• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Period Music

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
This thread is for the discussion and sharing of period music from all eras.

I'll start with the most obvious topic:

Period music seems to be very underrated with the younger generations. There's plenty of good stuff from hundreds of years ago. Most very old music seems to be publicly held in contempt by the majority of younger people*, yet they haven't been exposed to it at all, and they have no idea what it sounds like. I feel that many of the modern social norms regarding old music were dropped, it would have a serious shot at becoming more popular. Thoughts?

*Possibly for the sake of remaining "cool."

And a piece of period music: A medieval German minnesang piece. (Reposted from my post in the M&B thread)

The way I see it it's not a question of Beatles OR Bach.
My alternative is not on the list: "Any music that creates the right atmosphere".
(in better english)

Some recordings of my kit-built Memling medieval fiddle, complete with a few slip-ups each. It's still missing hat one string. I haven't been able to order the tuning peg yet since the Spaniards are on their two week long holiday break.

We here in Queensland, Australia have the largest Medieval Faire in Australia/Southern Hemisphere so there is always every year lovely medieval music like the links posted which I always loved. One of the hardest things with anything before Renaissance/Baroque is how hard it is to find a recording, as the popularity for such music nowadays has only grown recently.

Some of my favourites:

(a re-interpretation of Hanter Dro)

I have some recordings but not too keen on defrauding the artists of their copyright works :)

I think what Jack Rackham said basically sums it up for me. Though personally I listen to music mostly from the 2oth century (from countries around the world) I also like folk music from other countries as well. There is a traditional music channel on YouTube that has tens of thousands of hours of traditional music from around the world, including American music (I don't think very many Americans realize that America has its own folk music.)

The YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/pupsibaerle1

Back