• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Peter Blood, why u get shot at by all towns not pirate aligned

JesusJuice42

Landlubber
So I completed the PB starting quest, and my trading license with England expired. I've been chartering my ship for pirate shops (and English shops when the license worked) and I've used that money to payoff the pirate diplomat to make England, France, and United Providences neutral,. But when I go to, say a French port, the guards stop me each time saying there's something fishy about me, and then they kill me.

It really pisses me off they do this when I spent a point to get a french flag, and I spent like 20k to get France to neutral standing, yet here they are still shooting at me, along with everyone else. What gives? do I really have to buy a temporary trading license for boo-koo dollars each time I want to visit a non pirate faction? Whats the point of even having a diplomat if going from hostile to neutral does nothing? RAGEEE

Any advice appreciated.

I'm running GOF 2.0 patch 1.4 beta

Last edited:
What is your Nation ( the nation symbol on your character portrait on the F2 > Character screen).
If it is Pirate then the Forts & Guards will be hostile to you.
If it is English, and France is at war with England then the French towns Forts & guards will be hostile to you. Using a French "false" Flag can get you past the fort but the town guards should still be hostile, I think.

I think that to get into a town without being killed by the guards / fired at by the fort ( if you go to the town's port - rather than going to a beach and into town from the jungle).

You need :-

1 - to be able to fly the flag of the town's Nation, plus
2 - have a Trading License for the Town's Nation. OR
3 - have a Privateers License / Letter of Mark from the Town's Nation. (changes the Nation symbol on your character portrait ). Or a Nation not at war with the Town's nation.

Trading Licenses & Privateers License /Letters of Mark are obtained from the Town's Governors or can be bought from the Diplomat in the Pirate Taverns.

Trading licenses only last for 30 days ( I think ) but a Privateers License / Letter of Mark - has no time limit ( expires when you attack ship or town belonging to the country that issued it ( you can only have a Privateers License / Letter of Mark from one Nation at a time, so if you have one and get a new one from a different nation then the original will disappear).

Not sure if you can have a Privateers License / Letter of Mark from one Nation & a Trade License from another at the same time and both work.

So if you are buying from the Diplomat then it is probably better to buy a Privateers License / Letter of Mark rather than a Trade License. ( That is my preferred option anyway.)

:drunk

Last edited:
Thank you for you reply, its quite helpful. He was aligned with Britain, I did however decide to move on to a new profile character with The United Providences to just avoid the frustration. I'll be posting a separate thread on the following: Now I actually have a newer frustration lol. My game is crashing now more frequently then before, with the "Engine has stopped working" windows looking for a solution crap. It was crashing very infrequently last night, i played for hours and hours around 4+ straight until it finally did crash randomly. I could deal with that. No changes, when to bed, I have been getting them much more frequently, almost like every 20 min, once it was less then 2 min as my next "scene change" did it in.

I then tried running in win 7 compatibility mode sp3 or whatever, turned down to 264 bit color, and I thought I was golden. Then 20 min or so later it crashes.

Note: I have been running it in 1920x1080p by making that simple change in the config (extent of my programming skills lol). I have yet to change it back to test it for 2 reasons; the game looks pretty good at that resolution, my computer should have more then enough graphics and cpu processing power to handle the mod and game (right?), and i forgot what the original values of the configs default resolution was.

My perception is it seems like the errors are getting more frequent as my charactor has progressed. Are their any other workarounds? I really don't want to make a new file. If I do I'll probably try the new TEHO on steam (though I wont hold my breath).

Im running windows 10 64bit
AOP2 GOF 2, patch 1.4beta
i5 4690k OC to 4.6
Two HD6950's crossfired 2gb vram
8gb memory

Dxdiag

Back