• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Old Royal Naval College Restoration

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
This may be a bit of old news to some of you, but I ran across an article earlier this week while I was searching for news and I thought I would share a bit with you. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Old Royal Navy Colege, I am mainly from films and some historical research I have done in the past. You may not know that it is currently undergoing a restoration process to restore the sites most famous attraction, The Painted Hall.

It was of course, featured prominently in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film On Stranger Tides, and has been featured in many, many other films and TV shows as well. Aside from the fact that it is an absolutely gorgeous building both inside and out, as with most things in England, there is a lot of history behind it. Though the sites history dates back to before Roman times, it was also the setting of a Viking invasion that camped on Blackheath and kidnapped the Archbishop of Canterbury in Greenwich in 1011, in a failed attempt at collecting a ransom which the Archbishop refused to pay.

The college was originally commissioned as the Royal Hospital for Seamen by Royal Charter of Queen Anne in 1694. It is said that part of the fund for the college were originally part of Captain Kidd's estate, but because he was tried, found guilty and hung for piracy, those funds are recorded as simply coming from Queen Anne herself.

The Hall was designed by Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor, it was originally intended as an eating space for the naval veterans who lived at the Royal Hospital for Seamen. Its exuberant wall and ceiling decorations are by James Thornhill and pay tribute to British Naval power. It took Thornhill 19 years to complete his work. What he was paid for the work was insignificant compared to what he created, although he was later knighted for his fantastic work.

The ravages of time are beginning to take their toll on the old building however, and the Greenwich Foundation, the charity behind the ORNC, is asking for donations to help fund the restoration process. Previous restorations were done back in the late 195o's and early 60's. A few days ago, the restoration process got a big financial boost when it was selected to receive a £335,000 award by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the Painted Hall conservation.

You can find out more about the Old Royal Naval College, and the Greenwich Foundation over at there official web page HERE, you can also help the restoration process by donating HERE!

Attachments

• ornclogo.gif
    ornclogo.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 18
Back