• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Post 28th July fixes

I downloaded the post July fixes and your update Pieter. Both times I got the runtime error and this error log.

COMPILE ERROR - file: Loc_ai\LAi_CreateCaptain.c; line: 113
Function [GetCaptainRank] already declared in: Loc_ai\LAi_CreateOfficer.c line 134

Now I tried to go back to and earlier install and got this error.

COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\sea.c; line: 1006
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
Invalid Expression
missed ')'

My fault for installing the "unfix" fixes.

Any suggestions about how to get the game working again would be appreciated.

@Jason: "LAi_CreateCaptain.c" does not exist in my own game version.
I think that's something from the "Experimental" archive that we've deliberately kept out for now because from what I heard, it isn't quite stable just yet.
Unfortunately the "Post 28 July fixes" from this thread are not compatible with that "Experimental" archive; it's one OR the other, I'm afraid.

To "fix" it now, you probably have to do a reinstall using:
1. Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 23 sept] | PiratesAhoy!
2. http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jul28_fixes.zip
3. Fix in Progress - Post 28th July fixes | Page 5 | PiratesAhoy!

SKIP the Mod Release - Levis' Stuff [October 7th (v2)] | PiratesAhoy! archive.

I still have to write a "Change Log" containing what has been done the past half year. And then I'll be able to compile a new EXE.
It's a shame @Grey Roger won't be back until next week, because I'd like him to have a look at it before doing that if at all possible.

Reinstall on top of existing mess or clean install?
On top of the existing mess will probably be OK.
Especially if you include the "Main Archive Files".

I have not had any problems yet with the January 4 update.
Good to hear! :woot

I think a lot of the confusion is simply because the situation right now is indeed confusing.
Soon to be addressed though. :)

Ok, remind again how to include the main archive files. Thanks
Place "b14_beta4_final.tar" next to the Installer EXE, then follow the instructions.
DON'T deselect the "Main Files" option (it is enabled by default), then continue.
It'll take a fair bit longer than a "simple update", but it is definitely a safer bet to do it like that.

Thanks, is there any chance we will get bug that prevents the officers from boarding fixed any time soon?

Jason,
That bug came in with the experimental stuff in or after Sept 28 update. I am doing a complete re-install with Pieter's suggested files, will let you know if it all works.

Build 14 Beta 4.1 Jul 28 +Post Jul 28 Fixes+ PB fixes.

:cheers
Ahoy @salonikasurf,

Thanks for trying it out! I tested it in my own game version though and it seemed to work fine for me.
Your error.log file indicates there is something wrong with the installation on your end, I'm afraid:
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: items\initItems.c; line: 4158
Invalid Expression
COMPILE ERROR - file: items\initItems.c; line: 4158
Undeclared identifier: EQUIP3_ITEM_TYPE
That was added as a #define to items.h quite recently, but is not a file that I changed myself.

When is the last time you installed a new version of the "Post jul28_fixes" archive?
There have been multiple versions of that and the most recent is dated 23 December 2016.
Maybe you missed out on that one?

If you want to, I'd suggest trying this:
1. Redownload http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jul28_fixes.zip and then install that on your game
2. Now install my ZIP from Fix in Progress - Post 28th July fixes | Page 5 | PiratesAhoy! on top again
3. With a bit of luck, that will have solved the problem

I'm currently working on making a proper new EXE, so you don't need to install so many things in sequence any longer.
With a bit of luck, that will help.

Thanks Pieter - That solved the problem.
Your help is always appreciated.:cheers

Hi Pieter,
Did the post Jul28 +your fixes include Hooks fixes and Island improvements?
I'm still working on making a proper Change Log, but I haven't yet found the time to complete that.
In the meantime, I can tell you that @LarryHookins' updates to the island reload directions were indeed included, as was his fix for the Save errors.

