• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Prisoner Ransom (Capitaine de Fregate)

DavyJack

Pirate Queen
Staff member
Storm Modder
:ahoySo I have this prisoner who's been a prisoner aboard my ship in like forever (notice the redemption sum below xD) because I can't talk to him a second time. The first time I spoke to the guy, I refused to let him go because the ransom was not high enough at that time and from that moment on he never sat down again. And I don't want to kill him because the money is too good. xD

I can't remember if he's a special character. I tried looking for him in the Characters folder to try and reset him but failed to do so.

Any ideas on how to reset the prisoners (captured captains specifically) or a random captain or this specific one? Please advise.

Storyline: Ardent

EDIT: error.log attached

2.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• error.log
    1.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
That is indeed a quest character - he's the officer you captured in the fort during "Battle of Isla Mona". But two things puzzle me.

The first is that I had no such problem. I found a savegame in which I still had this officer as a prisoner, talked to him and told him I had not decided what to do with him. He sat down, then I was able to talk to him again.

The second is that your screenshot identifies him as "Capitaine de Fregate". That's his rank, not his name. And I don't recognise that frame at all. This is how he's supposed to look when he talks:
decaux_standing.jpg

Are you using Maelstrom?

The first is that I had no such problem. I found a savegame in which I still had this officer as a prisoner, talked to him and told him I had not decided what to do with him. He sat down, then I was able to talk to him again.
So it's just me then. I can't remember when I spoke with him but he was with at least eight other prisoners at the time. Everyone acted as they should, he was the only special case.
The second is that your screenshot identifies him as "Capitaine de Fregate". That's his rank, not his name. And I don't recognise that frame at all. This is how he's supposed to look when he talks:
View attachment 40789
That is indeed not his name. When you right-click on his image on the character selection though, that is what show's up. I chose and took that screenshot because I thought that would be a better view or a better profile to identify the man.
Are you using Maelstrom?
This is on plane old 2.0. I rarely play the Maelstrom version and I post on discord if I have problems with it since that is somewhat different and behind things.

Attached is my latest save (Hispaniola, Port au Prince 1963) on Ardent Storyline where you can find Valerian Decaux in my cargo hold.

EDIT: I managed to find a save (attached; Hispaniola, Port au Prince 1962) where I haven't spoken to him yet regarding his ransom or a save where he is at least normal. I spoke to him and denied him several times but he sits back down and everything so I am at a loss as to what I did to make him like that. And I don't want to go back to that save because that is way behind my latest one. Too much stuff has happened after that save. Lol. Just trying to find a way now to reset him if I can.

Attachments

• -=Test 1 Ardent=- Hispaniola. Port au Prince port. March 18th, 1693.7z
    795.7 KB · Views: 54
  • -=Test 1 Ardent=- Hispaniola. Port au Prince. October 5th, 1692.7z
    772.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I have recreated the bug in Free Play mode. (log files and a save attached)

I have about 5 or more prisoners. Load my save, go to my cargo hold where all the prisoners are, talk to one of them and tell them you have not decided yet, talk to another prisoner and as soon as you speak to another one after denying the first one, the former just stands up again and will remain so for the entirety of your game unless killed.

Try this one as well: Talk to one of my prisoners, accept his release, talk to another one but tell the second one you have not decided then speak to another POW and the bug should proceed.

Attachments

• compile.log
    176.1 KB · Views: 48
  • error.log
    833 bytes · Views: 58
  • system.log
    20.2 KB · Views: 56
  • -=Test 1=- Nevis. Charlestown Port. September 21st, 1682.7z
    611 KB · Views: 54
I tried the Charlestown save. If I talk to a prisoner and say "I have not decided yet", he sits down. If I talk to another prisoner immediately and say the same, it seems to interrupt the first prisoner's animation and he remains standing. But if I leave the hold and then return, he's sitting again.

If you decide to release a prisoner, he'll stay standing. Normally he'd run to either the door or the stairs, but you have a lot of officers and some of them are in the hold. They're blocking both exits. A prisoner who has been released but can't leave because both exits are blocked will stay put. If you leave the hold and then return, he should be gone.

But you can only release a prisoner in a port of his own nation. You're in Charlestown. Unless you're releasing a British prisoner, the ex-prisoner will stay there until you visit a port belonging to his nation.

You can also release a prisoner if you tell him you're releasing him while you're in a port belonging to an ally of his nation, or a pirate port. I'm not sure if that will be enough for the prisoner to leave if you previously decided to release him while in a port hostile to his nation. See what happens if you sail round to Nevis Pirate Settlement after releasing a non-British prisoner.

I see. Hmnnn. Something else might've happened with Capitaine Dacaux's case then. I just can't remember if I was docked at a french port or a pirate fort or a different nation's port but I know I denied his release. Everyone that was there with him at the very beginning has been gone and I got new prisoners and released them too, but he's still standing there.

Thanks for the advice and for checking it out. I'll try your suggestions when I get the chance. :beer:

Back