• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Officers gone...

Carl

Sailor Apprentice
Well, me again! :yes

This time I have a problem with my officers and my ships.

I am playing the vanilla storyline, and after the meeting with Danielle at the lighthouse I need to find better ships. Now there are two problems.

First at all - and it may be a bug - often ships disappear from my list or change their appearance. Three times, when I visited the wharf I lost ships, and one time a pinacle changed into a fast brig... Strange but happens sometimes. Maybe something that needs to be fixed?

And then I have a problem with my officers. Some time ago a man called Edgar Attwood joined my party. But I never found him after he joined. He is in my list with a harbor sign on his picture, and I have no clue, what it means. Can I look for him on any island? I definitely need him, maybe someone can tell me more.

All tips welcome, thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Please post the compile.log file from your main game folder.

First at all - and it may be a bug - often ships disappear from my list or change their appearance. Three times, when I visited the wharf I lost ships, and one time a pinacle changed into a fast brig... Strange but happens sometimes. Maybe something that needs to be fixed?
How often do you use the Ship Repaint/Apearance option at the Shipyard?

And then I have a problem with my officers. Some time ago a man called Edgar Attwood joined my party. But I never found him after he joined. He is in my list with a harbor sign on his picture, and I have no clue, what it means. Can I look for him on any island? I definitely need him, maybe someone can tell me more.
Could be this bug: Fixed - Edgar Attwood does not join if you have no free officer slot | PiratesAhoy!
@Grey Roger recently made a fix for that. It is already included in the latest modpack version though, so I do wonder what exact modpack version you are currently running.

All tips welcome, thanks in advance! :)

Edgar Attwood has a quest :yes

If you are at the point where he joined your crew after you were released from prison - then he has deserted you and you have to find him. he should be in the tavern in Bridgetown, Barbados.

It is rather difficult to explain the quest without knowing exactly what you have done since meeting Edgar in the Prison in the main story. :read

you can check the walkthrough for Edgar's side quest here :- Edgar Attwood Adventures | PiratesAhoy!

:drunk

I don´t use the appearence option, also no ship repaint. I arrive at the wharf, and opening any menu options like upgrades seem to change ships.
This is no real big problem as I save VERY often but I thought, I should report it. ;)

And well, I am playing the latest version, exept, that I started the game before updating with the jan7th2017 exe. I have no clue where to find my officer. He is in my passenger list as captain, not as a gunner. Should I look at Port Royale? Maybe he is waiting there?

EDIT: thanks Talisman, didn´t saw your answer. I will check for him at Port Royale first.

Last edited:
I don´t use the appearence option, also no ship repaint. I arrive at the wharf, and opening any menu options like upgrades seem to change ships.
This is no real big problem as I save VERY often but I thought, I should report it. ;)
Always better to report a bug than to not report it. :yes

Could you please make an "official report" for it by starting a new thread for that bug on the Build Mod Bug Tracker | PiratesAhoy!

And well, I am playing the latest version, exept, that I started the game before updating with the jan7th2017 exe.
So Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP, Updated 7 January 2017?
With or without the "extra fix archive" by @Grey Roger?
I don't think that makes a difference in this case, but it's always good to know for sure.

About Edgar Attwood:
You've escaped from the prison cell, met Governor Silehard, and told him you want to hire Attwood. Silehard wants money, and if you pay him, Attwood appears when you enter the port area. If you have a free slot, i.e. you don't already have three officers in your shore party, Attwood joins you and becomes an active officer.

It used to be that if you didn't have a free slot, i.e. you did already have three officers in your shore party, then Attwood couldn't join you, so he'd be stuck at Port Royale port - every time you are in that area, he'd follow you around, but would never leave the port. The fix I made is that if you have no free slot in your shore party, Attwood joins you as a passenger, and my guess is that this is what has happened here. If a picture of him is in your list then he's a passenger. Go to the "Passengers" screen, where you can assign and remove officers in your shore party (except Danielle, if she's joined you then you can't remove her). You should be able to assign Edgar Attwood to your shore party from there.

As for the ships which go missing or change type - are these your own ship, or are they commanded by one of your officers?

Also:
And well, I am playing the latest version, exept, that I started the game before updating with the jan7th2017 exe.
I wonder if that's the reason for the ship weirdness. Continuing a savegame from an older version to a newer version can do odd things.

Last edited:
About Edgar Attwood:
You've escaped from the prison cell, met Governor Silehard, and told him you want to hire Attwood. Silehard wants money, and if you pay him, Attwood appears when you enter the port area. If you have a free slot, i.e. you don't already have three officers in your shore party, Attwood joins you and becomes an active officer.

It used to be that if you didn't have a free slot, i.e. you did already have three officers in your shore party, then Attwood couldn't join you, so he'd be stuck at Port Royale port - every time you are in that area, he'd follow you around, but would never leave the port. The fix I made is that if you have no free slot in your shore party, Attwood joins you as a passenger, and my guess is that this is what has happened here. If a picture of him is in your list then he's a passenger. Go to the "Passengers" screen, where you can assign and remove officers in your shore party (except Danielle, if she's joined you then you can't remove her). You should be able to assign Edgar Attwood to your shore party from there.