Everything he did on DirectSail however is not yet included.
Once I've got the next EXE ready, I want to make a compatible ZIP so that update can be tested separately from the main fixes.
This is in the pipeline, but I do not know exactly when it'll all happen.
Hopefully over the next week or so.

@Jason: Indeed that was a new bug introduced after the 28 July version through the Experimental mods.
Nobody ever found out the reason, but to prevent bugs, @Grey Roger kept every risky experimental change out of his archive and I have not bothered to re-include anything either.

In a way, this is a bit of a step back. But it should be less buggy and more stable!
And that particular issue should indeed be gone. :doff

Place "b14_beta4_final.tar" next to the Installer EXE, then follow the instructions.
DON'T deselect the "Main Files" option (it is enabled by default), then continue.
It'll take a fair bit longer than a "simple update", but it is definitely a safer bet to do it like that.

Well that fixed it. Things seem to be working fine, officers are boarding, etc. It appears that all the rebalancing was lost when did the reinstall.

It took longer than intended, but here's a changelog of everything that is changed in the files from this thread compared to the 28 July 2016 version:

- New Features:
. New playable characters added: Teresa Moreno (Spanish Freedom Fighter) and Bohdan Aleskeevich Voronov (Russian Cossack) by @Grey Roger
. Baker Rifle added by @Jack Rackham and @Tingyun
. Loanshark added to Grand Turk by @Jack Rackham
. All female characters now support sitting by @Grey Roger
. Extra chests added to captain's cabins by @Jack Rackham
. Improvements to shipyard interface "acquired status" by @pedwryth
- Gameplay/Balancing Updates:
. Boarding Soldier Weapons Mod disabled by @Grey Roger
. Boarding skill decrease for surrendered captains disabled by @Tingyun
. Assigning of skill bonuses made nation-dependent by @Levis
. Governor Ship Hunting quests increase in difficulty for Privateers/Naval Officers by Pieter Boelen
- Code Updates:
. Capture Colonies nation relation consequences brought in line with ships by Pieter Boelen
. Additional support added for translations by Grey Roger and Pieter Boelen
. Rumour texts updated by @Tingyun
. Levelling performance improved by @Levis
. Skill "stack" code simplified and corrected by @Levis, @Jack Rackham and Pieter Boelen
. Default heading for "setting sail" corrected for many islands by @LarryHookins
. Quest item swap function added by @Grey Roger
. Support added for specific navy/merchant character flags by @Grey Roger
- Bug Fixes:
. Reputation discrepancy fixed by @Grey Roger
. Pricing for buying/selling ships with and without upgrades fixed by @pedrwyth
. Trade quests to departure port prevented by Pieter Boelen
. Repeated "Relation Books" prevented by @Grey Roger and Pieter Boelen
. Meaningless system.log entries for missing textures fixed by @pedrwyth
. Fast Travel to player ship fixed if companions are present by @Levis
. Ensure prisoners are removed when appropriate by Pieter Boelen
. Potential CTD due to cargo overup fixed by @Levis
. Navy address title fixed for NPCs by @Grey Roger
. Perks assignment for player party officers fixed by @Levis
. Missing character nationalities added by @Grey Roger
. Missing Jamaica soldier restored by @Grey Roger
. Coastal Guards dialog corrected by @Levis
. Errors with saving fixed by @LarryHookins
. Icon display size code corrected by @LarryHookins
. Spyglass auto-equip in store code corrected by Pieter Boelen
. Nation Relation interface "change flag" functionality corrected by @Levis
. Officer types and boarding crew types fixed by @Levis
. Cannon transfer interface between ships fixed by @pedrwyth
. Goods and Crew transfer interfaces fixed for companion ships by @pedrwyth
. Tomwhawk code corrected by @Jack Rackham and Pieter Boelen
. Opium code reversed and corrected by @Levis
. Quest ship swap function fixed by @Grey Roger
. Hoist Flag code potentially failing fixed by @Grey Roger and Pieter Boelen
. Missing music in Personal towns fixed by @Cassadar
. Trade Quests to same island prevented by Pieter Boelen
- Storyline Updates:
. Sidequests:
> Rys Bloom sidequest extended by @pedrwyth
> Sabine Matton sidequest fixed and improved by @pedrwyth and @Talisman
> First Contact sidequest Flying Dutchman always hostile by @Grey Roger
> Sinking the Vogelstruijs quest code smoothed up by Pieter Boelen
> Sinking the Vogelstruijs Barend Hesselink more formidable enemy by @Grey Roger
> Sinking the Vogelstruys sidequest tie-in with Smuggling removed by @Grey Roger
> Hard Larbours of an Assassin sidequest can be started again if initially refused by Pieter Boelen, fixed by @Grey Roger
> Strange Things Going on in the Archipelago, ending improved by @Grey Roger
> Church Protection sidequest code cleaned up so it completes only once by @Pieter Boelen
> Help the Lady potential quest error fixed by @Grey Roger
> Artois Voysey sidequest potential quest lock fixed by @Grey Roger
> Edgar Attwood sidequest potential error fixed by @Grey Roger
> Nigel Blythe sidequest Ethilrede Claar ship corrected for periods mod by @Grey Roger
. Tutorial:
> Stormy Start potentially permanently lost ship fixed by @Jack Rackham
> Locked Cabin Icon removed after tutorial completes by @pedrwyth
. Standard storyline:
> Code improved by @Grey Roger
. Ardent storyline:
> Quest extension including wedding, convoy strike and aftermath added by @Grey Roger
. Assassin storyline:
> Sidequests restored and incompatibilities fixed by @Grey Roger
. Free Play storyline:
> Naval Officer explanation added by @Grey Roger
. Hornblower storyline:
> Various potential errors fixed by @Grey Roger
. Woodes Rogers storyline:
> More new WIP content added by @Jack Rackham
- Model and Texture Updates:
. Swedish East Indiaman high-detail custom model added by @philipjn and @Armada
. Milady de Winter and Teresa Moreno custom character skins added by @Grey Roger

