• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pinnace26

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
De Zeeroovers have released another ship to POTC! I have named her Pinnace26 for now and better names are welcome.

She is ported into my POTC install and sails quite nicely. In fact the only question left is how to integrate her into POTC.

Should she be added as another medium pinnace like pinnace 1 and 2?

Should she replace one of them?

Or..............

There is already an earlier version of this ship in POTC. The FR_LightPinnace. This ship is specially made for a quest by Jack Rackham. But that ship is too big to be a light pinnace IMO.

Could the PO_LightPinnace be used to replace this ship and then the 2 similar ships be used to replace pinnace 1 and 2?

beta3 2014-06-08 19-22-18-17.jpg beta3 2014-06-12 18-42-51-16.jpg

What are the main stats differences between the new pinnace and the older similar ones? That might help us to decide how best to use them.

Do you mean what are the differences between pinnace 1&2 and pinnace26 and FR_LightPinnace?

Well, pinnace 1&2 are a little bit longer, wider, and taller but have much less hull below the waterline. I used the stats for pinnace1 as the base for pinnace26 and pretty much just made her a little slower to reflect the less efficient sail layout and the deeper more squared off hull. Here are pics of the bottoms of the ships plus one of a light pinnace so you can see the differences.
pinnace1-1.jpg pinnace26-1.jpg lightpinnace-1.jpg

The pinnace26 is a large substantial ship that fits that slot very well alongside the large fleut, while I feel the old pinnaces are better suited for the large warship role like the pinnace of war because of their size. Plus many of them have been messed up over the years and parts can no longer be read in TOOL.

Sounds as though the new pinnace should be set up like pinnace1 as you said, but slower and with more cargo space to reflect its boxy hull.
Pinnace1 and 2 do sound like more military vessels because of their hull shape, but still capable merchant ships, while FR_LightPinnace is probably only 'light' in terms of armament.
The newer LightPinnace like the Portuguese one looks 'light' in terms of hull shape and size, so it should be the fastest of the group with the smallest capacity.

Maybe pinnace26 should be named "MediumPinnace" or "MerchantPinnace"? That would prevent confusion with previous versions.

How they are set up now is:

light pinnace = 2000 tons

medium pinnace = 3000 tons (NL_Pinnace)

pinnace1 = 5000 tons

pinnace 26 = 5000 tons

war pinnace variants = 4000 tons

They all have the same speed and turn rate except pinnace 26 which has had its speed reduced to about the same as the heavy fleuts.

The FR_lightpinnace is the same size as pinnace26 with the only difference being the number of cannons, 16 vs 26. If she gets moved up to a full size pinnace I would keep her speed and increase the hold to 5500 tons.

Giving FR_LightPinnace and Pinnace26 a 5500 ton cargo capacity sounds good to me. The former should of course be faster than Pinnace26 because of carrying fewer guns.

I think he uses FR_LightPinnace to represent the real Queen Anne's Revenge, right? In that sense, one of the other LightPinnace models probably wouldn't fit that role.

I'd keep Pinnace1 and 2 at least for the sake of variety. Maybe they could be graphically improved in future, anyway.

In that case pinnace 26 should just be added as another ship. Pinnace1 could still be upgraded but the hull and deck of pinnace2 can not be read.

As for a name merchantpinnace could work.

Quest uses for FR_LightPinnace:
- Ship of Edward Teach; as far as I can tell from the code, she is only shown in the background of one scene
- Ship of Rozanne Lalliere in Assassin and Bartolomeu storylines

Yes I use it as the real QAR. It's ok with another color scheme but I like the lightpinnace model.

Ok, I have checked the ships: there is only one model left like the FR_lightpinnace.
I really prefer that one compared with the NL/PO/SP ones for my quest use.
Why not just add another ship? If you want/need to rename the one I'm using no problem.

Well, I did it now. :pirate07:

I decided to rename it from pinnace26 to Merchant Pinnace and now it is crashing so hard it is taking out my video card! :8q Would you believe it is crashing because "perks" is looking for the old name? :facepalm

DamifIknow! :sparrow

So I started a new game, the Sea Hawk one, and it is working fine. I can only guess that something trashed my old game. :nerbz All I can do is keep playing. :fiddler

Pinnace26 has been renamed to merchant pinnace and I have seen it in shipyards with this new game but do not yet have the funds to buy her. When I can confirm that she does indeed work properly I will put a package together and post it.

The old game is still crashing. I wuz up to level 40 or so too. :pirateraft

Back