• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Portrait in Lucia's residence

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Bartolomeu has gone to visit Lucia Montavez in her residence, and while she's in her bedroom doing whatever she's doing in there, Bartolomeu looks at the painting on her wall:
bartolomeu_portrait.jpg portrait.jpg

I thought I recognised the subject of that painting, and a bit of Google Image searching confirms it:
ermine portrait | Picture This UK

That's Queen Elizabeth I. xD

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: have you any suggestions for a more appropriate portrait, or other picture, to appear in the home of a daughter of a Spanish governor?

It's defined in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\Colombia.c" as "Governor_Daughter_House", and should probably have its reload disabled so that anyone wandering round Cartagena Palace Square can't go in. Its proper use is during the "Cartagena Firework" chapter of the "Bartolomeu" storyline.

It's defined in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\Colombia.c" as "Governor_Daughter_House", and should probably have its reload disabled so that anyone wandering round Cartagena Palace Square can't go in. Its proper use is during the "Cartagena Firework" chapter of the "Bartolomeu" storyline.
I meant more about the location model... :oops:

Is that a custom location?
Yes, locations\Inside\Residence3_red is a retextured residence3 for WoodesRogers. I would appreciate if that portrait
could remain as it is.

The location model is a customised version of "Residence3" called "Residence3_red" and uses texture file "Residence_3_insRED.tga.tx". The same model appears to be used for "Suarez_House" in Cuba, which is another special location, this time for @Bartolomeu o Portugues' "Family Story".

Possible solution: if Queen Elizabeth I's portrait must appear in Caroline K's room, then I could create a new version with a different portrait for use in the two Spanish locations?

Of course, maybe you should take a look on the other walls too. There you'll find an illustration
from Treasure Island, a picture of Potala palace Lhasa and an old black/white photo of my house. Not so spanish stuff.
JRH residence.jpg

If you're going to retexture the paintings, why not take the chance and change the wall colors from pink as well.
Then we'll have a complete new location.

Of course, maybe you should take a look on the other walls too. There you'll find an illustration
from Treasure Island, a picture of Potala palace Lhasa and an old black/white photo of my house. Not so spanish stuff.

The other pictures may not be specifically Spanish but might not look out of place on the walls of a well-educated Spanish lady. A portrait of one of her country's worst enemies, on the other hand, is not going to please any Spanish guests, especially the admiral who is her neighbour!

If you're going to retexture the paintings, why not take the chance and change the wall colors from pink as well.
Then we'll have a complete new location.
I have no objection. (I already did something similar for the governor's residence in Santiago, which is why you'll find a picture of King Carlos II of Spain there.)

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: any suggestions for pictures, as well as colours for wall, curtains, carpet? "Governor_Daughter_House" and "Suarez_House" are for your quests, so you get to pick the decorations. :D

Last edited:
I've yet to try putting this into place in Cartagena or Havana, but here are some preliminary pictures from GM Viewer.
Overview of the new room showing the new wall and floor, and a close-up of the Persian rug:
development1.jpg development6.jpg

There's now a portrait by Diego Velazquez of King Philip IV, who was on the throne at the time of the "Bartolomeu" storyline, 1660:
development2.jpg

In the far corner of the room are a picture of the Buen Retiro palace and another painting by Diego Velazquez, "The Fable of Arachne":
development4.jpg

Above the cabinet is a painting of the Flying Dutchman - not the Disney version. :p
development3.jpg

And over the door is a picture of the Alhambra Palace:
development5.jpg

Incidentally, I'd hoped to replace the brass vase with a Ming vase. It turns out that the vase texture is also used for the door handles, which I might have tolerated, giving the new room porcelain handles instead of metal. But it is also used for part of the candle holders, and that really didn't look right. So it's back to the original brass vase.

Redecoration of Lucia Montavez's room is now complete and visitors are welcome:
bartolomeu_spanish_residence.jpg

I haven't tried visiting the Suarez house yet but the "models" lines for "Suarez_House" are the same as those for "Governor_Daughter_House" so it should look just the same. The zip file should contain everything needed - model files, texture file, replacement "Cuba.c" and "Colombia.c" location files to use the new interior.

Attachments

• Spanish residence.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 230
Back