• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates of Barbary by Adrian Tinniswood

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
[imgleft]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01603/pirates-m_1603622f.jpg[/imgleft]The Telgraph.co.uk has a review up on a new book by Adrian Tinniswood, Pirates of Barbary. This book is of course about the pirates of the Barbary Coast off the coast of North Africa in the 17'th century.

At dawn on January 12 1617, the Dolphin, an English merchantman bound for London, was sighted off the Sardinian coast by five Barbary pirate ships. There was time for the crew to say their prayers, eat dinner and listen to a rousing speech from the captain. Then all hell broke loose. The Dolphin was blasted with cannon shot and boarded, the corsairs 'entering our ship thick and threefold, with their scimitars, hatchets, half pikes and other weapons’. There was bloody hand-to-hand fighting; incendiary grenades set fire to the ship. One landed in the surgeon’s basin while he was tending the wounded; he calmly hurled the flaming vessel into the sea, and somehow the Dolphin managed to escape. The pirate captain responsible for this mayhem was a one-armed Londoner called Robert Walsingham.

It is out of such eyewitness accounts that Adrian Tinniswood weaves this mosaic account of piracy and slavery, cross-cultural contact and redemption along the shores of North Africa. Barbary was the abode of the Berbers – the patchwork of small Islamic fiefdoms centred on Algiers, Tunis, Tangiers and Tripoli which became, in the English imagination, the land of the Barbarians.

You can read the full review HERE!

Wow looks really good Thagarr. Review sold me on it. Always love something new. Unfortuneately, it's so new, that Amazon will not have it until November. :modding

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Barbary-Conquests-Seventeenth-Century-Mediterranean/dp/159448774X/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269816542&sr=8-10

Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled in book shops in my continuing travels. :keith

MK

Back