• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release PotC: New Horizons - Build 14 Beta 3 Released!

No, the music pack needs to have its code adapted to the new system. Hasn't been done yet. :(

A short hello from my side!:ahoy

Now what's that?
I am busy for some weeks errm months, and you guys dig our such a treasure chest of a new build?
Are you mad? :monkeydance
How shall I find time to play all this ... mates, I'm really in trouble now!

Joke aside, that looks really impressive. Unfortunately, I won't have time to play it right now, but be sure I will as soon as possible. :drunk

Cheers,
Skyworm

Heya Hylie!

Arr, I was away and busy, but I'm still alive and kicking.

In game terms ai disappered by diving below surface. Means, I lately played Silent hunter 4.

But that good old pirate stuff will hook me again, I'm actually downloading the Build 14 Beta 3, couldn't resist the temptation :dance

I'll look in here soon enough.

great, nice work, will there be any updates for GOF? as AOP is my personal favorite of the two, though the one thing I prefer in POTC is the weather and how its consistent in the different areas you go in and going from land to ship, unlike in AOP where it will be raining then you go to your ship and its sunny vice versa lol.

That depends on whether the people who worked on GoF will do anything new. :shrug
Modernknight1 is still working on his Eras mod, which should be released some time soon.

Arr mates,

I just downladed and installed that Beta 3.

It works well until I actually start a game. Then, I'll first get a loading screen - as usual - and then a black screen - not usual.
And because it is still impossible for me to upload any files here, for whatever reason, I'll copy and paste my error logs here manually:

Error.txt
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Locations\init\QuestLocations.c; line: 503
integer function return reference value
RUNTIME ERROR - file: storyline\standard\Locations\init\QuestLocations.c; line: 832
function must return value
RUNTIME ERROR - file: storyline\standard\Locations\init\QuestLocations.c; line: 832
function 'LocationInitQuestLocations' stack error
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Reinit.c; line: 279
invalid index -1 [size:900]
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Reinit.c; line: 279
function 'Reinit' stack error

system.txt
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 202544252 ticks.
Can't load texture resource\textures\CHECKER.TGA.tx
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
Present
The device is lost and cannot be restored at the current time, so rendering is not possible
Present
The device is lost and cannot be restored at the current time, so rendering is not possible
Present
Present
Present
Present
Present
Present
Present
Present
System exit and cleanup:
Mem state: User memory: 9240 MSSystem: 320 Blocks: 20
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 880
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 836
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 792
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 748
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 704
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 660
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 616
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 572
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 528
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 484
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 440
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 396
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 352
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 308
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 264
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 220
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 176
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 132
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 88
Leak: 'C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\XINTERFACE\NODES\xi_strcollection.cpp' line 209, size 44

Great thanks for any help.

Code:
Uh? That file shouldn't even exist. You did install with the EXE installer, right?

Errm ... no?
There wasn't an exe installer in what I downloaded.
I was a bit suprpised about it, but then again, extracting into the game folder was not that unusual for our modpacks here.
And I wasn't suspicious because the whole game menu looks exactly like described in this very post.

Oh well ...
I downloaded this file here ...
b14_beta3_full.7z
from here:
aaaaarghs ...

Ok, there *is* an installer.
And I missed to download it.
I just got the zip and thought it was all.

Now I also understand those questions about "2 files". I had only overflown the whole thread, I admit ...
Will try again now ...

Thanks Pieter! :dance

Yeah! Made it!:aar

And it looks indeed much more polished than before! Very great work!

But ... :rumgone

When you do 5 pages of wonderful advertising information for this new build, why don't you just drop 3-4 lines to tell how this is to be installed? Or ... perhaps it is intended the installation is the first quest of sorts?
If so, nicely done, and indeed the build is a treasure worth the trouble ...

But honestly ...
It took me 3 new and fresh PotC installs to get this running until I figured what I needed and what was meant by this and that.
And to help preventing such thing for others, I will line out my mistakes. Just to show what can all be misunderstood. I think I hit every possibility!

