• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Period-Accuracy of Carronades

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
@modernknight1 says:
Interesting. I had now idea New Horizons had carronades. FYI the carronade only came into regular common use in the last quarter of the 18th century and were widely adopted for naval use in the early 19th century, so if these are available earlier than that - well you see where I am going...
By default, USE_REAL_CANNONS is ON and then there are "CANNON" and "CARRONADE" to choose from. If this is switched off, then it is "CANNON" and "CULVERINE". I don't know about the historical context of either, but perhaps you could weigh in? I imagine adding an if-statement in there to prevent inaccurate guns from appearing in the wrong time periods should be quite doable. But when to do this and when not to? And wouldn't this reduce gameplay if you can't choose between two types of guns anymore?

According to Wikipedia, carronades were first used in the late 18th century. If we're going to impose period accuracy on carronades then they should be restricted to the last two periods.

Culverins, at least when referring to artillery, weren't long-barrelled versions of other cannons, they were the equivalent of a calibre. A culverin was an 18 pounder. A demi-culverin was a 9 pounder and a saker was a 6 pounder. (Actually 17 pounder, 8 pounder and 5 pounder respectively - I'm rounding up to game cannon sizes.) In the 18th century, Britain began to stop using these names and simply referred to the weight of the shot fired, and continued doing that until well into the 20th century.

@modernknight1 says:
Well the culverine was the hard hitting gun of that time and were considerably more difficult to manufacture and exhorbitantly more expensive. I've been working on a new cannon mod for years now which will bring bronze guns into the mix vs iron guns with appropriate weight reflected as well as a dozen new cannon sizes that are reflective of the foundries of differing nations.
My own personal thought is what limiting one of the two cannon types will do for gameplay...

Back