Can anyone think of anything important that seems to be missing from the above list?

oh and I didn't do anything with Rys Bloom?
Thanks for catching! I must have misremembered, but checking back now, it was indeed Grey Roger who did that.

Fix to store prices consistent if you manually or auto trade with same for shipyard disposal of goods here
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...-4-0-public-release.27077/page-17#post-551871 - Or perhaps it's not included - awaiting testing?
Thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot. Adding it in right now. :woot

So that's a triple thanks from me: For catching both points AND for bothering to double-check what I've been up to in the first place! :bow

I just finished merging the latest fixes compiled by Grey Roger with my own game version.
As part of this, I re-added some fixes of my own back in that either were lost to the depths of Davy Jones' Locker (=the forum) or that I forgot to ever post.
And I also did my usual "check of all the new stuff added" and made some further tweaks and attempted improvements to that.
So for the next "official update", I would propose taking Grey Roger's archive PLUS the attached changes proposed by me.
I've done a WinMerge comparison of that collection and what I already had.

I'm not too happy about including the changes to the skill system, so in my version at least, I'll try to keep them out. The whole idea there was to avoid major changes to the basic game code, so I'm trying to keep mine that way as a baseline in case subsequent changes to the system don't work out. So the following are unchanged in my collection from how they were at the end of 2016:
skill_utils.c
characters.c
Leveling.c
passengers.c
LAi_boarding.c
globals.c

