• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PiratesAhoy! Discord Server

Captain Murphy

Actually a Captain
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Programmer
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Hello everyone! In order to foster a bit more communication among everyone, I have set up a Discord channel for those that tend to use chat apps more often than forums (or just in addition to). We can create rooms there to mirror most of the main topics on the site with their own moderators and admins, so hop on over and join up!

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Unfortunately, it's pretty much dead, despite having 44 members. It seems like only 4 or so members are even active and if I want to talk to Captain Murphy directly (as he's the only one who answers to my questions), I don't need a specific server for that. :(

So it took me a good many years, but I finally joined up with Discord too.
And good thing I did!
With last week's site outage, it was quite useful to have a backup means of communication.
And before I knew it, @Captain Murphy had transferred ownership to me.

Now that I can tweak anything that needs doing, I immediately started making some small changes.
These include:
- Created a new "#storm-devs" text channel for people working on the SD:TEHO Source Code
- Created a "Coder" role for those people doing C++ work, which at the moment is @konradk, @cooodesloth and @kb31
- Created a "Modder" role for people creating mods on the PROGRAM side of things, which at the moment is @Bartolomeu o Portugues, @The Nameless Pirate, @JTem and myself

In other words: We're hoping our Discord will become a bit more lively now over the next few months or so.
If you haven't done so already, be sure to SIGN UP HERE: Join the PiratesAhoy! Discord Server!
Or if you ARE there and want to be set up with the "Modder" or "Coder" tag, be sure to say so! :cheers

Created a new "#storm-devs" text channel for people working on the SD:TEHO Source Code
To be more precise, this channel is for people involved in the Storm Engine development rather than SD:TEHO. The channel description in Discord is correct though.

Created a "Coder" role for those people doing C++ work
I'd suggest renaming it to storm-devs as well. First, it makes the connection with the storm-devs channel obvious. Apart from this, I've never heard referring to C++ game engine programmers as coders :)

I added a Discord chat widget to the storm-engine repo storm-devs/storm-engine, but it requires some tweaking in the Discord server settings. Could you do it as shown in this video?

To be more precise, this channel is for people involved in the Storm Engine development rather than SD:TEHO. The channel description in Discord is correct though.
I meant that it's NOT for any of these versions:
- Storm 1.0 (Akella's Sea Dogs)
- Storm 2.0 (Akella's Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Storm 2.5 (Akella's Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales)
- Storm 2.8 (Seaward.Ru's Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships)

It is the even more recent version of the Storm engine, updated by BlackMark Studios and used in Sea Dogs: To Each His Own.

Of course engine and game are technically separate; but for now, the only game that's 100% playable from the Open Source Code is TEHO; right?

I'd suggest renaming it to storm-devs as well. First, it makes the connection with the storm-devs channel obvious. Apart from this, I've never heard referring to C++ game engine programmers as coders :)
I literally just made up the term. :rofl
There was already "Developers" for those working on Unity.
And many of us here have always called ourselves "Modders".
So I had to come up with something. :wp

Anyway, I changed it now to "Storm Devlin":
Face_292_Blaze_Devlin.jpg

Just to add a bit more humour to it. ;)

I added a Discord chat widget to the storm-engine repo storm-devs/storm-engine, but it requires some tweaking in the Discord server settings. Could you do it as shown in this video?
Is that so the Discord server gets integrated with the GitHub page and you can directly see the chat there?

I tried following the steps from that video, that that whole "Widget" button isn't showing for me.
Not on the Android version of the app, at least.

Is this one of those PAID features?
Or can it perhaps only be done through the PC app?
Maybe I have to "Enable Community"? Whatever that does...
I'm confused. :confused:

for now, the only game that's 100% playable from the Open Source Code is TEHO; right?
@kb31 might have a version of CoAS that is run by this version of the engine.

Is that so the Discord server gets integrated with the GitHub page and you can directly see the chat there?
that's just for showing the number of online users on the Discord server similar to how it's shown here bkaradzic/bgfx

Not on the Android version of the app, at least.
maybe try the browser version? I doubt it's a paid feature. In the end, it's not a huge deal if we can't make it work.

Of course engine and game are technically separate; but for now, the only game that's 100% playable from the Open Source Code is TEHO; right?
Actually, any game that based on SE2 (CoAS, TEHO and a few others) except Dead Man's Chest can be used with this engine. It only requires a few tweaks (just several lines of code to be changed in scripts).

UPD: AoP: CT is not that easy to get working, but I think that had already been done once by konradk

Actually, any game that based on SE2 (CoAS, TEHO and a few others) except Dead Man's Chest can be used with this engine. It only requires a few tweaks (just several lines of code to be changed in scripts).
The 2003 PotC game was the first SE2 game.
For most of our active members, that's a game we're VERY interested in. :cheeky

@kb31 might have a version of CoAS that is run by this version of the engine.
Ah! Very nice. :woot

that's just for showing the number of online users on the Discord server similar to how it's shown here bkaradzic/bgfx
Is it the thing that's supposed to be showing here?
upload_2021-3-15_16-36-7.png

Whatever that is, it doesn't seem to be loading here at the moment...

maybe try the browser version? I doubt it's a paid feature.
I'll try when I get back home.
Currently in the office.

In the end, it's not a huge deal if we can't make it work.
Fair enough.
But nice features ARE nicer if we can actually put them to use... :cheeky

The 2003 PotC game was the first SE2 game.
For most of our active members, that's a game we're VERY interested in.
I think I meant 2.5+ :)
But it's definitely possible to make PotC working. The most awesome thing about all this is that we can set up crash/bug uploading (as a user option). So testers can generate big amount of debug info just by playing the game.
This requires some work on the engine and also we need a server for the backend. But I believe there are free options for open-source here

With the web interface, I DID find the button.
So Widget now enabled:
Code:
<iframe src="https://discord.com/widget?id=353218868896071692&theme=dark" width="350" height="500" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" sandbox="allow-popups allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox allow-same-origin allow-scripts"></iframe>
It says:
upload_2021-3-17_16-44-7.png

There is also something about a "JSON API".
Is that something you could use too?

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-17_16-44-3.png
    upload_2021-3-17_16-44-3.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 170
Back