• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Privateer rank

Alex01

Landlubber
Hello guys!A few months ago I downloaded the New Horizons mod,beta 3.4.A few days ago I read an article about national ranks on your website and it was a rank there called "privateer".I really want to play this type of character but I don't know if this can be only playable in the beta version 4.0 and above.However,if it is possible to play the "privateer" in beta 3.4,I'd want to tell me exactly what can I do to be a privateer.Thank you!

A "privateer" is any player who has a Letter of Marquee.
That is possible in almost all versions of the mod, including the one you've got. :yes

Well,let's say that I have a Letter of Marque.But my ranks are navy ranks,not privateer.What can I do

Well,let's say that I have a Letter of Marque.But my ranks are navy ranks,not privateer.What can I do
I don't remember how it was in earlier versions.
There used to be privateer ranks, then they were replaced with navy ones.
Then the privateer ones were returned in addition.

Have a look at nations_init.c; that's where the ranks are defined.

Well I had a look at "nations_init.c"file and I see no privateer ranks,just only navy ranks
You'd have to swap out the names there then and press F11. That may work.
Or more cleverly, edit the rank name translations in common.ini .

I will try to do what you wrote to me.By the way,is anything different between privateer and naval officer,excepting the rank names?

If I remember correctly, Beta 3.4 gave privateers the same ranks as naval officers. This was a bit silly because the top naval rank is literally the head of that nation's navy, and after one game I was therefore simultaneously head of the English, Dutch and Portuguese navies. Beta 4.1 gives privateers the same ranks as naval officers up to Captain, and after that you get noble titles instead.

Privateer: can have one or multiple Letters of Marque (LoM's). If you capture an enemy ship which is better than your current ship, you can keep the captured ship for yourself. If you accumulate too much money, the crew want their share of it and you must switch to paying by division of plunder to avoid a mutiny.

Navy: serves his own nation exclusively. You must remain in command of the ship assigned to you by the navy; even if you are lucky enough to capture something much better, you can't take it for yourself, you can only sell it for the prize money. But naval discipline prevails and you never need to switch to paying by dividing plunder. When you earn a promotion, you get a new, bigger ship for free, to go with your higher rank.

I will try to do what you wrote to me.By the way,is anything different between privateer and naval officer,excepting the rank names?
In your version of the mod, there is no difference.
You're a effectively a Privateer, regardless of the navy rank names.
The navy gameplay @Grey Roger describes was added in later.

Back