• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pintel&Ragetti

MaxusHonesta

Landlubber
Hey guys :) I have a problem. I´m searching for Pintel on Tortuga but can´t find him for the life of me. So I wondered if it was a bug. I found Ragetti, after Barbossa told me they´re both on the island, but when I talked to him he just said something like this: ...This is my uncle Pintel, we were, well.... and just stops talking. I can´t initiate another conversation with him. Don´t know what to do; I´d really like them to be part of me crew :D

Please upload your compile.log from your main game folder and maybe include a zipped up savegame too.

Please upload your compile.log from your main game folder and maybe include a zipped up savegame too.

This is a common problem with story quests involving Tortuga. A lot of people are running around, many of them picking fights with each other. The problem is, a location can only have a limited number of characters in it, and if there are already that many, nobody else can spawn there. Pintel was supposed to appear next to Ragetti but couldn't because there are too many people already there. Pintel is supposed to talk to you after Ragetti has said his piece, and Pintel's dialog is supposed to carry the quest forward. But if Pintel is not there then he can't talk to you, which stops the quest dead in its tracks.

This is a common problem with story quests involving Tortuga. A lot of people are running around, many of them picking fights with each other. The problem is, a location can only have a limited number of characters in it, and if there are already that many, nobody else can spawn there. Pintel was supposed to appear next to Ragetti but couldn't because there are too many people already there. Pintel is supposed to talk to you after Ragetti has said his piece, and Pintel's dialog is supposed to carry the quest forward. But if Pintel is not there then he can't talk to you, which stops the quest dead in its tracks.
Is that what it is? If so, probably a "vcskip" is required to temporarily get rid of all the random folk.

First, you'll need a savegame from before you went to the port area to meet Ragetti and Pintel. If you have a savegame while you're in the tavern talking to Barbossa, that would be fine, otherwise you probably need one from before you go to Tortuga.

Edit "PROGRAM\console.c". Under a line which says 'int limit;' add this:
Code:
Locations[FindLocation("Tortuga_Port")].vcskip = true;

Load that savegame. Press F12 to activate "console.c". If you've added the line correctly, you should get a message on screen "Executed console". When you next go to Tortuga, it should be rather less busy, and you have a better chance of seeing both Ragetti and Pintel.

To cancel it, edit "console.c" again and replace that line with this:
Code:
DeleteAttribute(&Locations[FindLocation("Tortuga_port")],"vcskip");
Again, press F12 to activate it; again, you should get the message "Executed console". You may want to wait until the storyline has completed before doing that. I haven't played "Hoist the Colours" and don't know how it goes, but if you cancel the 'vcskip' and restore the normal crowd to Tortuga, you may have a similar problem if the story requires you to go to Tortuga again later.

It seems it's the same bug I have. After hiring Barbossa in Tortuga, I need to do the same with Ragetti and Pintel. I find Ragetti but Pintel is not with him. I made a quick save in front of Ragetti and loaded it. Pintel appeared one second near Ragetti and afterward disappeared
1f615.png

Impossible to hire them...

First, you'll need a savegame from before you went to the port area to meet Ragetti and Pintel. If you have a savegame while you're in the tavern talking to Barbossa, that would be fine, otherwise you probably need one from before you go to Tortuga.

Edit "PROGRAM\console.c". Under a line which says 'int limit;' add this:
Code:
Locations[FindLocation("Tortuga_Port")].vcskip = true;

Load that savegame. Press F12 to activate "console.c". If you've added the line correctly, you should get a message on screen "Executed console". When you next go to Tortuga, it should be rather less busy, and you have a better chance of seeing both Ragetti and Pintel.

To cancel it, edit "console.c" again and replace that line with this:
Code:
DeleteAttribute(&Locations[FindLocation("Tortuga_port")],"vcskip");
Again, press F12 to activate it; again, you should get the message "Executed console". You may want to wait until the storyline has completed before doing that. I haven't played "Hoist the Colours" and don't know how it goes, but if you cancel the 'vcskip' and restore the normal crowd to Tortuga, you may have a similar problem if the story requires you to go to Tortuga again later.
If it fixes the bug, Tortuga must have this temporary code when we have to hire them.