1st,
I did not realize it is two files I need to download. The one I clicked on first was named "full" and I translated "full" = you dont need anything else. Since that was a zip-file, I intuitively unzipped it into my fresh PotC install. And wondered it did not work and asked here.

2nd,
after figuring it was two files instead of one, I got them both, made a new clean and fresh installof PotC (No. 2 to count it). Then I started the "installer". That one complained "the b14_beta3_full.7z is not in this folder".
Which folder?
Since the last folder that same installer had mentioned was the PotC folder, I placed the b14_beta3_full.7z there.
It still did not work.
"Ah", I thought, "placing" here meant "extracting". So I did.
It still did not work.

Then finally I figured that our installer is of the egocentric type and when telling me "b14_beta3_full.7z is not in this folder", it meant the folder where the installer itself is located.

So I did install PotC fresh and clean again (No. 3 now), placed both b14_beta3_installer.4 AND b14_beta3_full.7z, and started the installer again.
And it worked!
:monkeydance

And now, since I don't like to complain, but prefer to contribute, what about placing the following 3 lines somwhere visible in this initial post?
1) Make a clean and fresh install of PotC NOT in the /Programs folder but somwhere else
2) place b14_beta3_installer.4 in any folder of your choice (if they are actually in your /downloads folder, this is fine)
3) start the installer and follow the instructions

But this is of course not a complaint of any kind, it's just too much overwhelming to have this fine new build!
:drunk

People tend to not read the instructions anyway, so I had tried to make the process as self-explanatory as I could.
Clearly I failed. Again. Because you can't win on this one. :modding

I had hoped the "Part 1" and "Part 2" naming here would explain that you need both:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads

And I had hoped that "b14_beta3_full.7z is not in this folder" would be clear enough to indicate that it means THIS folder,
eg. the one you just ran the installer from. :(

I guess you're right mate.
No worries.

However it is explained, someone will not understand it. :facepalm

The word must be getting out about part1 and part2. When I downloaded them from MODDB there were about 4 times as many part2 downloads as part1 downloads. I just looked and now there are more part1 DLs than part2 DLs.

Cheers,

I think part of the problem is hidden in this statement:
Build 14 Beta 3 is now available as a Full Version to be installed on top of the unmodded game or any of the prior modpack versions.
"Build 14 Beta 3" and "Full version" just sounds confusingly like being the same.
I think it might be better to state at this early point, that the new Build consists of 2 files which are both needed, like:

"Build 14 Beta 3 is now available as Installer and Zipfile, and you'll need both to install." (with the underlined words being the links)

Something like that.

I'll try to clarify it sometime next week. Unfortunately I'm a bit busy with all sorts of stuff these days. :facepalm

Is there a walkthrough for "New Horizons" somewhere.

Click on the Wiki button below the Pirates Ahoy logo at the top of the page - then use the Quest /Story Walkthrough link.

There you should find walkthroughs for all the stories currently in the mod.

:read

Thanks Hylie and especially Talisman for your help.:cheers

Please excuse my original grumpy tone.
Everything is so different on the message boards since I was last here, so much of the game has changed as well, and right now my eyes hurt!
Perhaps I need to experiment with the message boards fonts and background colors (if that is possible) and increase my browser to 125%.
I plan on playing the older time periods so am starting with DevlinOpera. I see it does not have a walkthrough so I’ll wing it.

Thanks again all.

No worries, Petros; indeed things have changed a lot since the days of Build 13.
Here you can select some other forum Styles: http://www.piratesahoy.net/account/preferences
Perhaps there is one that looks better to you?

Unfortunately Devlin Opera only has a few opening scenes and ends abruptly afterwards, so it is pretty much Free Play all the way.

Did you know you are a character in the game? "Captain Petros" is featured during the "Sir Christopher Mings" path of the Jack Sparrow storyline.
Might be a bit too modern for you, but I thought you might like to know. :cheeky

Back