• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Port Royale 3 not working? Try this!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I pre-orderd Port Royale 3 on Steam and couldn't get it to work after it installed. The game installed just fine, but wouldn't run no matter what I did. During the install, steam said it would install DirectX, but apparently it didn't. I did a bit of investigating and it needs DirectX 9 and Microsoft .NET to be installed before the game will run.

After installing both I was able to get the game to run. You can get DirectX 9 from FileHippo and you can get .Net from Microsoft

I pre-orderd Port Royale 3 on Steam and couldn't get it to work after it installed. The game installed just fine, but wouldn't run no matter what I did. During the install, steam said it would install DirectX, but apparently it didn't. I did a bit of investigating and it needs DirectX 9 and Microsoft .NET to be installed before the game will run.

After installing both I was able to get the game to run. You can get DirectX 9 from FileHippo and you can get .Net from Microsoft
thank you this helped me :)

Welcome mate, glad it worked for you! :onya

There seems to be some issues with .NET 3 and 3.5, but 4 seems to work fine. Almost every game released on Steam has problems like this. :rolleyes:

Welcome mate, glad it worked for you! :onya

There seems to be some issues with .NET 3 and 3.5, but 4 seems to work fine. Almost every game released on Steam has problems like this. :rolleyes:
u mean net 3.5 has this prob.. so recomended is net 2.0 ??

I am not sure about 2.0, I have .NET 4 installed on Win7 64 bit and it works fine. I think the biggest problem though was with DirectX 9 not installing properly, at least for me.

Now that is strange. .NET and DirectX install issues seem to plague owners of LA Noire as well. Wonder if they use any related tech? I've got that game, but that doesn't seem to be the reason mine's a virtual paperweight. o_O

Official Steam fix for Port Royale 3 :

Issues and Fixes

Secondary Installers

If you're encountering issues with launching Port Royale 3, make sure everything installed smoothly.

Aside from verifying your game cache and checking your connection with Steam, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Port Royale 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx3.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\dotnetfx35.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\port royale 3\DirectXRedist\DXSETUP.exe

Reboot your computer and test any issues again.

OS Specific Troubleshooting

If the above does not resolve the issue and you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, please complete the instructions in our Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting FAQ.

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:

Exit Steam.
Go to the Start menu, select Run, type regedit and click OK.
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
Right click and select Permissions
Check the Allow boxes for Admin and System for both Full control and Read.

:rolleyes:

Back