• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Problem editing Ship Textures

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
I am trying to edit a ship texture belonging to the Nightmare ship as I didn't like the look of it. While I was successful editing the Hull I'm having a weird issue with the Deck. In the picture you can see a weird disconnect with the textures on the masts. I can only assume that it has something to do with a separate mesh that handles the destruction condition of components.

Also strange that despite changing the main deck this was also not reflected in game. Does anyone know where it gets its texture for the Deck? It seems the Deck file in the ship only covers partially elements like the top of the Masts etc.

1dJk2iK.jpg

Follow-up question:

Is there a way to make textures exclusive to one ship model?

I noticed that similar to modifying the deck, this particular ship shares common textures as seen with the new lighter sails. Would be cool if I could set exclusive textures for each ship.

O6U519x.jpg

KC4dXcL.jpg

aFDAs4r.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to edit a ship texture belonging to the Nightmare ship as I didn't like the look of it. While I was successful editing the Hull I'm having a weird issue with the Deck. In the picture you can see a weird disconnect with the textures on the masts. I can only assume that it has something to do with a separate mesh that handles the destruction condition of components.

Also strange that despite changing the main deck this was also not reflected in game. Does anyone know where it gets its texture for the Deck? It seems the Deck file in the ship only covers partially elements like the top of the Masts etc.

Another program for you to download:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/Cloud/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/GM Viewer.zip
GM Viewer shows you the model files for ships, or for that matter anything else, and also shows which texture files they use. You'll presumably have found that the deck is a separate model from the hull, "Nightmare1_part1.gm", and that it gets its texture from "desk.tga.tx".

Is there a way to make textures exclusive to one ship model?
This is easy in CoAS because each ship has its own texture folder, e.g. "Nightmare1" gets its textures from "Resource\Textures\Ships\Nightmare1\Hull1". Or "Hull2" or "Hull3". So you can change the deck colour for your version of "Nightmare1" by changing its version of "desk.tga.tx".

I noticed that similar to modifying the deck, this particular ship shares common textures as seen with the new lighter sails. Would be cool if I could set exclusive textures for each ship.
Sorry, here I can't help because I don't know how CoAS chooses the texture for the sails. PoTC has a way of assigning special sails to special ships, plus a way in the shipyard interface to choose whichever sails you like for your fleet in the game. CoAS presumably does something different.

Hey GR, I guess you couldn't actually tell without knowing the original model of the nightmare but I already figured out how to edit the Hulls and Decks. I was just a little confused how common textures are designated as they reside in a root directory and not that of any ship model.

But I think you may have answered that in the first part. Hopefully I can designate specific textures in those GM files. Thanks a lot of the reply and the resource!

PS. What I found most interesting is how the model uses two deck files which for lack of better words, complete each other. Even though I already modified almost every applicable portion of the deck in the ship folder, only the top of the masts reflected that change. But when I copied the same modified deck texture over the common texture it all came together perfectly.

I still don't understand why the deck file respective of the ship is responsible only for a very small portion and the rest is covered by the common file. My guess is this is some kind of shortcut used by the mod devs to use interchangeable textures between many ships of similar design.

For reference this is the Nightmare from what appears to be GOF 1.0 - JS Combined mod 1.9

Last edited:
Back