• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

OMG! it worked :D Widescreen AOP2

kiithsomtaaw

Landlubber
Well after a a lot of trial and error attempts I found a way to trick the game into running a wide-screen format without cutting parts off the screen.

First off I use a 1920 by 1080 24 inch screen at an aspect of 16:9, so unless you have a 16:9 screen this will not work for you, you will have to recalculate the resolution setting yourself.

open the "engine.ini" file

Set "full_screen" to 0

set "screen_x" to 1920

here comes the interesting bit even though my screen is a hight of 1080 we are going to set it to 1440

set "screen_y" to 1440

Start the game,

nothing is cut off,

Can you fill me in on the calculation you used? I am the worst at math. I'm running 1680x1050 usually (16:10).

On my super high res 24" I have run it up to 3200 X 1440. I've noticed using a variety of resolutions on my big screens (32" and 42") that it looks best using 1600x900.

One problem with any of the widescreen resolution settings is that you cut off your RPGs feet from view in most places, the ships appear just slightly taller and you are zoomed in slightly. This can be very annoying with the ships.

Lots of folks have asked if there is a fix for the camera zoom problem and I found it though fiddling with the best combinations for widescreen.

First you need to go into Program/SEA_AI/AICameras

Find this code:

SeaFreeCamera.Perspective = 1.285;

// Ship camera paramerets
SeaShipCamera.Perspective = 1.285;

Change to:

SeaFreeCamera.Perspective = 1.885;

// Ship camera paramerets
SeaShipCamera.Perspective = 1.885;

By doing this you will be able to zoom out much more which I like very much for sea battles.

I've fiddled with this a lot and can say from experience that if you set it any higher than 1.9 you will start to see bending distortions.

I'm still trying to figure out which perspective or view line I can modify for land zoom so I can see my RPG's feet again. I will find it.

Have fun! :onya

MK

It works!!! Put your native resolution in engine.ini and tune your camera as modernknight1 said.. I use 1680x1050 16:10 widescreen. Game main menu will be stretched vertically too much but ingame screen is normal ... :will

Enjoy :keith

Hi,

Even the ships in SeaDogs don't look too bad with the resolution tweaked up.
[attachment=6176:shot0000.jpg]

That's at 2048 x 1536.

damski.

I guess it worked on sea. But i still have some problems with on-land camera angles. Engine only supports 4:3 resolutions. So when i set my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080) there will be some screen cut off. You can set any resolution in the engine.ini file, but if it isn't 4:3, game crops the bottom of the screen away. And if you set for any 4:3 resolutions you have to play in a windowed screen.
I'm also playing Pirates Odyssey - To each his own, it's still the same story. There isn't a real widescreen support in that game either.
aop2land.jpg aoplandw.jpg

Last edited:
Your second pic didn't make it. Perhaps you could use thumbnails?

I no longer notice the missing feet. It has been many years since I had a 4x3 monitor.

I guess it worked on sea. But i still have some problems with on-land camera angles. Engine only supports 4:3 resolutions. So when i set my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080) there will be some screen cut off. You can set any resolution in the engine.ini file, but if it isn't 4:3, game crops the bottom of the screen away. And if you set for any 4:3 resolutions you have to play in a windowed screen.
I'm also playing Pirates Odyssey - To each his own, it's still the same story. There isn't a real widescreen support in that game either.
View attachment 16900 View attachment 16901

This is called Vert- deficiency regarding the 3D engine design.
The problem is the locking of camera angles, which can be overridden in the game files to provide proper widescreen support on land as well.
Without making these changes, the limitation remains.
I began development on my threads to explain this and how to do it, but have moved onto other goals.

I would like to know how to change the Vert- deficiency values in the game files to have proper widescreen support on land as well. I know by now how to change the resolution, the Aspect Ratio and the zooming out at sea. Could you please tell me how to get the correct zooming out on land for my 32 inch monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution?

Back