21.9 KB · Views: 125
So, here it is: I changed the log to General, since there is actually nothing else I am aware of that gets posted there.
"General" are:
- Fetch Quest announcements
- Nation Relation changes
- Random Town Events
- Changes to Smuggling Coastguard Patrols

These only show up when you ask the tavern owners for News.
If you're not aware of anything ever being posted there, you might want to try that dialog option some time. ;)

Because these are all related to the "general game world", I would strongly recommend changing the category to "Personal" instead.
If you make that small change, I think you should submit it here!
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/new-content-post-build-14-beta-4-0-public-release.27077

Back