As for the ships which go missing or change type - are these your own ship, or are they commanded by one of your officers?

Also:

I wonder if that's the reason for the ship weirdness. Continuing a savegame from an older version to a newer version can do odd things.

Thank you! One after the other:
Indeed I recruited Eddie, and well I had three officers active then. So he didn´t join but is in the list of my chars.

He is no passenger, so the fix seemed to come too late for me. Is there any other option? Could it be that he stays in Port Royale?

The missing ship is always the second one commanded by an officer. Sometimes it´s not going missed but changes into another ship type. I´ve made a post in the bug report´s section.

Meh, I miss Eddie...:(

Last edited:
Thank you! One after the other:
Indeed I recruited Eddie, and well I had three officers active then. So he didn´t join but is in the list of my chars.

He is no passenger, so the fix seemed to come too late for me. Is there any other option? Could it be that he stays in Port Royale?
I don't understand. Your list of characters are your passengers.

The fix should be included in the 7th January install. But try going to Port Royale and have a look around the port area - don't go through the gate into the main town. If Edgar Attwood is stuck there, you'll soon find him because he'll home in on you. However, if that's the case then he shouldn't be in your list of characters either.

I don't understand. Your list of characters are your passengers.
Nah, there are two different menues, one is the character menue, with skills and perks, and the other one is the passenger menue. Eddie is only in my char menue, but he is not in the passenger list. I can give him perks but he is not availlable.

I really hope, he is in Port Royale, on his picture is a anchor thumbnail, all others have the party sign in the right upper corner of their picture.

An anchor thumbnail means he's in command of a ship you berthed somewhere.

You want to hope Edgar Attwood is not wandering around in Port Royale! If he is stuck there, you're never going to get him as an officer. That's exactly the situation I got into in one game when I was playing the standard storyline - I'd tried to hire him, but already had three officers, so he got stuck. That was why I wrote the fix. ;)

Nah, there are two different menues, one is the character menue, with skills and perks, and the other one is the passenger menue. Eddie is only in my char menue, but he is not in the passenger list. I can give him perks but he is not availlable.
That sounds super weird! :shock
You may want to upload your savegame (ZIP it up first).

Okay, here I come with pictures and attached savegame:

The first pictures are out from the character menu, where you can see the different thumbnails for officers - still I have no clue, what they mean:

And here my passengers (not all of them) but Eddie isn´t here:

I hope, this can help. The pictures were made after I berthed my ships to get rid of them. The savegame is made short before that action, so you can visit any shipyard to experience my ship problem also.

Thanks for all your hints and thoughts. Damn, I LOVE this old game, and I only want to finish the vanilla storyline once (as I always failed before). ;)

Attachments

• -=Player=- Barbados. Barbados lighthouse.rar
    775.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Most of the thumbnails at the top right of a character picture correspond to the character's job - for example, Edward Bunclarkeig is a gunner, so the thumbnail shows a cannon crew. The exceptions are Leborio Drago, whose thumbnail is a ship, he's in command of one of your other ships; and Edgar Attwood. You say you have berthed some ships to get rid of them. The anchor on Edgar Attwood's picture shows that he is in one of them. The ships aren't gone, they're stored in shipyards somewhere, so if you can find where your berthed ships are, you should be able to get Edgar back.

And that's why Edgar doesn't show up as one of your passengers. He's not a passenger on your ship, he's on another ship in a harbour somewhere. Likewise, you won't find Leborio Drago as a passenger on your ship because he's on another ship in your fleet.

In any case, Edgar Attwood is not critical to the main storyline. You should still be able to finish that, regardless of whether you find Edgar again.

@Grey Roger,
thank you! It seems, that I berthed my best captain, shame on me... :oops:

EDIT: I was sure to have berthed the ship without captain, totally wrong here.

Yeah, Eddie is in my crew again, so it´s solved. :yes

But I take it by chance to ask something different, not really a problem but I found no explanation. I definately know, why my char has some boni. But I don´t understand the penalties system. Three of my officers, sadly my first mate too, got a minus 1 in melee. Did I oversee something here? I really needed some time to find the right click explanation for skills, so I have to admit: sometimes I react like a snug... o_O

And a last question, you may laugh about but... Wich way is the best to not pay so much wages? My officer´s salary is making them rich (if I don´t count Eddie)? ;)

Thanks again for all your help here. :yes

Last edited:
Aahh... This indeed could be. Since I started again with 1.4 I found so much new content and features - it´s amazing. Only there is little to nothing, that explains most of these things, so sometimes I really feel like the landlubber I am... :oops:

What is "1.4"?

What Realism Mode are you playing on?
The item skill modifiers are usually shown at least on Arcade Game Mode.

Sorry, I am playing the build 14 beta 4-1, and yes, I am playing in arcade mode. :oops:

Back