Also:
PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Desmond Ray Beltrop_dialog.h: modified by @Tingyun to remove references to Skull from initial dialog, but your version seems to have lost this
PROGRAM\DIALOGS\governor.c and PROGRAM\NK.c: your versions are missing a line 'PChar.Got_Relation_Book = true;' which is needed as part of the system to prevent you from getting multiple copies of the book
PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.c and Robert Fletcher_dialog.c are both missing a line 'TutDeck.reload.l1.disable = 0;', added by @pedrwyth to remove the lock on your cabin door
PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c is due for another update because I found a minor problem with Elizabeth Swann in the "Silver Train", alias "Jackpot", side quest
PROGRAM\storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c is due for another update as I found a couple of bugs where you deal with Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto
PROGRAM\KB_Routines.c in my version has a line 'cost = GetCostTun(_idx, _improvement, PRICE_TYPE_BUY/10;' with a comment by @pedrwyth that this used to have PRICE_TYPE_SELL but that returns 0. Your version has PRICE_TYPE_SELL so the bug fix is missing.

I'm not too happy about including the changes to the skill system, so in my version at least, I'll try to keep them out. The whole idea there was to avoid major changes to the basic game code, so I'm trying to keep mine that way as a baseline in case subsequent changes to the system don't work out.
I included nothing more than you did yourself. I just rewrote it a bit further to be cleaner, simpler and less risky.
The original code I found in your ZIP contained some slight errors that could potentially cause trouble, so I fixed those.

In addition, I renamed one variable and moved some definitions around to prevent potential confusion.
This has zero impact on the game. If it did, the game would refuse to start.

The reason for this is that "MAX_SKILLS" was used in many spots as if it were the other variable (can't remember it's name), so I changed that to a name that is more self-explanatory.
That then led to me discovering a lot of spots where actually the wrong variable was used, so I corrected those too.
This makes no actual difference though, since both variables are defined as being '10'.
This change is purely to make potential future developments less prone to errors and mistakes.

In other words: All my changes to the skill system are 100% safe and there is nothing experimental about it.
I am certain nobody will ever even notice anything is different ingame.

PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Desmond Ray Beltrop_dialog.h: modified by @Tingyun to remove references to Skull from initial dialog, but your version seems to have lost this
Does anyone remember why that was done? I excluded that on purpose, since I like that Easter Egg.
But it could be that I am the only person still left who understands the reference...

PROGRAM\DIALOGS\governor.c and PROGRAM\NK.c: your versions are missing a line 'PChar.Got_Relation_Book = true;' which is needed as part of the system to prevent you from getting multiple copies of the book
That should not actually be necessary, so I left it out on purpose.
If somebody can try out this bit with starting a New Game on the 7 Jan 2017 version to confirm if it is indeed OK, I'd very much appreciate.
Unless I am very much mistaken, it should work fine even without those additional lines.

PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Malcolm Hatcher_dialog.c and Robert Fletcher_dialog.c are both missing a line 'TutDeck.reload.l1.disable = 0;', added by @pedrwyth to remove the lock on your cabin door
I moved that line to a common spot in the Standard and FreePlay both_reaction.c files.
If I am correct, that should ensure the fix remains working, but also for NON-Stormy Start openings.
Ideally somebody should confirm this though. I did check it with @pedrwyth here:
Fix in Progress - Locked icon not clearing for door from cabin to ship deck | PiratesAhoy!

PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c is due for another update because I found a minor problem with Elizabeth Swann in the "Silver Train", alias "Jackpot", side quest
PROGRAM\storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c is due for another update as I found a couple of bugs where you deal with Anacleto Rui Sa Pinto
Sounds great! :woot

PROGRAM\KB_Routines.c in my version has a line 'cost = GetCostTun(_idx, _improvement, PRICE_TYPE_BUY/10;' with a comment by @pedrwyth that this used to have PRICE_TYPE_SELL but that returns 0. Your version has PRICE_TYPE_SELL so the bug fix is missing.
That is also reverted on purpose, because changing "SELL" to "BUY" turned out to be a workaround for the root issue.
@pedrwyth was kind enough to do some extra investigation and managed to track down the REAL culprit.
So instead of that "temp fix", there is now a better fix for it. See here for details:
Fixed - Shipyard ship replacement- cargo price given as deduction but cargo retained | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

Back