It seems it's the same bug I have. After hiring Barbossa in Tortuga, I need to do the same with Ragetti and Pintel. I find Ragetti but Pintel is not with him. I made a quick save in front of Ragetti and loaded it. Pintel appeared one second near Ragetti and afterward disappeared
1f615.png

Impossible to hire them...
I don't know what's going on there, but it's not the same bug.

If there are too many characters already in play then the game can't spawn another one. The 'vcskip' prevents random characters from being spawned (highwaymen in jungles, walkers in towns, random thugs in both), so there aren't as many characters already in town, which means the quest character has a better chance of being spawned. Without it, if there are too many characters already in Tortuga, Pintel can't appear one second and then disappear - he can't appear at all.

Which means if you saw Pintel even briefly, something else is wrong. Could you do the same again, then post the log files?

Put this in console:
LogIt("loginedcharacters = " + LAi_numloginedcharacters);
and check how many characters there are at any time. If it's 32 already when Pintel's supposed to
show up that's the problem.

If so the solution is the delete 1 or more characters in Characters/init/Hispaniola starting
with Lars Andersson and going up in the file.

Put this in console:

and check how many characters there are at any time. If it's 32 already when Pintel's supposed to
show up that's the problem.
I did many tests, I have 31. By the way, Pintel shows up now.
But, as I said yesterday, if I make a save (a quick or normal one) in front of them and I load it, Pintel will disappear after one second.
@Grey Roger : I noted something else in Tortuga Port, it's impossible to use the fast travel. I have a message like "something is going on...".
Did anyone disabled the fast travel for quest purposes and forgot to enable it for the rest of the storyline?

Another problem i found in the storyline is when you steal the Interceptor. After stunning the governor, the soldiers and so on... on the pier, 2 new soldiers come to kill me. I run up to the blacksmith (like in the movie :)) but the door is locked like the tavern, the shop, the shipyard.... There is a problem, right?

I did many tests, I have 31. By the way, Pintel shows up now.
But, as I said yesterday, if I make a save (a quick or normal one) in front of them and I load it, Pintel will disappear after one second.
@Grey Roger : I noted something else in Tortuga Port, it's impossible to use the fast travel. I have a message like "something is going on...".
Did anyone disabled the fast travel for quest purposes and forgot to enable it for the rest of the storyline?
That message means a quest is active in that area - most likely the one involving Pintel and Ragetti. This is normal game behaviour. (The first time I encountered it, if I remember correctly, was in Sao Jorge. I couldn't teleport because the Artois Voysey side quest was waiting to make him wander off.)
Another problem i found in the storyline is when you steal the Interceptor. After stunning the governor, the soldiers and so on... on the pier, 2 new soldiers come to kill me. I run up to the blacksmith (like in the movie :)) but the door is locked like the tavern, the shop, the shipyard.... There is a problem, right?
No, that is what is supposed to happen. You do not run to the blacksmith, you fight the two new soldiers. In fact, the next quest case is triggered when you kill a specific one of them, so if it hasn't happened after you kill the first one, kill the other one as well. When you've killed the correct soldier, you should teleport to the shipyard, which for this scene plays the part of the blacksmith's shop because the real blacksmith's shop is probably too small.

That message means a quest is active in that area - most likely the one involving Pintel and Ragetti. This is normal game behaviour.
I finished the main quest and I still have this problem. Impossible to fast travel in Tortuga port...
Otherwise, I noted at the end that almost all the quest texts are not closed. Even when playing the main quest, I had to check many quest texts to know which one was updated...
Another point, after finishing the main quest, Annamaria and Mr. Gibbs are our officers. Why not give them the "Officer dialogues", they could be more useful.

I finished the main quest and I still have this problem. Impossible to fast travel in Tortuga port...
Otherwise, I noted at the end that almost all the quest texts are not closed. Even when playing the main quest, I had to check many quest texts to know which one was updated...
Another point, after finishing the main quest, Annamaria and Mr. Gibbs are our officers. Why not give them the "Officer dialogues", they could be more useful.
Can you upload a saved game after the main story is finished? That message about "Something is going to happen" comes from "PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\reload_tables.c". It should be possible to make this list any active quests which cause fast travel to fail.

I Would like. In-game, I can see my savegames but if I go to the folder called SAVE, I can't find them. It's really weird. And I have the same problem with CoaS. With an old buildmod, I didn't have this kind of problem... just for information, i have Windows 10.

Back