• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

POTBS - Player skill vs RPG skill

irR4tiOn4L

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Hey all, one thing i cannot glean from any of the trailers or devlogs is just how much of an RPG this game will be.

To give you an idea what i mean, look at say Pirates of the Carribbean - youve got the RPG elements for the player, and they definitely have an effect, but say with guns, they only affect your spread, not whether you actually hit.

So if you have a ship of the line in POTC, then just because youre low level, you wont lose to a sloop. Your guns will spread a lot, but some are sure to accidently hit, and in any case you can just sail away.

How will POTBS do it? Will the most important thing be your RPG skills, at the expense of realism and player skill?

Will the primary factor in a fight be how good your character is, not your ship?

Will a sloop commanded by a character with good RPG skills be able to overmatch a frigate commanded by a character with poor RPG skills?

Frankly, this is what really matters to me, as i cannot STAND lame RPG elements that defy logic. Oblivion anyone? 100 health vs 1000 health anyone? I really HATE stupid stuff like that.

No matter how good this game is in other aspects, if the most important progression turns out to be skills, with upgrading ships just an afterthought, then its all gone to waste as far as im concerned.

I think the skill-part of the game will mainly be about your ability to string together attacks and maneuver well - that is the impression I got from the trailers and devlogs.

Back